E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

traded into W211

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 10:03 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 G63 ; 981 boxster GTS
traded into W211

well boyz, i'm gone from w210 land. just picked up my brand spankin' new 2005 e500! she's on the road and depreciating as we speak!
pewter/char , 4matic/pano/appearance/keyless go/comand NAV/sirius/voice/park-t/htd seats.
not my precise option set, but close enuf, got it in a week.

still admire the basic benz-ness and profile of the 210 , but this baby is a definite upgrade, feels even more solid with the airmatic much quieter than the old steel springs. appearance pkg interior is great when lit up.

a few of you know i had been looking to swap out my 040 w210 for same in maybe silver or white, but examples i saw just werent as good as the car i owned, so i bit and went to the new car.

my old car will make some new owner happy. if i see it online, i'll link it over here.

well cheers to all and i'm sure i'll stiill be on the board now and then,
thanks for all the help, john.

Last edited by jago1244; 10-22-2004 at 12:27 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 10-22-2004, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 & W210
Congrats.

That will be a good upgrade from a W210.
Can you give us an update after you have a chance to drive it for awhile so that you can give us some comparison with the W210?
I would like to hear your overall impressions as you know the W210 well.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2004, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Good stuff John

Been considering the change myself, possibly an E55 (a white one of course!) but there's been some negative comparisons lately, in favor of the W210 and I'm keen to hear it from someone, who's possibly less of diehard W210 supporter or perhaps with an 05 the earlier bugs might have been resolved.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
I hope you will enjoy it. The W211 is a very nice car, especially when you have it fully loaded (wood & leather & GPS) & sport or appearance package.

The only problem I have with it is the hiss from brake modulation, it's <b>QUITE, no, make it SOOOO </b> anoying (to me), and that's just the way the car is, that's why I stop driving mine, luckily, wife'll be happy to take the car. The W211 interior is a whole class better than the W210, however, it's so convolute, not to mention that they cheapen the climate control system substantially (the E320 would get rotating knob, just as a Toyota corolla, unless you upgrade to an LCD one, which is standard in E500 !!!)

The electronic monitor system through the instrument cluster is very nice, however. Since I have the W211 E320, engine is the same (except the air filter !!!), so not much different in acceleration experience.

I feel the W211 have less interior space than the W210, even on paper, it's suppose to be larger.

Since you're getting an 05 E500, I assume you would get the 7-speed tranny ?, that would be a big change, and gas mileage should be better ?

The W211 airmatic simply suck, regardless of what mode it is, the ride is just too soft (but that's all personal preference). Nothing beat a set of reputable aftermarket shock (Bilstein, Koni...)

The sound damping system is much better than the W210. The car is much more quiet going 60+ mph. Almost no windnoise.

I should have bought the 2002 E55 back then, but now that I'm about to be a typical broke man (married), no more car

Originally Posted by jago1244
well boyz, i'm gone from w210 land. just picked up my brand spankin' new 2005 e500! she's on the road and depreciating as we speak!
pewter/char , 4matic/pano/appearance/keyless go/comand NAV/sirius/voice/park-t/htd seats.
not my precise option set, but close enuf, got it in a week.

still admire the basic benz-ness and profile of the 210 , but this baby is a definite upgrade, feels even more solid with the airmatic much quieter than the old steel springs. appearance pkg interior is great when lit up.

a few of you know i had been looking to swap out my 040 w210 for same in maybe silver or white, but examples i saw just werent as good as the car i owned, so i bit and went to the new car.

my old car will make some new owner happy. if i see it online, i'll link it over here.

well cheers to all and i'm sure i'll stiill be on the board now and then,
thanks for all the help, john.

Last edited by zam2000; 10-23-2004 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Question

Originally Posted by zam2000
The only problem I have with it is the hiss from brake modulation, it's QUITE, no, make it SOOOO anoying (to me), and that's just the way the car is, that's why I stop driving mine, ......
Zam, what do you mean by the "hiss"? Would that have been resolved in the 05 and would the W211 E55 brakes as well as suspension be any different?
Old 10-25-2004, 10:20 AM

some quick w211 takes

my responses in BOLD

Originally Posted by zam2000
I hope you will enjoy it. The W211 is a very nice car, especially when you have it fully loaded (wood & leather & GPS) & sport or appearance package.
appearance or sport package a MUST. NAV system is comparable to Acura now. i have both.

The only problem I have with it is the hiss from brake modulation, it's QUITE, no, make it SOOOO anoying (to me), and that's just the way the car is, that's why I stop driving mine, luckily, wife'll be happy to take the car.
no hiss in my '05

The W211 interior is a whole class better than the W210, however, it's so convolute, not to mention that they cheapen the climate control system substantially (the E320 would get rotating knob, just as a Toyota corolla, unless you upgrade to an LCD one, which is standard in E500 !!!)
agree on better interior in W211. i even like the new controversial console. finished off in nice stitched leather with solid wood drawer. surprisingly comfortable for not having traditional leather armrest. see w211 board for the big rhubarb over it.

The electronic monitor system through the instrument cluster is very nice, however. Since I have the W211 E320, engine is the same (except the air filter !!!), so not much different in acceleration experience.
again appearance pkg a must for the white gauges and black birdseye wood. and better wheels and body trim.
keyless go is awesome. really convenient and is the sort of thing that defines a modern luxury car. fun to show off with too!

I feel the W211 have less interior space than the W210, even on paper, it's suppose to be larger.
disagree here

Since you're getting an 05 E500, I assume you would get the 7-speed tranny ?, that would be a big change, and gas mileage should be better ?
5 speed only with 4matic

The W211 airmatic simply suck, regardless of what mode it is, the ride is just too soft (but that's all personal preference). Nothing beat a set of reputable aftermarket shock (Bilstein, Koni...)
doesnt suck, but kind of see your point. to me the stock w210 seemed to hunker down pretty good in the straights, but you paid price with a hammering ride over bumps. w211 with airmatic on full 2x sport comes closest to this feeling, but WAY better in the twists and frankly more comfortable overall. does feel a bit more 'managed' though

The sound damping system is much better than the W210. The car is much more quiet going 60+ mph. Almost no windnoise.
agree in a huge way. esp glad to be rid of wheel and tire noise

I should have bought the 2002 E55 back then, but now that I'm about to be a typical broke man (married), no more car
overall, heres how i feel about it.
w210 a great car of the last century.
w211 is XXI , with all that comes with it, including the complexity.
interior better, seats and ride more comfortable, handling improved, structural rigidity and mechanical efficiency advanced, reliability (hopefully) improving.

i'll report back again when i put a few more miles on it..thanks , j!

Last edited by jago1244; 10-25-2004 at 10:23 AM. Reason: to clarify that my responses are in bold in zams msg.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Interesting, my only experience in a W211 for an extended period was in a taxi in Europimp land (over an hour) and I felt the seats were a bit less comfy as the W210, kind of flimsy in fact - perhaps it was the lower spec model with cheap leather maybe (it was an Elegance)?

Did you notice the subtle interior changes in the 05's? Leather cladded underside of the front seats (pre-05 it was plastic, at least in Asia), smoother grill on top of the center of the console, blue tooth phone connection in the armrest (used to be wired) etc.?

Last edited by Whitey; 10-25-2004 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Whitey
Interesting, my only experience in a W211 for an extended period was in a taxi in Europimp land (over an hour) and I felt the seats were a bit less comfy as the W210, kind of flimsy in fact - perhaps it was the lower spec model with cheap leather maybe (it was an Elegance)?

Did you notice the subtle interior changes in the 05's? Leather cladded underside of the front seats (pre-05 it was plastic, at least in Asia), smoother grill on top of the center of the console, blue tooth phone connection in the armrest (used to be wired) etc.?
well whitey, i guess opinions on seats can be very subjective. did not notice the leather cladded underside, but yes upper console grille looks good too.
armrest as i mentioned above was restyled during MY '05. i'm ok with it , until maybe i try to drink coffee and rest my arm at same time.
ambient lighting feature, (and ability to set it) and pano roof of course are neat also.
j.