E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Power lock actuator replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 E320 4 door sedan
Power lock actuator replacement?

I have a 1999 E320 and after a locksmith opened driver door, the fob will not unlock the one door. I took to dealer and they wanted $1200 to replace power lock actuator. Advice on a dyi solution and where to find replacement parts for this old war horse?
Old 04-22-2023, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 993 Likes on 772 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
The lock actuator is a vacuum push / pull pneumatic device. You can find posts on how to replace just the actuator. I recommend not attempting to repair the previous one and just install a new one. The actuator itself is not very expensive; much less expensive than the entire door latch assembly. If you do go with a new door latch assembly, you will need in all likelihood to adjust the release lever to match the position of the one removed from the door. There is one hex head bolt on the lever to which the door handle catches. You loosen the bolt, move the lever to the proper position, then tighten the bolt. I learned that one the hard way but an older experienced Mercedes technician explained what the issue was and how to correct it. I have a post on it somewhere in the w210 or w210 AMG subform.
Be advised to have multiple small c clamps and industrial adhesive on hand as the door panel will most likely pull apart when you remove it from the door. The top portion that snaps into the window track will pull away from the main panel and the black plastic pieces to which the plastic pins attach will also pull off the panel. You'll need to glue all those parts back onto the panel, clamp them with c clamps, and install new plastic pins as the ones you have will break. Those pins are available very cheaply from pelican parts.
Been there, done that, and got the t-shirts.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 04-22-2023 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-23-2023, 04:51 PM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
2000 C230 - 2001 E430 - 2003 E320 -
Depending on how the locksmith opened the door, its possible the pneumatic activator could have been damaged or even a vacuum line damaged - these lines are old and fragile.

With these older models, it will quickly turn into an endless $ pit that far exceeds the current value of the car if you let the dealer do these type of fixes. One way to get a handle on where to start is to pick up an EPC/WIS. Google search and you will find many selling them for very low prices. They run in a Virtual box and let you research the actual parts for your VIN and the factory repair procedure. And of course search this and other related MB forums/youtube and you will find someone that did the exact fix you need.

I need to replace the drivers door activator - I have the parts and just need to do the work. Ours is leaking, it still opens/closes but can take multiple attempts. From the WIS it does seem not hard at all but details like the above note from bbirdwell are excellent.
Old 04-24-2023, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 E320 4 door sedan
Thank you much!

Originally Posted by bbirdwell
The lock actuator is a vacuum push / pull pneumatic device. You can find posts on how to replace just the actuator. I recommend not attempting to repair the previous one and just install a new one. The actuator itself is not very expensive; much less expensive than the entire door latch assembly. If you do go with a new door latch assembly, you will need in all likelihood to adjust the release lever to match the position of the one removed from the door. There is one hex head bolt on the lever to which the door handle catches. You loosen the bolt, move the lever to the proper position, then tighten the bolt. I learned that one the hard way but an older experienced Mercedes technician explained what the issue was and how to correct it. I have a post on it somewhere in the w210 or w210 AMG subform.
Be advised to have multiple small c clamps and industrial adhesive on hand as the door panel will most likely pull apart when you remove it from the door. The top portion that snaps into the window track will pull away from the main panel and the black plastic pieces to which the plastic pins attach will also pull off the panel. You'll need to glue all those parts back onto the panel, clamp them with c clamps, and install new plastic pins as the ones you have will break. Those pins are available very cheaply from pelican parts.
Been there, done that, and got the t-shirts.
Old 04-26-2023, 04:41 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
1997 E300D
I would guess that the locksmith just hooked onto and pulled on something he shouldn't have. Someone with good DIY skills should see what needs to be reconnected.