E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

HELP..Problem with OEM alarm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes W210 E280
HELP..Problem with OEM alarm

The car keeps getting weirder and weirder....

yesterday , unlocked my car using the remote, first thing i noticed was that there wasn't a chirp coming from the car, but the door unlocked ok, and the green light on the rear view mirror blinked ok...opened the door, and bang, alarm keeps ringing! close the door and use the remote, it keeps ringing. started the car up, and it still keeps ringing...I was doing all kinds of things and wouldn't stop! so I ended up driving it, with lights flashing and alarm ringing to the mechanic which was like 15km away..now i know how a cop feels when the siren is on! Once I reached the mechanic, i shut off the engine, and the alarm shuts off! After that , its back to normal! kept playing the remote, started the car , etc etc, and it was like noting happened...Mechanic thought it was a one time thing, and i left it as that..

today, same thing happened in the morning, and i coulldn't stop it, until 3-5 minutes later..i ended up going to work with the toyota.

Just wanting to know, is there an off switch which i can hit if it happens again? Want to take it to the shop tommorow, but there's no way I'm gonna drive through the streets, alarm blarring if it happens again!

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 12-09-2004, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Your alarm churps when you turn it on?????????? My inidcators just flash when I lock and unlock and I've never heard anything from my alarm ever since I got the car.....
Old 12-09-2004, 10:43 AM

MY2004 E320
Smile

I agree with Whitey! Mine only flashes. I have never experienced a mercedes having audible alrm (I have had atleast 4 of them in the past). Now, I think that yours might have an aftermarket alarm put in in addition to the factory unit.

The reason why people put aftermarket alarms is BECAUSE they make noise! and that is required in some states to get the insurance discount (Physical deterrence).

My insurance agency (state farm) in Texas always asks me "Does you vehicle have a loud noisy alarm?" and I always say yes, even if I cannot demo it to them.

Try to see where the noise is coming from and have it professionally removed.

to make noise from factory system, put window down on drivers side, lock the car with remote. then manually unlock with hand and try to open door.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
I was beginning to think the security system is just an immobilizer.....must say, an audible churp would be useful if you wish to find your car in a parking lot, but then again, with my color, its not that hard to spot

Mobi, so it does make a noise when it is set off? There was once when I couldn't start my car - I suspected it was because I'd accidentally pressed the the lock button on my key (when inside) and was afraid the alarm would begin to sound but there was never any noise. I pressed the unlock button on the key, also whilst in the car, and it kicked over as normal.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:48 PM

MY2004 E320
Smile

Never tried with my e420 HOWEVER my 1989 190e 2.6 had an issue with a dying battery where alarm would come on in the middle of the night (horn interminnent and lights flashing).

so it DOES make a sound. the horn interminnently goes off. To turn it off, the only way is to put ORIGINAL key (with remote, not the valet) in drivers door and unlock. Does not turn off alarm in trunk or in the pass side because there is no key hole on pass side
Old 12-09-2004, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Focus ST
i also thought that the car only blinkied when the "alarm" alarm went off...unless its tuned to something higher than 20k db

i vote nothing wil happen when i try that window thing
Old 12-09-2004, 07:58 PM

Mercedes W210 E280
Interesting....well, all the Mercs in malaysia (Cs, Es, and Ss ) comes with the OEM alarm and all of them chirps like a tweety bird when the remote is pressed. I wonder whether this could be a South East Asian thing, considering yours doesn't chirp Dave.

I was thinking of putting an aftermarket alarm, plus a card activated immobilizer thing of a jig, considering we do have the occasional car jack here in KL.

Will take it to the shop and see how it goes...
Old 12-09-2004, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by carlsson9
Interesting....well, all the Mercs in malaysia (Cs, Es, and Ss ) comes with the OEM alarm and all of them chirps like a tweety bird when the remote is pressed. I wonder whether this could be a South East Asian thing, considering yours doesn't chirp Dave.

I was thinking of putting an aftermarket alarm, plus a card activated immobilizer thing of a jig, considering we do have the occasional car jack here in KL.

Will take it to the shop and see how it goes...
Are you sure they're "OEM" Karl? I understand a lot of imported cars in Malaysia are assembled in Malaysia and deliberately have some Malaysian parts put in to save on the import taxes (and I guess to satisfy some stupid Bumi law about imported goods - excuse to give jobs to the locals etc.). My friend's 406 and 911 have really aweful windscreens with slight waves and bumps in certain parts - one patch was right in front of the passenger, making me really dizzy when I ride with him
Old 12-10-2004, 01:04 AM

Mercedes W210 E280
LOL...well, we do have the CBU (complete built up models , direct import ) and CKD (Complete Knock Down models, parts from overseas, assembled in malaysia) cars, and both of them have the alarm. I like the chirpy alarm, and it kinds gives the car a bit of character, but i am suprised that everyone else doesn't have it.

As i know, there are no such COnti cars built in with Malaysian made parts (I know there are definitely no malaysian made Mercedes Parts) , so I'm a bit suprised about your friends 911.

But you're right about the Bumi law...can you believe that only they can hold an AP license and no one else? ( License to import cars into the country )

But so far, the car is back to norm..will check it later.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:21 AM

e320 99
My benz is from the US but made in Germany and even when i read in the manual to see whether or not the alarm is armed to disarmed, it says that the ligths will flash three times. If the lights don't flash three times, then some door is open. It never mentions any chirp.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:30 AM

190d
Smile

When an alarm triggers in an unusual state. Like when you start the car It can mean the cars main 12v supply has been cut or open and the alarm is running off its own internal battery .

check the terminals on your battery as some aftermarket alarm fitters run the power straight from the battery and it may have become intermittent

Mogo