E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Seat Belt Light and delay interior shutoff

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 06:55 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Seat Belt Light and delay interior shutoff

My seat belt light on my 93 400E will not stop blinking unless the door is open (the button the door closes on is disengaged so the light does not blink) and my delayed interior light shutoff will not work either. The SRS light came on for a brief period and the shop thinks I might have a controle module problem.

Has anyone run into this and is there a quick fix? It may not be a major thing but the blinking is driving me crazy!
Old 01-22-2005, 08:24 PM

1997 E320 2000 ML430
Just a guess, there might be a seat belt sensor in the buckle going bad or disconnected. However I am not sure this car has sensors in the buckles. Regarding the delay interior light, did this stop working when the door sensor was disconnected?
Old 01-22-2005, 08:32 PM
Almost a Member!

Nope - the interior light stays on all the time if it is on the setting that is supposed to go off once you close the door. However, when the door stays open the seat belt indicator does not flash. I am hoping it is in the wiring or a switch related to that whole console in the roof and that it is not too expensive (can that even happen with MB repairs?) thanks for the reply.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:50 PM

1997 E320 2000 ML430
Opening the door probably suspends the seat belt checking logic/circuit. I assume this is only happens when the car is running or key in the on poition. What did you mean by the following "the button the door closes on is disengaged so the light does not blink"? Are you talking about a switch in the interior or the actual door sensor (probably plunger style).

Also, what is your model number, 124.### (fill in the ###).
Old 01-22-2005, 09:02 PM
Almost a Member!

Model is a 124 -I think - 93 400E.

When the door is open, the seat belt light does not blink - you are right there is a "plunger" style peg that gets compressed when the door closes which is when the seat belt lights begins flashing. When the door is open it does not flash as the plunger is not depressed. The interior light is set on the option that should cause it to turn off seconds after the door is closed but that the light stays on.

I hope I am explaining this well and I really appreciate the responses from you. I am hoping to avoid major diagnostic fees and especially an unnecessary repair.

Regarding the model number, I assume the W210 is the body style and the 124 is the engine/chassis number? Sorry if I seem ignorant, but I have not payed attention as I used to let the repair shop handle everything and I am starting to take more ownership of what gets done to my car hence my interest in this forum.

P.S. - there is a seat belt warning relay for the car. Could a bad relay cause this to happen?

Last edited by jpganman; 01-22-2005 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 01-22-2005, 09:21 PM

1997 E320 2000 ML430
By my WIS system, your car is a 124.034 with engine 119.975. There is also a transmission number with the same format. If you have your complete owner's manual there should be a card that has all this information in it. Just an FYI, since your car is a 124, you are posting to the wrong forum. There is a 124 forum. I would suggest doing a search within that forum. Also, check out mbnz.org.

I looked in my WIS manuals (for MB) and found the following. It may be included in you owner's manual but here it is just in case.
--------------
82-0012 Function of dome lamp control unit

Dome lamp control unit The dome lamp control unit contains the dome lamp and reading lamp, the seat belt reminder lamp, the in- car temperature sensor and, if the optional tilting/sliding roof is fitted, the switch for the latter.

Seat belt reminder lamp
A seat belt reminder lamp is fitted to indicate that the seat belt should be fastened. It flashes irrespective of whether the belt is fastened. The seat belt reminder lamp is controlled by the door contact switches and the electronic cutoff delay of the dome lamp. When the front door opened, the seat belt reminder lamp shows a steady light. When the dome lamp switch is in position "0", the seat belt reminder lamp is illuminated only if the ignition is switched on (key position 2). When the front door is closed, the seat belt reminder lamp flashes for 12 F 1 seconds. This time is reduced to 6 F 1 seconds when the ignition is switched on (key position 2). If the ignition is switched on again after this period (key position 2), the seat belt reminder lamp once again flashes for 6 F 1 seconds.
------------------------

Also, I found another article that pointed to short circuits in the dome lamp unit but it referenced older models from the 80's. The fix of course is to replace the unit. I would suggest taking it off and looking for short circuits that should be repaired. Again, search in the 124 forum for more specific help. I could be way off base. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Almost a Member!

Many thanks! I will do as you suggested and appreciate the details.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Talking W-124 Forum

There is a seperate W-124 forum.

Perhaps someone over on that side is more famaliar with your problem?