E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Busted Tire Over Weekend

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Busted Tire Over Weekend

'01E430: Oh well, it had to happen. Goodyear Eagle F1-GSD (the one that we all dislike!!!) went flat over the weekend - 80mph, Rt50 going east in MD: Avalon tries pursuit, punched it to 100 (avalon was dust immediately - and he gave up), over a wide smooth left hander @ 90, exit coming up 100 yards away on right, let ABS handle the heat, exit, car pulls to right, hear louder than usual tire noise (as if these tires can really get any louder???), stop, look, front driver's side is bone flat!!! Darn, Just when my adrenaline was at it's best. That's not the story. Here it is: So I call roadside for help. Tough on a Sunday. Answering service has a hard time finding service on a Sunday, tells me to call them back in 20 minutes - that I can understand. I didn't want to wait 20 mins (was parked in an uncomfortable edge of a narrow two lane road) so I decide to do it myself. Man the spare rims on the full size tire is pretty. This thing will pass for regular rims on some cars. Problem is that MB doesn't have anything in their tool box to open the latch for the jack to go into - I was surprised at this. Lucky for me, I hadn't trimmed my nails for a while and didn't care to break a piece of it - darn that hurt!!! I suggest you have a small flat head screw driver handy. I also liked the jack - very easy to operate compared with the regular scissor types. Anyway, I had it all replaced and will have the tire fixed today. I wish all four had gone - then I'd have an excuse to buy those S03's. Ha!Ha!!Ha!!!. I hope you all had a great weekend.
Old 06-03-2002, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M3 Cab
Re: Busted Tire Over Weekend

Originally posted by Darkmann
I also liked the jack - very easy to operate compared with the regular scissor types.
i found the same thing with the jack in the E-class, it was so much easier to use than the regular scissor type. i'd have to say it speeds things up considerably. good thing your tire didn't shred.