E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

2002 RWD E430 Sedan Bilstein Suspension Kit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E430 RWD
2002 RWD E430 Sedan Bilstein Suspension Kit?

Hello everyone, newbie here to the forums. I drive an '02 E430, and am very satisfied with how smooth and comfortably yet quickly it handles. That being said however, I want to change a few things about it, namely the suspension. Bumps and turns in freeways and streets are way too bouncy and I'm starting to get body roll from the old suspension parts, and after seeing some pics of lowered W210 sedans, I think the look is really badass, even with the stock 17" alloy wheels. Thus, I want to give the car a sportier suspension and was thinking of slapping a Bilstein kit onto it to lower it just a bit and also give me a firmer ride. After lurking the forums for several weeks and doing some research online, the best option for me seems to be this suspension kit consisting of four shocks and springs from Bilstein, model number 46-190444 (Pro-Kit B12). I found it on LMPerformance (wasn't able to find on FCPEuro) for about $660, which doesn't seem too bad a deal. My mechanic's a close friend and will install them dirt cheap for me. So, this seems to be the most cost-effective and "legit" method of improving the ride in the way that I would prefer. My current shocks and springs seem to doing fine, though even if I don't upgrade to this kit I reckon they're gonna have to be changed soon (the car's at 134K miles but running like a champ). I also tried looking into coilovers but had a real hard time even finding a set available, must not be much of an option for these older Benz models.

tl;dr anyways I wanna know if any fellow W210 owners have changed out their OEM shock absorbers and springs for this Bilstein set or one similar to it, and if you'd recommend it to someone trying to make an old E-Class just a bit more firm and planted. Thanks fellas.

Not my car specifically but it's this exact model with the same wheels.

Here's an image of the kit from Bilstein.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
99E320
Shocks and springs in the photo is not for your car.
Old 08-23-2020, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 154 Posts
99 E320
yeah, I'm scratching my head when I saw that photo yesterday and thought about it. the ones in the photo
with the coaxial/combo spring/shock unit is more for a 4matic. in any case, it would be a good idea if you
can contact the seller with the specs for your car (and/or VIN) and make sure they can guarantee the fitment,
*whatever* they sell you. as far as I'm aware, your model car uses 4 separate springs and shocks

here are a couple of old threads on lowering on the chance you find something useful. you're about to make
changes which will have a ripple effect on ride, handling, suspension geometry and there are some hidden
factors to consider
https://www.benzworld.org/threads/ti...nment.1356774/
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...right-way.html

I won't try to tell you *what* springs and shocks you should install because comfort and rideability are subjective
and what I think is firm may be deemed punishing by another driver.

coincidentally, my car tossed a Bilstein shock last week and I'm about to R&R them as well as raising the car a tad.
I currently have Eibach springs which lowered them about 1.25", thinnest pads all around. My replacement shocks
will be Bilstein sport model (old p/n Front B36-2156, Rear B36-2157. I'm too lazy to look up their current/equiv p/n)
which I bought as spares a few years back. Since this will be about the 5x I've pulled shocks and springs in my quest
for that perfect ride/look, I hope it will be my last. I'm getting a little too old to lay on a concrete floor...with reading glasses.

car just turned over 68k miles last month
Old 08-24-2020, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E430 RWD
Alright thanks fellas, I'll read through those threads and also verify with the seller if the kit is exactly right for my drivetrain. If I don't decide to go for a whole kit, I'll probably just go for the Bilstein performance shocks that aren't for lowered springs. Anything to make the car just a bit stiffer, really, if that'd be the most easy and cost-effective way to get it done
Old 08-24-2020, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 154 Posts
99 E320
I originally had the nice, MB luxury ride but I also noticed some body roll during sprited on/off ramp travels.
Now, the thing is like a slot car, by comparison, and the trade off is a little more FIRM ride but not stiff when
communiting Seattle streets. On interstate rides, my brother, who drives a BMW 600 series something,
said it rides much more comforatbly than his car. Overall, for me, a great modification (Eibach, Bilstein,
18" wheels)