E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Questions from another newcomer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 11:42 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions from another newcomer

Hello all. I'm just at the end of my first week with a 2000 E320 - 90,000 mi. What a wonderful car. My previous (still have it) was an '85 300D Turbo. What a difference 15 years and 120000 miles makes.

Anyway, I notice a small problem with the climate control. In auto-mode, I hear a meek little squealy sound and can hear the fan motor surging a bit - as though it's trying to get to the next higher speed setting but can't. If I set the fan speed higher manually, it does go higher - all the way to high. The problem seems to be about the same no matter what the temperature in the cabin is. The display doesn't fluctuate with the fan motor surging.

I either can't figure out the operation of the overhead lights or it's not working right. If I set the switch so that the cabin lights should go on when opening the door they just turn on and never go off. If I turn off the lights seperately with the fore and aft switches then open the door and get out - when I close the door the lights go on and never go off. Setting the switch the other way, the lights do not come on at all.

I have some deep and unsightly scapes in the front lower cowl. I'm sure it was scraped on a parking-space barrier or the like. Can someone suggest how I can get some color matched spray paint to touch it up a bit. In that area, extraordinary proficient painting skills shouldn't really be necessary - just a good color match. I know where the paint code placque is located, but not sure what part of all the stuff stamped on it is the actual paint color code.

I have at least one bulb out in the instrument cluster. I understand from reading around here that the instrument cluster is just pressed in and a pair of hook tools can be used to extract it. I went to the local dealer to try to find out what lamps are needed and maybe get the hook tools and the parts department couldn't help me - in either case. They couldn't tell me what lamp is needed and had never heard of "them hook tools." (I hate dealing with them - period) So, anyone got an idea about the lamps? What I see at night is a dark spot to the left of the speedometer. The right half of the instrument cluster is well lighted. And if I need to fashion some kind of hooks from a coat hangar, what exactly would it look like - and do they get inserted into the area between the instrument cluster sides and the wood dash strips?

I deeply appreciate any information I can get. I really appreciate the fact that most of the threads entered here have been replied to. The other board I tried to find some of this same info on got me nothing.

Thanks, lots

Brian - Yakima, WA
Old 02-26-2005, 11:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MY2004 E320
Smile Instrument cluster light

I had a similar problem with my cluster (one bulb out). Try the dealer again and ask for "Instrument cluster removal tool" I purchased mine in Houston from Greenway Mercedes for about $11.00 dealer retail.

Honestly, the hanger works (once you see what the actual tool looks like), but I tried it and almost ripped the upholstry off. I strongly suggest the actual tool since it is very inexpensive.

Once you pull the cluster out, You will see the reason for dealer not giving you a specific bulb as there are three different sized bulbs used in the cluster. Bulbs run around 3.85 or 2.85 (cannot exactly remember) but some reasonable mount. You will have to find the bulb that is bad (I say bad because I had a bulb that interminnently went on and off - BAD bulb)

About where the tool goes: between the cluster liner (black) and the vinyl upholstery surrounding the cluster (In my case, beige since the car is green/parchment). The tool looks like a small rod (about the diameter of a wire hanger) and the edges (about 3mm) are tilted to the side making it look lik an "L". There is a handle on the other side. Total length about 6 inches. you insert it flush to the right AND left side (need two of the tools, dealer sells you a pair for $11). and rotate them 90 degrees so hook can be caught behind the cluster. then you gently pull and cluster moves to the front, as soon as you have room to pry it out, stop and use fingers to pull it STRAIGHT out. If you decide to go with hanger wire, make sure to make a handle on the back side, otherwise you will not be able to rotate the wire alone.

Only once you have to take the cluster out and you will never miss a beat removing it next time. It is that simple. Solely my opinion thiugh, if you can somehow pull it out without tools - it is a straight out pull - absolutely NO screws or pins. Grab it tight from top and bottom, and just pull it out, being very careful not to break it. Once it is de-seated, you cn use fingers and nails to pry it out. The cables connecting to the cluster are very long. I also strongly advise lowering the steering all the way and telescoping it all the way towards the driver. That should give you enough room.

About the lights: Have you ever considered the possibility that one of your door sensors might be out (Keeping lights on in DOOR position). That is more likely IMHO than something wrong with the switch itself.

Last edited by mobinakhtar; 02-26-2005 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:43 PM
Almost a Member!

Thabk you very much, Moby,

Your description of the tool and the process is very helpful. I run printing presses for part of my living and am a pretty good problem solver, so this should be at least as easy as fixing one of those.

The dealer looked up the lamps and was considering two different styles - which he said he had neither of which in stock. Gotta find out which I need and go from there.

The interior light situation is puzzling, but I can get a "change-of-state" when setting the switch in some particular position (which I believe is the position in which the doors control the lighting) and then opening (or closing) the driver's door. Not sure about any other doors - haven't tested on them yet. I'll look into your suggestion.

Many thanks again, this seems like a nice friendly place. And reading past messages has helped me understand a lot so far.

Brian
Old 02-26-2005, 04:12 PM
Almost a Member!

E280 V6 1999 Advantgarde 18in AMG's
Hi we had the same problem light out but we were able to buy a replacement from our local Halfords car accessorie shop... cheap as chips too easy to fit once you have pulled the cluster out....dont be put off if the new ones look a little different as the ones on the Merc are an old design now new ones were easier to put in and out shake it all about hey hey

Betty
Old 02-26-2005, 08:12 PM
Almost a Member!

Well, fooey...

The instrument cluster just wouldn't give itsself up. I tried pulling and pulling and only managed to knock out another lamp - the one that illiminated the little temperature display. I suppose I bumped out its plug or something when I was fishing around down there trying to find another place to work the cluster loose. The one good thing is that I didn't break something or gouge something on the outside where it would show. I fashoned a set of hooks - good stiff clothes hangar wire with a hook end of about 3 mm, bent just past 90 degrees. Started at the sides and tried persuasion all around that thing. I pulled the hooks out straight several times. No joy!

I do have an appointment on Tuesday with an independant fellow who comes highly recommended by several persons, including the best local autoparts house specializing in import parts and does lots of MB sales. I'll let him fight with it while he's trying to figure out the climate control fan control issue.

Hi, Betty. Thanks for the cheer.

Brian
Old 02-27-2005, 03:38 AM
Almost a Member!

Yeh you will need a stronger metal than a coat hanger...we used and old steal saw handel bent like a hook only on one side did we pull as if you pull straight it want come you have to ease it out slow and firm...give it another go and dont be scared
Old 02-27-2005, 03:40 AM
Almost a Member!

Yeh you will need a stronger metal than a coat hanger...we used and old steal saw handel bent like a hook only on one side did we pull as if you pull straight it want come you have to ease it out slow and firm...give it another go and dont be scared

Have you seen this

http://www.edsoto.com/w210/disassemb...nter_step4.htm

Betty
Old 02-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Almost a Member!

Yes, Betty,

The link you provided and the video clears up the proceedure some. The hook tools look better than the ones I made and are no doubt of harder metal.

If the mechanic I'm going to doesn't have these, I'll go after them myself.

Thanks again,

Brian
Old 02-27-2005, 07:04 PM

1979 911SC, 2001 E55, 1999 CLK430, 1993 190E 2.6
I used to pull the climate control out with a European Radio Removal Tool. These sometimes can be found in auto parts stores, but can certainly be found on Snap-On trucks if you see one at a service center.