E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

XM Satellite Radio Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 E320 Sedan
Talking XM Satellite Radio Install

Hi all,

I recently installed my new Delphi SkyFi XM Radio head in my 98 E320. It was a breeze to get the dash apart. Thanks MB for putting your cars together like a snap-together model.

But unfortunately, there is no real good place to mount the receiver head. They give you a car mounting kit with a 'sticky pad' base and swivel head. I ended up mounting it on the dash just above the center AC vents. The wires curl back down and through the seam where the dashtop woodgrain strip meets the AC vents. Not the cleanest, but the best I could come up with to see the unit clearly and not to obstruct the center controls. The antenna wire was the trickiest, but I figured it out to run from the rear rooftop center all the way to the dash...with about 4 inches of length to spare!

If you have a better place or experience, please share it with me.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
You should've gotten the Roady instead. IT fits perfectly into the ashtray. then you can close the lid and voila, stealth install I had it that way in my car until I upgraded my entire system.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Take out the ash-tray, there's enough room. That's what I'll do next: take out my Jukebox (in place of ash-tray right now), and replace it w/ Sirius receiver (before Howard moves over !!)

I would then use the cassette tape adaptor, sound much cleaner than crappy FM modulator.

Originally Posted by johnny's E320
Hi all,

I recently installed my new Delphi SkyFi XM Radio head in my 98 E320. It was a breeze to get the dash apart. Thanks MB for putting your cars together like a snap-together model.

But unfortunately, there is no real good place to mount the receiver head. They give you a car mounting kit with a 'sticky pad' base and swivel head. I ended up mounting it on the dash just above the center AC vents. The wires curl back down and through the seam where the dashtop woodgrain strip meets the AC vents. Not the cleanest, but the best I could come up with to see the unit clearly and not to obstruct the center controls. The antenna wire was the trickiest, but I figured it out to run from the rear rooftop center all the way to the dash...with about 4 inches of length to spare!

If you have a better place or experience, please share it with me.