E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

New Owner - Lighting/Electrical/Display Troubles 2002 W210 E320 Wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 Station Wagon
Ok, definite progress - was able to resolve the power window fuse blowing on Fuse 3 in the rear fuse box.

I've been scapegoating the mice, but it seems the humans have been just as much to blame. A non-insulated spade connector was used for a prior repair in the rear hatch assembly (I think for the trunk light), and that connector had since been disconnected, and was rattling against the interior of the hatch. No doubt that would blow fuses. So it feels good to have found the smoking gun on that one, and repaired the issue... so now I get to focus on the original problem

I messaged a few dash rebuilding companies. One suggested that the problem was common, and it was caused by leaky capacitors. I've dismantled my dash, I'm in the process of identifying the 4 capacitors on the board, and I'm going to try to replace all 4. Should be cheap and quick enough and its pretty quick to test if it was effective or not. In parallel, I ordered a spare instrument cluster off ebay that appears to be in good condition. I can use that to test the system as well, if that instrument cluster is functional, the fuse shouldn't blow.

The shop right next door to mine has the proper MB STAR tools and they are able to reprogram the dash if needed. So that's good.