E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Lamp lens'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 07:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e320
Lamp lens'

Headlight lens'
so i got them out of parts car.
Got to This point, but i dont want to forcably take off, but is there way to just slide off/on the lens's? Id like to clean on the inside surface.

Look great tho for coming out of an '01.

Old 10-22-2022, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 154 Posts
99 E320
you can apply a heat gun CAREFULLY along the perimeter/seam to warm the butyl rubber. the butyl serves as a thermal compliant gasket/sealer within the groove. it will soften and allow you to pry off the outer fluted lens. The last time I did this I didn't like heating one part when the opposite end of the headlight cooled so what I did instead was to remove as many rubber parts from the headlight and placed it into the kitchen oven, on silicone cutting board, about 120º for at least 10 mins. then using finger pressure to test and tug on the lens . if butyl still too firm, return to oven for another several minutes.

be very careful once the lens is off as fingerprints can easily contaminate reflector with grease, butyl etc.

p.s. i don't see them in your photos but there may/should be quarter moon shaped, aluminum retainer clips to help pinch the edges of the headlight lens against the headlight housing. be sure they're off before trying to pry apart the lexan fromt the plastic housing (after heating)

Last edited by raymond g-; 10-22-2022 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2022, 04:11 PM

e320
Originally Posted by raymond g-
you can apply a heat gun CAREFULLY along the perimeter/seam to warm the butyl rubber. the butyl serves as a thermal compliant gasket/sealer within the groove. it will soften and allow you to pry off the outer fluted lens. The last time I did this I didn't like heating one part when the opposite end of the headlight cooled so what I did instead was to remove as many rubber parts from the headlight and placed it into the kitchen oven, on silicone cutting board, about 120º for at least 10 mins. then using finger pressure to test and tug on the lens . if butyl still too firm, return to oven for another several minutes.

be very careful once the lens is off as fingerprints can easily contaminate reflector with grease, butyl etc.

p.s. i don't see them in your photos but there may/should be quarter moon shaped, aluminum retainer clips to help pinch the edges of the headlight lens against the headlight housing. be sure they're off before trying to pry apart the lexan fromt the plastic housing (after heating)

beautiful thx!
i have a 16 x 10 x 10 foot oven and will just hang in there when warming up and hang so i can work on it ...or I see that the upper assembly pops off, but it has this weird stud that is threaded thru, and what I guess, is glued on, so idk. But either way thx that is very helpful.

Last edited by mhyde71; 10-22-2022 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Add pics
Old 10-22-2022, 04:29 PM

e320
one more question....do you think i could replace the lens's via just the upper assembly piece of it with out completely removing the whole assembly from the receiving car?
Old 10-22-2022, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 154 Posts
99 E320
I am unsure how you can properly heat the sealed seam without it affecting the surrounding metal and paint...at least, without careful shielding. Even if you do, it may begin to confine your access to proper manipulation and lens separation.

I think i know why I don't remember the 'stud' fastener: yours is a facelift headlight and my experience has been the older style w210 light.

love the oven !!! here I am trying to come up with ways to begin powdercoating of small items (motorcycle) and you have a freakin walk in oven. sheesh I was thinking of RV oven, converted smoker etc haha
Old 10-23-2022, 10:05 AM

e320
Originally Posted by raymond g-
I am unsure how you can properly heat the sealed seam without it affecting the surrounding metal and paint...at least, without careful shielding. Even if you do, it may begin to confine your access to proper manipulation and lens separation.

I think i know why I don't remember the 'stud' fastener: yours is a facelift headlight and my experience has been the older style w210 light.

love the oven !!! here I am trying to come up with ways to begin powdercoating of small items (motorcycle) and you have a freakin walk in oven. sheesh I was thinking of RV oven, converted smoker etc haha
lol that is funny
yeah i built mine. its easy
frame, skin, insulate, skin, cut hole for burner, stick burner in ---you have two options torpedo heater; lp fired, master is commonly used, ...or you can go for a carlin burner

I built mine i started with it on a car hauler and then cut it off that and made it bigger to what it is today --i will send you dm with the links if you want to see, my very first oven i built was electric and was inside dimensions of 5 x 4 x 1.5 and 3', as it was modular. i could add a section to it to make it deeper.