E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Stock spring pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock spring pads

does anybody knoe what is the stock spring pad sizes for our cars all around?

#5-#1????

or is every w210 different?

reason is that im gonna install the cup kit and i want to know if i need to buy some from the dealership

and i dont have a jack right now so i cant really look for myself......

thanks
Old 09-07-2004, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
from what i've heard some w210's are different but mine were number 5 in the rear and 4 in the front but i installed 1's all around, front you will have issues if you don't roll it
Old 09-07-2004, 05:32 AM

cool...thanks alex......but will i have problems with rubbing if i have #1's in the back and #3's in the front???

and will the car still look "even" if i put the cup kit if the pads set at #5 in the rear and #4 in the front?

all i want to do is just to minimize wheel gap while still making it look even

thanks again
Old 09-07-2004, 09:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
808 you should be able to check the size of your spring pads without jacking the car up unless its all ready lowered. on the front just turn the wheels and with a flash light count the number of nipples on the pads above your springs in the rear there is plenty of room to stick your head under.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:33 PM
E43

2000 E430 Sport
I think the spring pads vary from car to car. Mine are 5 in the front and 4 in the back. My MB tech recommended keeping the same proportions, so when the car goes in next and the Bilsteins go on, I am changing to 2 in the front and 1 in the back.

As far as checking what pads you have, my MB tech put the car up on the lift and checked with a flashlight. Took about five minutes; no charge.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
the car will be level with 3 in the front and 1 in the rear, mine is a little lower in the front but i like it likie that,............. you won't have rubbing issue with that setup though
Old 09-09-2004, 01:50 PM

okay guys i looked under the car and the front is #5 and rear is #4

now i understand that this is the highest set up there is.....BUT i kinda still wanna minimize wheel gap just a little although im okay with it now

so my last question is: Will the car still be "level' or "even" if i install the cup kit with #5's in the front and #4's in the back???

my main focus is not so much the drop cuz im ok with that but im more concerned about it being LEVEL or EVEN

thanks
Old 09-09-2004, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
in a way you kinda have to play around with it... install the cup-kit and go from there, that way , you'll have a better idea...
Old 09-09-2004, 02:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
Okay, I'll take a stab at why there are so many spring pad sizes on different cars.

Mine has #2 in the front and #1 in the rear. I don't think anyone changed these out from before because the car was off lease from an insurance company.

Anyways, here is my guess. Awhile back, I purchased some stock W210 springs off of eBay. I got them for a buck and paid $19.95 for shipping. They sat on a shelf for about 8 months. I only wanted a really mild lowering job, about 1 inch, or even a little less. I just wanted to lessen the front gap, not put the top of the fender on top of the tire.

Given that most lowering springs give you more than 1", I decided to cut, I know, oh know!, but this is where I learned something good for all!

The coil springs that came with my car have a different part number from the coils I purchased off of eBay. The differ by 1 digit. After closer inspection, I took the rear springs out also. My springs have slight thicker coils and have less total turns than the ones from eBay.

My assumption is that all W210s, none sport or AMG types, should have the stock static ride height. But depending on motor type and accessories (more or less weight) per vehicle, then the spring sizes change. The way that MBZ is able to maintain the static ride height of the each car is to change the spring pad sizes.

Oh yes, what happened after the cutting??? In the front, I broke or freed up the upper ball joint with a big hammer. Then I disconnected the lower shock mount and the sway bar connections on both sides. I was able to lower the the lower A-arm as far as it would go. But the extended coil still was long enough not to take out, I could move the coil, but even with a pry bar, it would not come out. I know that I could of removed the pivot bolts, but I was afraid that I could not line up the A-arm back into the pivot hangers with a floorjack. I used a single,external spring compressor to take some of the compression out of the spring and I cut a single coil out of the bottom with a air powered die grinder. The coil still had compression when the coil broke loose, but I was able to get the piece out.

Initially, the I reduced the ride height about and inch. But I knew was going to settle out from doing this before on other cars. It settled out to a little to an 1 1/4". What I would of got if I just replace the springs with Eibach or H&R.

The ride is great though, there is enough spring and travel to accomadate a pretty good ride. My wife could not tell what I had done! A half coil would of made the job perfect though.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Yes, spring pads vary from car to car. My ex-97 E420 sat on #3's in the front and #1's in the rear, from the factory...