E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Gruppe M intake pics!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Originally Posted by JamE55
Rich you pimp! :p Very nice mang! Need to see that at the Feb 5 GTG! Maybe you can even take me for a spin/test? :p

So what's next in line? Oh btw where's the NOS bottles? :p
James...It's 50/50 on the GTG as I mentioned to you over the phone I've got a prior engagement to attend to first How long do you guys plan on staying at the Rose Bowl?

NOS???? After the SL65 motor swap, roll cage and Mickey Thompsons

BTW: How's your project that we discussed? any decisions yet?
Old 02-01-2005, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by freshyip
LOL it was you on rennsport, i can't believe it haha i just made a fool out of myself hehe..j/k

BTW what did rennsport help you out with if you don't mind me asking

Sincerely,
Hehehe, no worries buddy, I should have indicated it to you on my reply :p

I met Samir a few years back before Rennsport, unfortunately he sold his "Technik CLK55" and is now more involved with bimmers, however when I approached him with the Gruppe M experiement, he was cool to provide tech support.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LorinserLV2
Your car looks *****

Really Fantastic.

Just one question.... THE OEM intake box gets the air right from the grill, meaning that no hot air is sucked into the engine, not talking about the heating of the intake box, since the mouth of the intake is right on the grill.

Seeing that GruppeM intake,i see that it isnt really pointed to a place that breathes only fresh air , but maybe in middle of hug HP numbers like yours that doesnt make all that difference

Ill probably be installing one BMC CDA one of these days , and will decide with getting the air from behind the fog light , or try to find a way to make it just like the snorkel that goes from the grill to the intake chamber,
Fabricating the air inlet tube to channel the flow to the mouth of the Gruppe M is the key factor, otherwise yes the in coming airflow as it reaches inside with sporadically discharge mixing with hot engine air.

With the BMC CDA, I recommend just to monitor your MAFS (voltage readings), my unit malfunction without throwing any codes.

One of the first intake experiment I did was the long 3" mandrel bend tube CAI w/cone filter (ala AEM), I lost a tremendous amount of power; 20rwhp. It seems logical drawing cold air from the lower bumper grill, but the length it travels to meet the MAF is questionable.

I have found the OEM airbox produces the best #s on the dyno.

Last edited by Richard Galing; 02-01-2005 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:42 PM

96´E280 6.cyl
Thanks for data

I guess ill just try to develop another snorkel to attach the intake box.

Trying to make it reach the same place, but a bigger one...
Old 02-01-2005, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by Richard023
I have found the OEM airbox produces the best #s on the dyno.
Please clarify Rich......I'm sure you're not implying that these things are doing what they're supposed to do.......... But I do believe cone filters are meant to take power away, at least initially.

Yes, a "snorkel" and making the air travel further will be in efficient...the more direct the better..... Rich, have you also tested wrapping the hoses with heat reflective material? I'm scepticle but that should help the air stay cooler just a little bit longer.

Last edited by Whitey; 02-01-2005 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:27 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
James...It's 50/50 on the GTG as I mentioned to you over the phone I've got a prior engagement to attend to first How long do you guys plan on staying at the Rose Bowl?

NOS???? After the SL65 motor swap, roll cage and Mickey Thompsons

BTW: How's your project that we discussed? any decisions yet?
Yeah no prob Rich. Great if you can make it but again if not no worries. We're probably going to be there for a while because since it's a larger group than last year i think people will just stay there and do a lot of talking. So we'll probably be there for a few hours. Swing by if you can.

SL65 motor swap? wtf! You are :p lol Still doing a little bit more homework on the project. You'll know when it's done...
Old 02-01-2005, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AC Schnitzer E46
Richard

Unforunately I will not be bringing the Carlsson E, but rather a stock white E320 :P

About what time would we might expect you to show up? I would love to see your car in person!
Old 02-02-2005, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LorinserLV2
Thanks for data

I guess ill just try to develop another snorkel to attach the intake box.

Trying to make it reach the same place, but a bigger one...
Great...keep me posted how it turns out

If you do decide near the foglight placement, be aware a ram air setup can scoop water during rain storms and possibly hydrolock. I used the AEM bypass valve to divert this.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Whitey
Please clarify Rich......I'm sure you're not implying that these things are doing what they're supposed to do.......... But I do believe cone filters are meant to take power away, at least initially.

Yes, a "snorkel" and making the air travel further will be in efficient...the more direct the better..... Rich, have you also tested wrapping the hoses with heat reflective material? I'm scepticle but that should help the air stay cooler just a little bit longer.
Oddly, I made the most power on a dynojet dyno using 36 in fans with the OEM airbox intact. The long ram CAI loss significant power, perhaps due to the angular tubing disrupting the airflow, the short ram inhaled engine heat and the BMC fouled the MAFS. The OEM is restrictive by design, mainly for reducing noise but still produce the better #s on my 430.

I've used the Thermo Tec wrapping and Design Engineering's radiant heat tape; bad results...the wrapping doesn't cosmetically blend in an MB engine bay and the heat tape in due time begins to peel leaving adhesive residue on the plastic box.

By design, conical filters with it's large surface areas for it's filtering medium should not take power away, and by using an air diverter to redirect air into the intake tube makes the design more efficient....placement is key.

Here's a thought...
Find a way to disable the sensor within the MAF and by using an alternative sensor (Intake air temp. sensor) placed directly in the path of fresh air, this information received by the ECU is now based on fact and not an erroneous reading from underhood temperature; engine, radiator or A/C condenser. That said, fuel & timing can now be adjust accordingly...question is where is the most efficient location of the relocated probe.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Here's a thought...
Find a way to disable the sensor within the MAF and by using an alternative sensor (Intake air temp. sensor) placed directly in the path of fresh air, this information received by the ECU is now based on fact and not an erroneous reading from underhood temperature; engine, radiator or A/C condenser. That said, fuel & timing can now be adjust accordingly...question is where is the most efficient location of the relocated probe.
Mmmmm, interesting but get a life bro, lol. Currently at work so all that makes no sense to me but I'm sure it'll come back to me when home....

I think you're right, the trick to the cones is the placement but I sure wouldn't do it on my E unless there is proper way to avoid (significantly) picking up the engine bay's heat and properly routing the air to it....I just don't like the way many people have done their cones - I've yet to see one done in a way that looks "efficient" and I am very keen to see a set up that has been done with good results.

"Doesn't cosmetically blend" ????!!!!!...I always knew there was some vanity in you Richie-boy

Last edited by Whitey; 02-02-2005 at 03:06 AM.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:56 AM

96´E280 6.cyl
Already had some ideas..

Regarding the snorkel i´ll probably be using those tubes that are used in the Subwoofers box, i have few friends that own Honda Integra Type R´s and that´s what they use to connect the intake box to the bumper.

Now, will have to find another "mouth" to attacj to the grill. Cant install one much bigger because of the space. I dont think it will be better to direct a snorkel to the place behind the fog light , because in the OEM way it sucks the air directly from the grill, which is somewhat forced into the intake. Still have to see what i can arrange to take the most profit from that grill space.

Keep ya posted
Old 02-04-2005, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by eLemnt | 0ne
Richard

Unforunately I will not be bringing the Carlsson E, but rather a stock white E320 :P

About what time would we might expect you to show up? I would love to see your car in person!
IC...in that case I'll be looking out for your stocker E320 I'll try my darnest to swing by...man, it would be nice to meet the MBW fellas
Old 02-04-2005, 03:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Yo Rich, I'll be there w/ my slow E55. I hope to see u there!
Old 02-05-2005, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by The Doctor
Yo Rich, I'll be there w/ my slow E55. I hope to see u there!
Hey Mike, I made out to the Rose Bowl by 4pm, and according to the only (2) guys left in lot K most of the crowd headed off to Fuddruckers, I did get the chance to meet ADX and Benzoboi at the resturant parking lot but I had to leave quickly...it's too bad I didn't get the chance to see your speed-demon fifty five
Old 02-05-2005, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AC Schnitzer E46
Shoot! I missed the meet... I called one of the guys up (DancingBenzos) and he told me that you guys were at the Fuddruckers, but it was already like 4 and he said that everyone was leaving so... >_< that sucked...

How was the meet? Any pics?>
Old 02-05-2005, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by eLemnt | 0ne
How was the meet? Any pics?>
I heard it was a big turnout, checkout the snap shots in the Off Topic forum
Old 02-06-2005, 02:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
i didnt make it. I was stuck at TWS
Old 02-06-2005, 04:42 AM
Almost a Member!

Europäischer Saloon
where are the pics? new thread time!

Sincerely,
Old 02-06-2005, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by The Doctor
i didnt make it. I was stuck at TWS
Yeah...bring-on those snap shots
Old 03-29-2005, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Hi, Richard,

I am thinking about upgrade intake.
First, I was thinking about AMG intake, but, I don't know which one will fit my V6 engine.
Then, I found your thread, and know that you used both BMC and Gruppe M.
Could you please give me some advice about the intake?

Thank you very much!
Ben
Old 03-29-2005, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Wuzup fellas?!!! Man have I missed a lot in here. The Benzo is looking sick Richie! I'm purchasing another house closer to you now man near Chatsworth & Zelzah and we'll have to meet up, I want to check out the beast. If my offer gets accepted I'll fix the pad up and maybe have an MB GTG pool party this summer (will advise).

In the meantime, what's going on with the Carlsson machine Usman??? Are you living back in the SCV now?

James, Alex and Dave, hope all is well and I see a lot of new peeps in here. I am buys as heck but will do my best to pop in from time to time.

Take care everyone and talk to you soon, maybe at the next GTG!

- JDG
Old 03-29-2005, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
jimmy, i got my cell..........i don't have your number, man make some time and come down......
Old 04-01-2005, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Originally Posted by alexbenz
jimmy, i got my cell..........i don't have your number, man make some time and come down......
I'm traveling at the moment but I want to make time to come to your shop. I'll call you when I get back soon. I'll e-mail you my cell. #.

Laterz,

JDG
Old 04-04-2005, 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by benchang88
Hi, Richard,

I am thinking about upgrade intake.
First, I was thinking about AMG intake, but, I don't know which one will fit my V6 engine.
Then, I found your thread, and know that you used both BMC and Gruppe M.
Could you please give me some advice about the intake?

Thank you very much!
Ben
Hey Ben...sorry for my late reply!
In reference to the BMC CDA (Carbon Dynamic Airbox), the unit served 5-7rwhp gain on a Superflow dyno on my NA E430, granted these were peak #s near the top end of the rev range. However, both Mark Cummins & myself experience MAFS malfunction twice. Perhaps the preformance gains could have been greater, who's to say if my MAFS was healthy at the time of dyno. A buddy of mine has been using the unit on his M5 for months and has no failed issues with his MAFS...go figure I purchased the BMC CDA for approx. $270 at a Porsche race shop, the fit & finish of the carbon is decent with the exception of the included flex-tube (ala laundry hose), I would suggest using a high-temp silicon hose. Your application would use the CDA85-150 as mine did.

The Gruppe M is expensive "eye candy" a conversation piece when you pop the hood, I don't have any quantified dyno #s with this unit as of yet on my supercharged E430 but in comparison to the stock airbox, the GM's ram effect design improves throttle response more prominent when you stomp the loud pedal at frwy speeds. I've done some butt-dyno testing between the the OEM & GM since it's a 10 min swap...money tells me the GM serves me better & I'm luving the sinister intake sound Again, this is on a FI positive displacement setup were pressure volume can be critical, I don't believe the gains would be as substantial on a NA engine. As for the Gruppe M & MAFS compatibility...I'm keeping my fingers cross, so far so good. Currently, the unit is on my ML for some data testing, but feel free to sent me a PM if you want to see it up close & personal.

Good luck on your hunt!
Old 04-04-2005, 03:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=jimmydagreek]Wuzup fellas?!!! Man have I missed a lot in here. The Benzo is looking sick Richie! I'm purchasing another house closer to you now man near Chatsworth & Zelzah and we'll have to meet up, I want to check out the beast. If my offer gets accepted I'll fix the pad up and maybe have an MB GTG pool party this summer (will advise).

Yo Jimbo, nice of you to chime-in Yeah, I know that area real well and CONGRATS hope all goes smooth on your purchase ...in fact you might see me lurking around the retailers on all four corners of that intersection cuz Porter Ranch Town Center is increasingly becoming kaos I did look into a property investment off Rinaldi & Zelzah (north of the Christian School) a few months ago but ended up purchasing in Rancho Verdugo @Shadow Hills.