E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

2001 E320 levelling hydraulics opinion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 11:50 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2001 E320 4Matic
2001 E320 levelling hydraulics opinion

Hey everyone, if you don't know me, I'm the idiot with the 2001 E320 Wagon that's been rebuilding the back end for six months because I screwed up the levelling hydraulics.

So now that I've got the entire back end done, I've got a hydraulic line problem at the front of the car.
Because I forgot to mark and paint hydraulic lines before cutting and replacing there was a problem in deciding what line was for what. After researching the line through the drivers front wheel well seemed to be the correct line to the tank, it would appear that was incorrect.
After connecting lines and starting the car to rpm at 2500 for the levelling valve to fill the levelling system and after running for almost 30 seconds, a gigantic pop/explosion happened in the engine bay following a small amount of hydraulic fluid, very small amount.

Upon inspection I've burst a hydraulic line on the pressure tank I believe and I could also see a spray of broken bits of plastic, both white and red. It looks like a broken small cylinder about the diameter of a thick nail almost like this was cap on something. No idea it's in 20 small bits and pieces blown through the bottom of the area where the fluid tanks sit. You can see in picture three I have both the washer and hydraulic tanks up and out of the way and you can see the all the little bits.

So I've got another line that has to be replaced and I could use an opinion here, this would suggest I did not have the levelling lines set correctly, The T and P lines have to be switched around, this had to have happened because the lines weren't right correct?

2. anyone familiar with a small plastic item end with a red cap that sits anywhere around that area? There's an oddity here that I don't see a clamp on the end of the hose line to the pressure tank, this is where the line burst so is there a plastic o clip or something that sat there and exploded when the line gave way?

Anyone with insight is welcome to chime in.