E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

AC system gremlins, won’t blow out of correct vent, sometimes AC is heated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E320
AC system gremlins, won’t blow out of correct vent, sometimes AC is heated

I have a Mercedes Benz E320 wagon that has an AC issue going back a few years. At first it would take 15 to 20 minutes for cool air to start coming out of the center vents. Every time I restarted the car it went through this process. At some point, it quit blowing out of the center vents entirely, and there was no more AC.
About a year ago I replaced my battery. Upon doing this the AC worked great again. The AC worked fine for a couple months and then quit blowing out of the center vents again.
If I leave climate control set to blow out the center vents it will blow when I first start the car, as soon as the car starts driving the air switches to blowing out of the defrost vent. I have noticed recently that I can get full on heat from vent while set to low temp. The problem appears to be getting worse.
I have had a couple mechanics take a look at it. One replaced the expansion valve and recharged compressor which didn’t fix anything. I have a feeling it is a simple fix that very good Mercedes mechanics know about, but I have been unable to get this addressed.
I appreciate any knowledge or suggestions that any of you have 🙏
Old 08-01-2023, 03:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E240 w210 year 2000 v6 2398 c.c

Originally Posted by 818collection
I have a Mercedes Benz E320 wagon that has an AC issue going back a few years. At first it would take 15 to 20 minutes for cool air to start coming out of the center vents. Every time I restarted the car it went through this process. At some point, it quit blowing out of the center vents entirely, and there was no more AC.
About a year ago I replaced my battery. Upon doing this the AC worked great again. The AC worked fine for a couple months and then quit blowing out of the center vents again.
If I leave climate control set to blow out the center vents it will blow when I first start the car, as soon as the car starts driving the air switches to blowing out of the defrost vent. I have noticed recently that I can get full on heat from vent while set to low temp. The problem appears to be getting worse.
I have had a couple mechanics take a look at it. One replaced the expansion valve and recharged compressor which didn’t fix anything. I have a feeling it is a simple fix that very good Mercedes mechanics know about, but I have been unable to get this addressed.
I appreciate any knowledge or suggestions that any of you have 🙏
hello , I think the problem here is the vaccum hoses which control the direction of air ..check it and there is a avaccum hose in the air mainfold under the hood check it because its control the direction of front air vent ...I try to give you some pictures ..
Old 08-01-2023, 04:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Nope not that hose as all flaps are under dash----go to the stickie and look for the W210 flap test do the test and you will then know what flap or flaps are the problem
And changing the faulty actuators is a big deal with dash removal