E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

e55 amg manual s210 wagon swap - build thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 10:58 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Following
Old 05-24-2021, 02:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts
Current: 00 e55 6 speed wagon, 99 e55, 00 ml55, 02 m3, 83 ur quattro
Originally Posted by MattCordell
Looks fantastic dude!
You have come a long way with your Frankenstein wagon the S210.
At DMV are you going to re-register this vehicle from previous E320 to be an E55 AMG?

What was the reason you scraped the silver E55 AMG?
Rust issues or other problems?

Crossfire transmission how does it hold up with the massive torque from the 5,4 lump?

The tuxedo red-black front seats your brother gave you.
Are you going to fully re-upholster them with new skin?

Your brothers C43 AMG
Are you going to make a write up with photos of the engine swap and other mods?

Keep up the good work
Thank you! not sure about DMV but I will try to get it registered with the v8 so I'll be able to smog it. Not sure on the details quite yet.

The silver e55 was crashed by my friend quite a few years ago. Sold to the guy I bought it from and he repaired it very poorly. It could have been fixed properly but it would have required pulling the engine anyway to repair the front end and many other things. Wasn't worth it. I did not trust any of the front end parts which is why subframe and front suspension was sourced from other cars.

Crossfire transmission hasn't skipped a beat so far. They are known for having slightly weak synchros and when I installed it I found out the 5th gear synchro was going out. It had over 100k miles when I put it into my car but it has not gotten worse. Other than that its been flawless. I think I have around 25k miles on it.

For seats I am also not quite sure what I want to do. If I keep the burgundy I'll get them reupholstered and I'll do the rear seats to match. My brothers car and my parts car both had the same interior so I took the best 2 of the 4 seats I had.

I won't do a write up for my brothers car but I will tell him that he should hahaha.
Old 05-24-2021, 03:33 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
320e
unbeliveable overhaul

Originally Posted by kyle210
Thank you! There is actually a huge weight savings on the transmission. Especially when you factor in auto trans, torque converter, and stock flywheel and compare with manual trans and lightweight flywheel that I have. According to some quick research the 722.6 weighs around 175 pounds and the 716.6 feels no more than half that. I was able to pick it up and move it around pretty easily by just lifting it. This car revs up stupidly quick because of the amount of mass thats gone (one of the reasons I decided to not run a mechanical fan on this car) which makes downshift blips the most satisfying part of driving hahaha
You are a madman and obviously a talented mechanic. Congratulations on what you've achieved. I think few in the world could have put that thing back together the way you did.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E240
Congratulations on your project, and a nice writeup.
One thing i can add, in Europe there was a E240 with the M112, and it was available in manual, unlike the E320. It's the perfect source for all of the manual swap parts, shift boots, linkages etc.
The prefacelift E240 also had some hotter cams that fit the E320, but that's not relevant in this thread.
Once again, congrats on the build.
Old 02-28-2022, 10:44 PM

S210
Originally Posted by kyle210
Hello everyone, I think it is time to introduce myself and my car. This post will be a build thread for the car and will also include the diy of the manual swap because I know that is probably why people are here. I have always stalked the forums but never really posted. I have slightly more of a presence on Instagram (@kylejeworski & @socalw210s) and Facebook. I have always been a huge fan of the w210 stuff after receiving an e320 for my first car blah blah blah. I'll try not to bore you. After a good friend of mine named Abraham (@kinghorn.x, thanks for the help <3) did an e55 swap into his e320 wagon I was intrigued. I already had an e55 sedan and had always wanted the wagon version. I decided I wanted to build one since we didn't get the s210 amg in the states. After I made that decision, I found some guy on Facebook that had manual swapped his e55. He basically told me to get everything out of a crossfire and it will work. And besides that, I could not find any other info. At all. Cool, I'm in. So all I needed was an e55, a wagon, and a Chrysler Crossfire.

Ok I lied, I already had the E55. Long story short this car had a history. My good friend bought it, crashed it, sold it. Some guy bought it, "fixed it" (I will get to that later), and a few years later thought it needed a new transmission so sold it to me. I ended up buying it back for my friend knowing the price was so good that if he did not want it I could flip it pretty easy (this was before the 55 wagon idea). After my friend had it parked for a few months he told me he didn't want it. I don't blame him, it needed much more work than we initially thought. So then I asked the question. I know this was your first amg and you love it more than anything... can I strip it for parts and junk it? I told him I would (hopefully) be making a much better car out of it. He reluctantly said yes. And the price of this 2000 e55? $1k. With 120k miles, ruby interior and silver exterior. Yeah. I towed it to a mechanic, he reset the trans codes which took it out of limp mode and it turns out all it needed was an auto shifter. I wouldn't be needing that anyway. Andddd this is when it got real.

January 2019 - first day purchased for my friend

March 2019 - picking it up, taking it to the mechanic to reset transmission codes

finally at home and driving normally for the first time

had to get some of the cars together in a pic

I did the entire swap in my parents garage. So because I did not want to be kicked out of the house, I decided to strip the E55 and junk the shell first, and then source the wagon all while looking for a crossfire at a junkyard to take some of its parts. This way I wouldn't be stripping 2 cars at the same time. I do want to note - I am not a mechanic. Nor am I even close to one or live in a family with one. I had never taken an engine out before this. I had barely just replaced the rear main seal on my other e55 sedan and done a timing belt on an Audi TT so I guess I thought I was ready to build a car that hadn't been built before.

July 2019 - last time the car was supporting its own weight

Not the best looking engine bay

engine and trans out

car completely stripped and ready for the junkyard

bye

I found out a little too late that I had picked a bad year for the donor e55. Since it was a 2000, to make the swap much much easier I had to source a 2000 wagon. This is because even though the 2000 is the first year of the facelift, it still has the me2.0 ecu and electronics of the prefacelift. For the prefacelifts, the 98 and 99 will work together (although the e55 was only first available in 1999). And the 01-02 e55s will work with the 01-03 wagons with me2.8. Still not sure why the wagons were gifted to us in 03.

Since I did not want to have to convert to me2.8 and I wanted to be able to swap some of the e55 facelift body panels onto the wagon I was stuck looking for a 2000. And I already knew it needed to be silver with black interior. So I began searching and I found a cheap one on OfferUp in a surprisingly short amount of time with 190k miles. I shrewdly negotiated my way down to $1600 because of things it needed that obviously did not matter to me. It needed a ton of work in every department. It did have heated seats and hid headlights though! But I did want to live the stock e320 wagon life for a little while. I spent a few hours fixing and replacing basic things (like the nonexistent motor mounts) and left on a 1,000 mile road trip 2 days after buying it. I may have tried to blow up the engine a few times by seeing how long I could keep it at redline, but we all know it's impossible to kill an m112.

August 2019 - wagon purchased!

road trip to Pinecrest lake directly after purchasing

While I was looking for and then driving the wagon, I was restoring all the parts that came from the e55. This was no easy task. Although everything only had 120k miles on it, it seemed like EVERYTHING had 120k miles on it. Including the engine oil. I only know it was not the original oil because all the oil was lost in the crash. But I am sure the oil that went in at 100k miles after replacing the oil pan was the oil I took out at 120k miles. And if it was the correct oil it would not have looked how it did. The oil pan only had half the necessary bolts and all those looked like some self tapping screws for wood. I do not even know how it was holding any oil. So I was able to clean and reuse the lower oil pan but every bolt hole in the upper pan was stripped. Luckily my good friend Jesse (@bigbirdbenztech who actually helped me a ton with everything and answered all the dumb questions I had) in Washington had an extra one so I traded him an e55 ecu he needed for it. Guess what he needed the ecu for? An s210 e55 wagon he was building!

Basically every single thing the previous owner had "fixed" from my friends crash either had to be re-fixed or replaced completely. How fun. I also replaced or painted everything on the engine without actually taking it apart. And because I have always loved the color copper I decided it would look really good on my valve covers and brake calipers. Because everyone likes to do a silver intake manifold I went with a wrinkle black finish. And to complete the look, a wire wheel to the exhaust manifold to make it shiny again.

August 2019

had to pressure wash to get it decently clean

those should not be that color

replaced and sealed pans

that's what bad oil will do

right before rms install

More to come soon
hello Kyle nice work , that is my dream , I have right now a S210 2002 wagon exactly yours color . I I have experienced many problems with the original transmission and especially with the torque converter, so I think that a manual transmission would be excellent, but this post is not exactly about that , since I know that it is too much work for me right now because also mine It's 4matic and I wouldn't want to lose that, now my question is: I got a 2000 e55 engine at the yonker, I know that if I want to change the transmission, it's going to be a huge mess because I have to change the front and rear differential, so I thought : will it be possible to only change the motor? keeping the same transmission of the E320 that I understand is the same and only the ratios change, I know you said that the cable branches for the Ecu are different but maybe and just maybe I can use the complete wires of the E55? Or do you definitely think it's not worth it? thanks for your attention and enjoy your car
​​​​​​​
Old 03-16-2022, 08:57 AM

1998 C250 TD MT WAGON
Now i want to turn my diesel w202 wagon into a c43 wagon, or even better, a 5.4 na or the 5.4k
Old 05-23-2022, 03:38 PM

02 01 00 E320 wagons
Hi Kyle,
While searching for a donor 2002 E320 wagon donor I came across a 2002 E320 with E55 Conversion, So i got half the job done.
Old 05-23-2022, 03:41 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts
'06 E55
Originally Posted by 2000w210wagon
Hi Kyle,
While searching for a donor 2002 E320 wagon donor I came across a 2002 E320 with E55 Conversion, So i got half the job done.
Good luck sorting out the gremlins with half the job done