E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Transmission pan bolt broke off the trans case

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 11:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E420
Exclamation Transmission pan bolt broke off the trans case

1997 Mercedes-Benz E420 W119 722.625 I was trying to get the transmission oil pan off and the drain plug was not coming off either. I enlisted the help of my dad as he has been a mechanic his entire life. Both center bolts on both sides of the trans and the drain oil plug were all rusted stuck and we had to drill them out. The left side and the drain plug we were able to remove. The center pan bolt on the right of the trans was not coming off at all even after drilling into it and we had to hammer it off. It came off, but a piece of the trans case came with it where it was connected. I know dealing with rusty bolts is a common thing with older Benz's', but this one is a big ol question mark. Can this be repaired so we cans put it back together and finish the servicing of the transmission? I have attached a few pictures. The bolt in question was properly rusted and not budging. I also do not believe this transmission was ever serviced. I currently have 220K on the clock. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your kind words and advice.
Right side center pan bolt

Right side center pan bolt

Transmission case after pan removed

This is the piece of the transmission case
Old 07-24-2023, 05:16 AM
SPONSOR

Received 374 Likes on 225 Posts
11 E550, 16 AMG GTS, 13 S550
Yeah tow your car to an automotive fabrication shop and/or engine builder they're going to weld over that whole mess, grind it down and re-tap that hole. not a huge deal, most people weld and grind stuff like this for cast iron/aluminum engine blocks.

I've broken off the bolts inside the tranmission case before, they're hollow so they're super easy to drill out. In short the harness got stuck and on the tightening it felt weird and I kept going by hand and well.. anyway I have a drawer full of transmission pan bolts. Gotta soak your bolts on rusty old stuff man.

Chris Tran, Service Manager/Owner
Amsoil Independent Dealer #7236674
Old 07-25-2023, 10:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E420
Chris,
Thank you for your quick reply and solution, brilliant. We are reviewing our options including taking it to a fabrication shop. Thank you again.