E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Central Locking System Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 E300 Turbodiesel
Central Locking System Issue

Hi. I have a new problem with my 1998 E300TD. The d​oors lock and unlock normally when the car isn't running. However, if I start the car and then get out for some reason and allow the driver door to close ("darn it, I forgot my coffee, I'll be right back but I need to close the door because it's raining") all the doors lock as soon as the driver door closes. This happens even if the driver door doesn't fully close but closes enough for the first latch step to engage. I wonder if that means the door sensor is part of the problem. I should experiment with that.

What's really weird is that the trunk doesn't lock when this happens. If I push the trunk release button (on the trunk, not the key) all the doors unlock and I can get back in. Thankfully, if the car is not running and locked normally, pushing the trunk release doesn't unlock everything.

My mechanic disabled the auto re-lock feature hoping that would help but it didn't. I'm taking about the option where if you unlock the car but don't open a door within 30 seconds it automatically re-locks.
Old 09-13-2022, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 172 Likes on 156 Posts
99 E320
I haven't heard of an instant self-lock of all doors before so I don't have a clue. You can try to see if the electronics will 'reset' by removing the battery cable for 15-30 mins or so. Naturally, you should be aware that the roof, windows, radio will need to be reset. Be sure you have the radio code on hand.
You mentioned this anomaly only happening with the driver side door so I would suspect that door pin switch along the B pillar frame. Those $20 something pins are known to fail (not if, but when) so be aware of this. That said, I've not read of the failing pin contribute to the symptom you've described.