E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Voltage stabilizer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e320
Voltage stabilizer

Does anyone know if a voltage stabilizer really does what the write up says it does?:

INCREASE TORQUE
IMPROVE FUEL ECONOMY
IMPROVE ENGINE RESPONSE
STABILIZES IDLING
QUICK ENGINE START
LESSER ENGINE NOISE
OPTIMIZE ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT PERFORMANCE
There is one for sale on ebay for $65.00 and if it does all this it is well worth the price.ANy thoughts on this?
Old 02-15-2005, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
It doesn't do any of these. The ECU controls all of these, and ECU is program to be efficiency at variable voltage.

The only I know this device would do is that it'll suck you money dry, and the seller problably laugh at buyer for being silly sucker

Originally Posted by mercedeslover
Does anyone know if a voltage stabilizer really does what the write up says it does?:

INCREASE TORQUE
IMPROVE FUEL ECONOMY
IMPROVE ENGINE RESPONSE
STABILIZES IDLING
QUICK ENGINE START
LESSER ENGINE NOISE
There is one for sale on ebay for $65.00 and if it does all this it is well worth the price.ANy thoughts on this?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by mercedeslover

INCREASE TORQUE
IMPROVE FUEL ECONOMY
IMPROVE ENGINE RESPONSE
STABILIZES IDLING
QUICK ENGINE START
LESSER ENGINE NOISE
.....and:
improved fuel economy,
reduced black smoke/cleaner exhaust tips,
softer gas pedal feel....

Generally yes but depends on the product and generally not a tremedous boost in performance, if that's what you're looking for. Works by improving efficiency of power supply thereby improving sparking (and electrical flow to equipment). I have tried one product and noted subtle improvements - monitored current and voltage definitely has become more stable after installation, even with most equipment switched on (headlamps, A/C, audio etc). Will be testing another brand in due course, focussing on fuel savings capabilities.

Some later model cars actually have these or similar devices as standard - whether or not they're worth the money really depends on what you're looking for....in the long run, the improved fuel efficiency will eventually payoff the "investment"...question is, how long it would take?

Last edited by Whitey; 02-15-2005 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e320
Thanks for the info and comments. I was looking at it mostly because I have spent about $1,500 replacing components to try to find out why my idle fluctuates up and down by about 300 rpms and my headlights flicker when this happens. No one seems to be able to figure it out and I have tried 3 differet mercedes experts (supposedly). Any ideas? I have changed the MAF, coils, plugs , suppressors, etc. to no avail. Help.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Easy answer - the stabilizers are not the cure either...but it maybe the alternator/generator (or whatever they're called).