E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

E430 stuck in limp mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E430 sport
E430 stuck in limp mode

Hi everyone, A couple of days ago my girlfriend spilled soda on the shifter of my 01 e430. Right after the car went into limp mode and only let me use 2nd gear, while not letting me shift up past neutral. I took apart the shifter and cleaned the trrs board really well with no luck. When I threw it back into the car it was still limping. Then I went to the junkyard and got one out of a post facelift 320 wagon, but when I got home I realized that it was a completely different board. It had an indent on the side of it, resistors and chips were in completely, and on top of all that… the parts number was different. The one I needed was A10051Zf and the one that I pulled out of the wagon was A10051Zg. I ended up not even trying to use it. Today I drove an hour away to a different junk yard and try my luck since their inventory online showed a lot of post facelift w120s that might have a usable trrs board. I pulled on from a same year e430 which should have been mechanically and electrically identical to mine, but when I got home and put the board in the car… it was still limping like nothing has changed. I pulled the shifter out once again and took a closer look at the board and while it looked more like my original one and even had the same part number, I noticed that it said “teil 4” below the part number instead of “teil 6” that was on my original. Other than that it looked pretty identical besides some numbers being different on some resistors and chips, but the same amps. At this point I am completely stumped and am starting to think worst case scenario that my TCU got shorted. I would really appreciate any help/advice
thanks,

-Sam

They’re both pretty identical besides the “teil’ part

This is the only picture that I was able to find that looked like the first trrs board that I pulled out of an e320 wagon with the parts number A10051Zg
Old 12-29-2021, 12:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
if you are in limp mode you also have an OBD fault that is readable by any crappy scanner. You may also have transmission fault that is readable by factory or equal scanner and you can have your girlfriend sit on your shifter for days and it will never clear the fault and come out of limp mode until the fault is cleared. I also believe you went over board on all the electronic HS until the car was scanned