E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Rattle from Passenger Door?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E320 4Matic Obsidian Black/Ash
Rattle from Passenger Door?

Strangest thing I've noticed... On the highway, there is a rattle coming from the passenger side door. I've had a friend sit in the seat (on 1500 mile roadtrip recently) and listen and we've determined that it seems to be coming from inside the door and not the seat or the seatbelt anchor points.... (altho who knows at this point, intermitent sounds are strange like that)

I took the doorpanel off and didn't see anything loose and did an in town roadtest but didn't hear it (perhaps I need to be on the highway). I was nervous to be mucking around the area of the door airbag as I think thats where it coming from. Window regulator and door lock rods all seemed good, nothing loose inside the door (couldn't really check around the doorhandle and the lock mechanism on the door as its pretty sealed up around there)

The sound, sounds sort of like paper flapping in the wind and gets more noticeable with speed. And, it will come and go...so it could be related to the vibration of the road.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and/or how they resolved it before i try investigating some more

Thank you
Old 08-30-2004, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
Originally Posted by cobac
Strangest thing I've noticed... On the highway, there is a rattle coming from the passenger side door. I've had a friend sit in the seat (on 1500 mile roadtrip recently) and listen and we've determined that it seems to be coming from inside the door and not the seat or the seatbelt anchor points.... (altho who knows at this point, intermitent sounds are strange like that)

I took the doorpanel off and didn't see anything loose and did an in town roadtest but didn't hear it (perhaps I need to be on the highway). I was nervous to be mucking around the area of the door airbag as I think thats where it coming from. Window regulator and door lock rods all seemed good, nothing loose inside the door (couldn't really check around the doorhandle and the lock mechanism on the door as its pretty sealed up around there)

The sound, sounds sort of like paper flapping in the wind and gets more noticeable with speed. And, it will come and go...so it could be related to the vibration of the road.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and/or how they resolved it before i try investigating some more

Thank you
My mom's '00 E320 doesnt do that, but my dad's ML55 used to do something similar to that(passenger side door too),it wasnt a rattle sound though. The problem was that the whole door was not aligned correctly and the door slightly shook when driving. The door was hitting against the rubber seals around the doors, and was making a swooshing noise very similar to paper flapping in the wind. The dealer aligned the door striker and it went away.Could be the problem with your car, could be something totally different
Old 08-31-2004, 02:03 PM

2000 E320 4Matic Obsidian Black/Ash
oh thats a good one! I have the slightest idea that it could possibly be the door locking mechanism because thats the only thing in there that you can't really see up close with the door panel open and driving...

I guess I will have the dealer look at it next time I'm in, however they also told me that the 4matic is supposed to give you whip lash and a loud clunking from the rear end when accelerating... so I'm sure they will have no idea where to look!

Thanks for your insight...
Old 09-02-2004, 01:43 PM

E430
I have a rattle as well coming from the passenger door. In my case, it's my side mirror that is rattling.

Haven't had a chance to pull off the cover and see what needs tightening, but it's definitely the source of the noise.

Just bang (lightly) on your mirror to see if that is where the noise is coming from. Sure beats taking off the door panel!

-travis
Old 09-02-2004, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Happen to my car as well (door rattle). I just open up the door panel and line up verlo (the soft side) where I see space between part.

All rattle went away.

Originally Posted by cobac

Thank you