E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

I think I broke my transmission - 722.636

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 S210
Unhappy I think I broke my transmission - 722.636

Hey, I‘m new here but I hope for someone to give me a direction of what I could do.

I‘m driving an E55 S210, 2002. It has a 722.636 transmission. 250.000km

tldr below

I installed a transgo shiftkit and the sonnax oring sleeves. I‘ve made sure to clean every part and tool with brakecleaner and blew it dry with compressed air somewhere else, I have not cleaned the valve bodies themselves as they looked fine. I‘ve followed the instructions and made sure every ball is where it should be and double checked every part I‘ve changed and touched. I also installed a new conductor plate, filter and gasket (febi 100254)

I‘ve first filled in 6L of Fuchs ATF4134 to refill and when checking that was obviously was way too much, as the oil dipstick was way of the charts, the car run for like 4-5 mins in idle.

After rechecking how much oil after such change has to refilled I landed at around 3.5L with sucking with a hose and a syringe from the oil stick hose. the dipstick seemed ok. In both states of filling the transmission takes like 3-4 tries to get in reverse.

It only shifts into drive when I brake and throttle to like 1200 rpm at the same time. It then shifted super smooth up to the 3rd gear, where it was stuck. It will only shift up from first again after restarting. It also jumped out of the gear and I had to shift to N and back to D when I gave it like 50% throttle.

I figured thats the „mechanical hydraulic limp mode“.

So after reading more about the transgo shiftkit, I redid the whole process, but not actually taking the valve bodies apart, only taking out the new pr valve and lube pressure regulator. As I measured the old one after reading from the instruction, it was more than .002 inches off, though after measuring them side by side they both were the same by exactly .000 inches. So I anyways put it together with the original parts after rinsing them in brake cleaner and lubing them up in oil. I also checked if I put the sonnax orings at the right places again.

I refilled about 3.6L again and the dipstick was in about what it should be. The transmission showed the same symptoms as before.

I tried to reset the transmission by multiple instructions either 2 mins on the pedal or atleast 5 seconds and wait without removing the key for atleast 2 mins.

I’m planning to get someone to read it out tomorrow with SD and also I‘m planning to take it the whole thing out again tomorrow. I will try to clean it all with brake cleaner and also measure the valves, put it together lubing it up all again, triple checking every step. Refilling about 3.6L oil again, and adding when its too low on the dipstick.

I‘m trying to get an idea of what happened. Did I get a bad conductor plate?

Or did I anything substantially wrong in the process?

Is the tcc adaption values reset essential in such way that this can happen?

I‘m thinking about putting the transgo kit back in anyways as it showed the same symptoms and the parts seemed to fit perfectly and do their job. Should I try to do that at a later stage to prevent issues or is this generally a non issue as the pr valve is exactly the same diameter in size?

The transmission plug was also oily, I blew it off from the side holes and sprayed on a really, really small amount of brake cleaner and blew it off again. Is there maybe just a contact problem anyways?

I have not cleaned the contacts of the valves, when putting them back, as I figured it is inside oil most of the time anyways though I thought it might be just a contact problem also there.

Can anybody give me please any idea of whats might be going on with these symptoms? It‘s driving me and a friend nuts as this all seemed to be a pretty smooth process after watching alot of videos on the topic and reading the instructions carefully.

tldr: I put in a transgo shiftkit and sonnax oring sleeves and my trans went into 3rd gear only mode.

Thank you alot for reading, hope you have a better day.

Old 06-11-2021, 04:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
my suggestion concerning this mess is to get a new conductor plate and clean and install all the solenoids
Old 06-12-2021, 03:59 AM

E55 S210
So I took it apart again. Cleaned every part of the valve body. Solenoids and so on, fitted everything back nicely and made sure no springs are stuck or broken. Currently the valve body is not in yet. I‘ve mounted the old conductor plate now. I‘ve measured ohms on the solenoids, the lowest being 4.6 on the tcc solenoid, everything else seems to be 5-7ohms wich seems in spec.

I have gotten a new one though, how often do these come broken from factory? I‘m still not entirely sure if I should use the febi part from febi 100254 kit. Could this cause the problems?

Can I just measure the pins on the conductor plate aswell as the solenoids? Is this the only thing I can measure or is it possible to measure the sensors somehow?

Old 06-14-2021, 04:32 AM

E55 S210
So I redid the whole thing, now it is working with the original conductor plate, sonnax master overlap kit and fully cleaned. No Transgo Kit.

When reassembling the third time, there were 2 O-Rings crammed up into a hole of the trans. I‘m thinking about this since then. No video I saw ever mentioned them as a problem though when these make sure the valve body is properly pressurized, this might have been the problem, not the new conductor plate or the transgo kit, right?

Well I will try to get the new conductor plate exchanged anyways, and will give it another go in about 1000km, so I save myself from doing a trans fluid flush, wich I wanted to do after this.

Does anybody know, if the trans would behave like this, when the valve body loses pressure?
Also I‘m thinking about redoing these o ring seals. Are there part numbers for those?(i checked epc but no success)
And are there partnumbers for the orings of the solenoids?

Thinking about getting a set of either imperial or metric general o rings from bgs, I guess the transmission is a german make so I guess I‘d better get the metric ones. Has anybody measured them?