E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

In-take Performance Gadgets for the E - Fact or Fiction?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
In-take Performance Gadgets for the E - Fact or Fiction?

Many of us try to improve pickup and squeeze out a few more HPs from our cars and there's been many relatively "cheap" items that have been put out on the market lately (especially the UK and Asia) that claims 10%+ HP gains. Just want to share a few with you guys and to see if anyone has thoughts on them......

1. This is called a TurboJet air jet which is meant to concentrate and speed up the air passing through inlet into the airfilter. The turbine inside spins as air passes thru it, thereby drags more air in as well as concentrates the air going out the other side. Since laws of physics tells me that it makes some sense and that they cost about US$100 only, I've tried it with (minor) improvements on trottle response on my E36 BMW but no noticeable improvement on my E.

Here's what one vendor says:

Turbo air jet

Universal Fitment for all vehicles with 3 inch fuel injection system including Diesel car or vans.

More throttle response if vehicles have fitted induction kits. Product must be sitting securely for he air to flow smoothly into the inlet manifold.

2. Air Vaporizer. This contraption sucks in air and passes it through the water contained in the bottle, thereby filtering and cooling the air - very much in the same way as "bongs" work. I'm not sure but I think it is supposed to go back into where the air normally goes into the engine. Not too crazy about this, even if it works cuz the water evaporates quite quickly in the engine bay and needs to be topped up once every few days!

Here's what the vendor says:

Water vapour jet

Reviewed by Max Power, Fast Car, Red Line, REVS, Japanese Performance and Banzai magazines

Universal fitment for any vehicle with Electronic fuel injection system with fuel regulator and controlled by ECU engine Management. Can be reused on other cars.

3. Air filter Ionizer. The latest my mech tried to sell me is an ionizer which is supposed to purify the air going into the engine, improving combustion, thereby improving performance......sorry, no pic.

Last edited by Whitey; 08-19-2004 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'97 MB E420 Sport/'88 MR2
everyone knows engines don't like turbulent air...they'd rather have stagnant air....