E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

diesel question/rust update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
diesel question/rust update

Presently I have 90K on my 1998 E300. Vehicle runs great and still get the same fuel mileage recorded at mile 1. 25-26.

I have noticed lately a heaver exhaust smell. This occurs even after the vehicle has been running. Is this the norm? I haven't changed any filters for 40K + miles but the dealer didn't think that was an issue.

Appreciate your response.

Have an appt. to have the vehicle inspected by the dealer for the rust issue. Sounds like they may take care of it. We will see.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by maxm
Presently I have 90K on my 1998 E300. Vehicle runs great and still get the same fuel mileage recorded at mile 1. 25-26.

I have noticed lately a heaver exhaust smell. This occurs even after the vehicle has been running. Is this the norm? I haven't changed any filters for 40K + miles but the dealer didn't think that was an issue.

Have an appt. to have the vehicle inspected by the dealer for the rust issue. Sounds like they may take care of it. We will see.
Have you ever changed your Glowplugs before. I just changed glowplugs on a 300E, had hell getting them out.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Glow plugs would not be the culprit as they are just starting aids. Could be injectors. Also could be fuel filters. On boats I have owned when the fuel filters became clogged the first symtom was black smoke to some degree and a heavier than normal fuel odor from the exhaust. Still do not understand why as I reason that with a filter restriction it would run lean not rich enough to produce smoke but thats the way it is.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:51 PM

Glow Plugs

Originally Posted by sosh
Glow plugs would not be the culprit as they are just starting aids. Could be injectors. Also could be fuel filters. On boats I have owned when the fuel filters became clogged the first symtom was black smoke to some degree and a heavier than normal fuel odor from the exhaust. Still do not understand why as I reason that with a filter restriction it would run lean not rich enough to produce smoke but thats the way it is.
Sosh you are right about the Glow Plugs. I was just stating I did them because both cars are the same and that was part of the service the car received.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Talking Heavier Exhaust Odor?

Originally Posted by maxm

I have noticed lately a heavier exhaust smell. This occurs even after the vehicle has been running. Is this the norm? I haven't changed any filters for 40K + miles but the dealer didn't think that was an issue.

Your profile does not indicate your location.
That could make a difference. Are you in an area where the fuel in winterized?
Have you changed your fuel brand to see if that will make any difference?

Sounds like you may be in a rust prone area?

Don't our cars have some sort of a convertor, which as I understand it, is there only to change the smell or odor. At least so my friend with a TDI says. He keeps telling me he wants to remove his cat because he likes the smell of straight diesel exhaust!

Mine smells the same ever since we first got it 17 months and 32K miles ago. We now have about 115K miles on the odometer.
'Course, we're here in California where most if not all fuel is relatively good when compared to some other locations.
One thing about the C A R B, they do man a tight ship when it comes to their requirements. Surfur averages only 325 ppm.
By law, it is limited to less than 500 ppm.
Even fill ups over in Lost Wages do not change the smells omitted. But if the truth be know, their fuel may be the same as Californias' fuel?

What did the dealer have to say?