E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Since were talking about our W210

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 & W210
Since were talking about our W210

For those of us that no longer have warranty on our cars.
About how much do you spend on maintenance per year?
This is both scheduled, unscheduled and preventative maintenance.

I have been keeping track of mine and I average about $2,000 per year.
I must say that it is a bit high but of that $2,000 about $900 of it is for my tires that lasts only about 20,000 miles.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
i dont spend anything. just oil change and that's pretty much it. The first year i did the harmnoic balancer, some belt that was there, all the fluids, and that's it. I did a couple set of tires, about 20k miles each 19's.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by The Doctor
i dont spend anything. just oil change and that's pretty much it. The first year i did the harmnoic balancer, some belt that was there, all the fluids, and that's it. I did a couple set of tires, about 20k miles each 19's.
That's cuz we've basically changed out everything during the mod process - especially YOU
Old 10-30-2004, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
I don't think tire should be taken as part of maintenance, it's more wear & tear, and doesn't relate much to car brand/type. Thin tire, big price.

For me:
1. oil change every 10K mile, Mobile-1, $75
2. Tire rotation every 10K mile: $10.

I also did major tune-up (engine & transmission) at 100K mile (few months ago), around $800-1000. The MAF went out at 70K mile, $240. Windows regulator bong at 85K mile, $80, steering column cover at 80K mile, $40.

That's about all, car is amazingly reliable. The rest is wear & tear: brake every 40K mile, tire at 20-25K mile.

The problem with Benz, so far, is not on repair, but on mods: I spent so much on it !!, but that's pennie-like compared to what I've seen others spent on their W210s.

Btw, just receive another recall notice yesterday (for SBC) for my W211. Arrhhhh, should have bought the W210 E55. I hate that damn car now !!!
Originally Posted by OceanView
For those of us that no longer have warranty on our cars.
About how much do you spend on maintenance per year?
This is both scheduled, unscheduled and preventative maintenance.

I have been keeping track of mine and I average about $2,000 per year.
I must say that it is a bit high but of that $2,000 about $900 of it is for my tires that lasts only about 20,000 miles.

Last edited by zam2000; 10-30-2004 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by zam2000
Btw, just receive another recall notice yesterday (for SBC) for my W211.
What is it this time? What is SBC? And what were the other recalls in relation to, how many? So is it not a good idea to get a used 04?
Old 10-31-2004, 09:29 AM
X72

Honda Accord
Originally Posted by Whitey
What is it this time? What is SBC? And what were the other recalls in relation to, how many? So is it not a good idea to get a used 04?
If you are really interested in SBC brakes, search the W 211 forum and the Tech Talk forum as all your questions and many more have been discussed and opinions abound. I have a 2003 E 320 with the SBC brakes. The update is software to count brake actuations. Some high mileage taxis in Germany have had the SBC brake system fail sending the braking system into a fail safe mode which is not as effective for braking. This also has been repeatedly discussed.

If you like to change the brakes yourself, I would be cautious because the brakes can activate themselves. There are warnings against trying to do it yourself, and it almost seems like you must take the car to a Mercedes dealer to have any brake work done.

I got the info below from this thread.
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ke+pads+change

Need to slow down after a buck oh-five? Well, the company that brought the world ABS, traction control, and stability control now brings us an electronic brake system. Yepper, that means what you think it means – no brake lines or other mechanical contraptions connecting the pedal to the calipers. First introduced on the new SL, the e.b. system is designed to provide faster, more sure-footed brake response, especially in emergency situations.

Here’s how: the brake pedal works with a computer that tells four valves exactly how hard to apply the brakes on each wheel. The system can change brake pressure on each individual wheel over uneven surfaces, and can even increase brake pressure on only the outside wheels when braking in turns. If the driver makes a quick transition for accelerator to brake pedal, the system gets wise to the early signs of an emergency and reacts. Automatically. It ups the brake pressure in the brake connectors and instantly moves the pads onto the discs.

At highway speeds, Mercedes estimates that this preloading reduces stopping distances by about three percent. Another feature – when it senses wet conditions, it applies the brakes juuuuust enough to keep the discs dry so that braking remains fast and consistent. Even in rain.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Thanks for the detailed enlightenment. However, here, we like to go with the traditional BBK systems