E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Need help with intake manifold gasket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 10:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2000 E320
Need help with intake manifold gasket

Aloha guys. Sorry I have so many question. But unlike any other cars that I've worked on, our MB seems to be the hardest to either look for parts or repair.

Anyway, long story short, I'm looking for intake gasket/seal that goes between the top and bottom part of the intake. Is there anything available to seal the top and bottom of the intake? Been looking online but they all return me with the intake gaskets that goes between head and the manifold.

Story with this is my E320 been stalling more frequently now, and when searching the forum, it all pointed to me that it's probably CPS. So while I was checking to see what's involve in this R&R, I manage to break the brake booster vacuum line, or more like the plastic fitting right at the intake.I got most of the stuff out, but the plastic piece that goes into intake, that holds the plastic tube from the hose, wasn't coming out. Pretty much tried everything but couldn't take it off. So I decided to take off the intake manifold to ease my work, I saw that the fitting goes into the top part of the intake, so while I was checking around the intake to see what's involve, saw oil leak coming out from the front of the intake between top and bottom. Come to find out that front two bolts were really loose. Not even hand tight loose. It didn't take any effort to take them out. Besides, the booster vacuum line seems to go only the top part of the intake, so I decided to take only the top part. Sure enough, front part was leaking oil (only little bit but enough to get my attention) and some part of the seal was smashed/pinched and didn't feel comfortable reusing it. Also got the plastic piece out from rear of the intake.

But now, I can and did found pretty much everything but the I can't seems to find that seal/gasket that goes in between top and bottom of the intake.

Am I screwed? Try not to use any silicone on intake as it may get sucked into combustion chamber and cause more problem than sealing. Help!
Old 12-31-2023, 07:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,045 Likes on 968 Posts
1999 E300TD
before you go surfing all your numerous parts requests can simply be answered by yourself while looking at MB EPC. Once again get friendly with the coffee girl at any MB dealer who will help with the answers-----all else you get nothing done correctly.
Old 12-31-2023, 06:21 PM

2000 E320
Thanks Plutoe. But as I mentioned before, dealer here, at least the part department is a joke. Last time I visited was long ago, so things have maybe changed, but I remember the last time I walked in, forgot what I was looking for as it was too long ago and was my friend's car, asked few of the parts and they gave me this blank look when I asked for this one part I was looking for. Maybe it wasn't what Mercedes called, but they didn't even ask me what it was it for or anything. Just gave me this blank look, so I just picked up the few parts they had it available and told my friend maybe he should go there and check. Few days later, that same friend had to take the car in to get it fix what we couldn't get. This was back in the mid 90's, so as I mentioned, things may have changed. But here, it's not only MB dealer. I deal with pretty much any car per friend's request, but most of the parts department guys gave me the "blank look" more than a few times.
Old 01-06-2024, 08:43 PM

2000 E320
Aloha guys. My long awaited parts have arrived to day so I decided to tackle the intake manifold re-assembly. I decided to reuse the old seal between the top and bottom of intake. Tried pretty much everything other than going to the dealer due to my schedule and couldn't find it, so I have no choice. From the looks of it, the seal is not too bad. It's not smashed yet, and I will probably use some kind of sealant at where the seal is smashed.

Now, as I mentioned on previous post, I managed to get the broken booster line fitting out, but I did not realized that I removed something I shouldn't have. The big plastic fitting that goes inside the intake manifold is not there. I removed it along with my broken plastic piece because I could not remove the plastic piece. So I decided to remove it from the back/inside of the intake and remember been so happy getting the piece out. Now, I have a new booster line, along with all the necessary pieces but I do not have the intake fitting, or whatever it's called. I remember big plastic piece came out along with the broken line inside, and some kind of metal seal that sits behind that. Didn't think anything of it, but now, I am stuck.

Does anyone have part # for this or am I screwed, just like the intake seal? I'm hunting for old used intake on Evilbay right now.................

Smashed up seal. Probably use sealant to seal this up.

Looking for pieces that goes in here.