E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Brake replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2023, 09:54 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2000 E320
Brake replacement

Aloha guys.

As some of you already knows, that recently I was working on my headlight harness. Along with it, my headlight case have peeling coating, so I just wanted to see if I can remove the coating and polish it so decided to remove the headlight. Yes, I know it can be done with case on the car, but I'm learning about the car so decided to remove it. In the process, I had to remove the bolts that in the front wheel well, so turn the steering all the way to each side to access the bolt. While I'm doing this, I noticed that my rotor has a ridge at the outer edge. But at that time, I was working on a headlight case so just checked the pas (which was OK) and moved on.

fast forward it to today, I was looking to replace the rotor so went online and see what's available. Looks like I have several choices to choose from. But checked the caliper and come across the brand I haven't heard of. If possible, I want to stick to new caliper because of where I live (core return will offset any good deal online). If all possible, I want to avoid NAPA as their quality has took a dump from few years ago. But I'm not denying anything.

All I want to do is stock replacement. I don't want to do any upgrade, which online has ton of information. Is there a prefer brand you guy go with? Or should I stick to OE Mercedes, which is always better choice but with hefty price tag + shipping for me. Any advice? I did some search but most on the forum are about upgraded brake setup.
Old 08-12-2023, 09:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
go to autohause for your oem parts
Old 08-13-2023, 01:01 AM

2000 E320
Thanks Plutoe. I'll check it out.
Old 08-13-2023, 02:33 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
CL500, W211 e320 mega-spec
Look out for 'coated' discs as they seem to be a new specification that has appeared relatively recently. I've not bought discs for a few years but up to 2016 I was buying them commercially and don't remember 'coated' discs being an option at that point.

I've not really looked into it so excuse me if I'm wrong and feel free to do your own research... but I think this 'coating' process basically keeps the discs looking new, except on the braking surface. So if your car has an open design on the alloy wheel like mine does then having coated brake discs really improves the look of the car instead of having a rusty life preserver clanking around behind each wheel.
Old 08-13-2023, 04:40 AM
SPONSOR

Received 374 Likes on 225 Posts
11 E550, 16 AMG GTS, 13 S550
AutohausAZ
EEuroparts
FCPEuro

Brembo/Pagid/Jurid/ATE/Textar are all fantastic brands and you can count on them saving your life

I am a huge snob for Brembo in general. They have one of the best coatings on the market.

If you want to ceramic those Powerstop Z23 kits on RockAuto are amazing value, have Geomet coating which is superior to OE, and the pads are carbon fiber reinforced ceramic and the pads don't shed material, squeal, and they're very very soft on rotors bordering on nearly lifetime. The crosshatch is still on my rotors after 30k.

Chris Tran, Service Manager/Owner
Amsoil Independent Dealer #7236674
Old 08-14-2023, 01:12 AM

2000 E320
Thanks Chris. Yeah, Brembo Is the brand. I ride motorcycle, so no explanation there. Kinda heard/saw Pagid before, but other was unknown to me.

I also had Powerstop on my Lincoln LS. I just had the front, but yeah, they were great.

At this point, I'm not too worried about the rotor as they were plentiful. Just the calipers that got me worried as most of them, I never heard of. Specially those new calipers.