E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

W210 rear end suspension problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210
W210 rear end suspension problem

Hello MB lovers. I own an w210 1996 Sedan.
I changed the springs, sock absorbers witch I just had a problem and changed again the screws that are situated on the control arms( bottom part of the sock absorber), cuz the new one unscrewed in less than 500km, and I don t know how. After that, I just had a lot of noise on the rear and. Changed all arms on the right and rear end bushing. O the left side just one arm, because the sound is more on the right rear and side.. what shoul I check ? Could the bushings of the sock gone bad that fast from that screws that went bad ? I runned an test at the service on the elevator and sock absorber tester and everything is ok... But I still got an metallic clunk sound when I hit a pit on street.. I mention that I changed the front rear subframe bushings. Could that be unscrewed as well ? Or what else it can be ? Sorry for my English but I ran out of options.. I don t want to sell the car. Thanks !
Old 02-02-2021, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
It is exceedingly challenging to diagnose sounds based on your general description. It is very unusual that
the lower shock bolt would unscrew from the support if you've torqued them per specifications.

Your questions regarding hypotheticals are such longshots but from a technical perspective, sure, anything
is possible...but again, rare. Trying to guess the source of a metallic clunk is nearly impossible without going
step by step through a list of diminishing odds.

I would hate to see you throwing money at inexperienced guesses only to find out the guess is wrong. Each
time you do, the money adds up.

What caused you to replace them in the first place? Your story begins only when the problem begins and not
before your decision to replace shocks and springs in the first place.

My only general suggestions would be to:

verify that the springs installed are indexed into the groove at the bottom (where they sit and make contact with the
metal suspesion socket). the springs sit under rubber pads at the top so there should not be metal to metal contact.

verify that he shocks are all torqued properly at the top and bottom and that the top shock mounts have double
nuts to lock the fasteners in place.

Old 07-17-2021, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210
Check rear sway bar links, a common failure on W210