E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

GS testdrive report

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
Originally Posted by Omegaonne
Quick question. I noted that some members would trade in their E320 or E500 for the new GS or even an LS. Would you trade in your E55 for a GS? Or are we just talking about sedans in the same class and price range? I would definately not trade in a E55 for a GS. Just wondering.
No. E55 is in a class by itself. But at same price range and class. Really can't take the W211 over the competition.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:02 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by MadManAboutTown
"Other than the better dash design, I really can't find anything that W211 does well."

Nice objective review - not!
well einstein. give me some rebuttal based on something concrete.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by krispykrme

Well, I see your trying really hard to make friends here in this forum as well... Why don't you go back to the e55 forum and continue giving your worthless comparison reports on other cars over there....Oh yea, they hate you there too... I really wish you would take your own advise and just buy your GS, BMW or whatever and leave us in peace... I personally could care less what you think a good car should be like... I'm very happy with my purchase and have NO REGRETS, unlike you so deal with it... I visit here to read about MBs, not some jackass review of a car I would never consider to purchase.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by Omegaonne
Quick question. I noted that some members would trade in their E320 or E500 for the new GS or even an LS. Would you trade in your E55 for a GS? Or are we just talking about sedans in the same class and price range? I would definately not trade in a E55 for a GS. Just wondering.
My E55 is the daily driver I would not trade it for anything right now. Had an extensive test drive of the 997C2S last night. Nice car handles well in the rain but it's hard to see me giving up all the luxury for one. The 997 interior is much nicer than the 996.

I think I'll rather have a fully loaded E350 or a diesel over a GS430, LS boat, M45, RL, whatever. In my books, all Japanese cars stink (literally, they have that distinctive Japanese plastic leather smell since the 80s which makes me sick), including the new Odyssey we just bought. Well, at least the Odyssey doesn't have those orange plastic fake wood which is just too gaudy for me.

The only positive thing I have to say about high end Japanese cars is their good stereo, but it appears to be going downhill in the new GS?
Old 03-10-2005, 12:55 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Well, I see your trying really hard to make friends here in this forum as well... Why don't you go back to the e55 forum and continue giving your worthless comparison reports on other cars over there....Oh yea, they hate you there too... I really wish you would take your own advise and just buy your GS, BMW or whatever and leave us in peace... I personally could care less what you think a good car should be like... I'm very happy with my purchase and have NO REGRETS, unlike you so deal with it... I visit here to read about MBs, not some jackass review of a car I would never consider to purchase.
Exactly the response i am looking for. typical mercedes jacka$$ owner that wears the pr1ck outside. Thinking i am top of the world and all other are ****.

Very professional. This make me laugh every day. Unless you can come up with a rebuttal, keep your comment to yourself.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:47 PM

11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
W210 - What is a 997C2S??

Thanks
Old 03-10-2005, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Porsche, new style 911. C2 is a Carrerra 2 (2 wheel drive, not 4) and S is the sport package.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:51 PM

11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
Exactly the response i am looking for. typical mercedes jacka$$ owner that wears the pr1ck outside. Thinking i am top of the world and all other are ****.

Very professional. This make me laugh every day. Unless you can come up with a rebuttal, keep your comment to yourself.
I don't know, from what I have read that you have written, you can be a very rude, unprofessional and insensitive writer yourself, so I would not rush to judge others and throw stones so quickly.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:12 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by sacguy
I don't know, from what I have read that you have written, you can be a very rude, unprofessional and insensitive writer yourself, so I would not rush to judge others and throw stones so quickly.
I never said i was not. But I will not attack 1st unless provoked. I am simply using the tone that other used in response to him/her.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:20 PM

2004 E500
Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to surmise that for someone to post such a pro-Lexus (and anti-MB) review on an MB forum, he/she is only looking to **** people off.

I really don't care one way or the other, since eveyone has their own opinion on things. I couldn't resist commenting the first time, but I will resist this time.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Exactly the response i am looking for.
Yes of coarse, Thats because your an argumentitive, opinionated trouble maker...(AKA troll), But anyone thats been on the e55 forum and has been here a while knows this already... Guess the only thing I'm guilty of is responding to your P.O.S posts and telling you how I feel and I'm sure I speak for a few more here....

So do us a favor and buy your P.O.S. GS and leave.... But please don't go away mad... Just GO AWAY....
Old 03-10-2005, 08:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
17 E220D, 11 E350 CDI(sold), 06 CLS320 CDI (sold), 05 Cadillac DeVille (gone), 04 E320 CDI (sold)
Come on HOH, don't *****foot around, tell us what you really think.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Lightbulb 997c2s

Originally Posted by sacguy
W210 - What is a 997C2S??

Thanks
Porsche new 911 which is called 997 Carrera 2 S.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:43 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Yes of coarse, Thats because your an argumentitive, opinionated trouble maker...(AKA troll), But anyone thats been on the e55 forum and has been here a while knows this already... Guess the only thing I'm guilty of is responding to your P.O.S posts and telling you how I feel and I'm sure I speak for a few more here....

So do us a favor and buy your P.O.S. GS and leave.... But please don't go away mad... Just GO AWAY....
Trouble maker? Like i said, truth hurts. This is a discussion forum. Anything has to do with W211 includes compeition does relate to this forum.

If you have nothing to add, simply shut up. How difficult is that?

Argumentive in nature? Who started this name calling 1st. You want to be a jacka$$ to anyone who disagree with you. You deserved the response you get. SIMPLE AS THAT. I am all for an eye for an eye.

Take a look in the mirror at yourself. You can't come back with a valid counter point and engaged in name calling. If i am argumentive in nature, then you must be a jacka$$ in nature.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:58 PM

04 E55
Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to surmise that for someone to post such a pro-Lexus (and anti-MB) review on an MB forum, he/she is only looking to **** people off.

I really don't care one way or the other, since eveyone has their own opinion on things. I couldn't resist commenting the first time, but I will resist this time.
My point is simple. This thread is in reponse to some post made under the 2006 GS in which some owners here were acting like bunch of rich snob that give the MB owners outthere a bad name. I did not plan to buy a GS, but feel intrigued to check it out after several snobs on this forum beat up a car without even testing it 1st, or lies to make a point.

The post was made to dismiss a lot of errorneous claim made in that thread. I am not like typical snob owners such as you and hell on harley, that simply treat MB as a god that can't be criticized. Feel so important and so much status in driving a mercedes that all other manuf are pieces of dirt that deserve no mention.

I don't care if this is MB forum. Different voices have to be heard as long as the comment are truthful. A forum and a manuf would be better if there are many different voice that pushes for a change. So you and other snob would become a MB police by telling other people who disagree to shut up. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN **** AND YOU? NOTHING. IT'S YOUR WAY OR SHUT UP.

If any car manuf. continuous to live in a shell, it will be replaced and become outdated. Just look at how much bad press MB has been getting and in some extent it has driven mercedes to begin to turn a corner.

You and other snobs has not come back with a valid rebuttal based on fact or opinion. IMHO, none of you are better than a **** in disguise.

I have said many times, MB owners are probably have the most snob attitude out there. All the claim about BMW owners are snob are in no way come close to the typicl snob post made here.

This is a car. A man made product. It's not perfect and it never will be. I find is so amusing that several snobs here would treat it like a god's gift from heaven that can't be criticized. Take a look in the mirror, see what kind of snob you are, then learn how to accept the fact that there are better alternate choice out there. If you prefer mercedes badge, and will blindly follow it. Fine by me. But not all people think like a lemming that would mindless follow the leader into sea and drown.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My point is simple. This thread is in reponse to some post made under the 2006 GS in which some owners here were acting like bunch of rich snob that give the MB owners outthere a bad name.
I commend your mission in attempting to 'save' certain MB owners from the 'bad rep', but at the end of the day, be it a brand prestige snob, reliability snob, crash-test snob, performance snob, aesthetics snob, luxury snob, performance snob, nav snob, stereo snob, phone snob, it doesn't really matter as we all have our priorities.

At the end of the day, we're all car snobs.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:12 PM

2004 E500
My point is simple. This thread is in reponse to some post made under the 2006 GS in which some owners here were acting like bunch of rich snob that give the MB owners outthere a bad name. I did not plan to buy a GS, but feel intrigued to check it out after several snobs on this forum beat up a car without even testing it 1st, or lies to make a point.

The post was made to dismiss a lot of errorneous claim made in that thread. I am not like typical snob owners such as you and hell on harley, that simply treat MB as a god that can't be criticized. Feel so important and so much status in driving a mercedes that all other manuf are pieces of dirt that deserve no mention.

I don't care if this is MB forum. Different voices have to be heard as long as the comment are truthful. A forum and a manuf would be better if there are many different voice that pushes for a change. So you and other snob would become a MB police by telling other people who disagree to shut up. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN **** AND YOU? NOTHING. IT'S YOUR WAY OR SHUT UP.

If any car manuf. continuous to live in a shell, it will be replaced and become outdated. Just look at how much bad press MB has been getting and in some extent it has driven mercedes to begin to turn a corner.

You and other snobs has not come back with a valid rebuttal based on fact or opinion. IMHO, none of you are better than a **** in disguise.

I have said many times, MB owners are probably have the most snob attitude out there. All the claim about BMW owners are snob are in no way come close to the typicl snob post made here.

This is a car. A man made product. It's not perfect and it never will be. I find is so amusing that several snobs here would treat it like a god's gift from heaven that can't be criticized. Take a look in the mirror, see what kind of snob you are, then learn how to accept the fact that there are better alternate choice out there. If you prefer mercedes badge, and will blindly follow it. Fine by me. But not all people think like a lemming that would mindless follow the leader into sea and drown.
Your comments speak for themselves: calling me a snob, comparing me to a ****, saying I think like a lemming. Really discriminating use of the English language there, moron.

Hey, I got it - you sound like one of those pro-Kerry liberal Democrats I've learned to ignore on cable news... so ignore you I will
Old 03-11-2005, 05:58 PM

04 E55
Your comments speak for themselves: calling me a snob, comparing me to a ****, saying I think like a lemming. Really discriminating use of the English language there, moron.

Hey, I got it - you sound like one of those pro-Kerry liberal Democrats I've learned to ignore on cable news... so ignore you I will
I have said it many times, if you start the flame 1st, i will flame back. Simple as that.

Had you offered a valid rebuttal instead of flame, this discussion would not have come to this level.

My comments about you will stand. Because your action in the 1st place proved as such. " Posting a pro-lexus comment is to **** people off"? hmm, you are indeed censoring right? Come on admit your action were nothing like a ****. At least, I would have respect for you to admit such behavior.

Pro-kerry liberal? I am pro-bush conservative. Except, unlike Bush I will state the truth and expect nothing in return other than truth.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:06 PM

Mercedes Benz
You got to admit, that statement is funny.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:12 PM

Tesla
This thread started out good. But now...

These personal attacks are completely

Please lets get back to talking about cars...
Old 03-11-2005, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500

Yes.... You have said it all and have proven my point at the same time.... I will shut-up now.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:07 PM

2004 E500
I have said it many times, if you start the flame 1st, i will flame back. Simple as that.

Had you offered a valid rebuttal instead of flame, this discussion would not have come to this level.

My comments about you will stand. Because your action in the 1st place proved as such. " Posting a pro-lexus comment is to **** people off"? hmm, you are indeed censoring right? Come on admit your action were nothing like a ****. At least, I would have respect for you to admit such behavior.

Pro-kerry liberal? I am pro-bush conservative. Except, unlike Bush I will state the truth and expect nothing in return other than truth.
So you call me a **** because I unveiled your intentions to just get a reaction?!? And then you suggest that I am censoring you by suggesting this?!? Yeah, that's certainly conservative ideology

You have a perverted sense of reality, man.

And to set the record straight, I only flamed you when I called you a moron after you baited me by calling me Einstein... but then using the logic of the great KK that statement is "just the facts", as you often claim when attempting to defend your indefensible positions.

I'm done with this thread, as I think most others are
Old 03-11-2005, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
An appology...

I want to appologize to all my friends here in this forum for the way this thread has deteriorated... I've been here a while and most people that know me know I'm a good boy (most of the time) :v , but Krispy really gets under my skin. Like probably alot of you, I travel around this wonderful website to different forums to read about the cars we love. During my travels I could'nt help but notice that most all the threads this person is in deteriorates in to flame threads like this one has.... As a visiter in the other forums (e55, etc) I've read many off the wall comments by this person, but was able to laugh about them and simply leave to come back to the W211 forum (sanity)...

Well to see this person to come here and start his rhetoric BS really burned me up... I know I shouldn't take offense, but couldn't help myself. I almost felt violated . This forum for the most part is very well behaved and I rarely see threads like this one and I only feel I helped to contribute to the BS by responding to the pure troll like comments.... So again, I appoligize to my fellow w211 owners.

Yes, I mello out after a few beers.....Nuff said....

Last edited by HELL ONA HARLEY; 03-11-2005 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Wow, so detailed and good review just after a test drive. I wouldn't write and half after a year everyday driving both cars. It's pity that you do not work for car magazines, otherwise we get honest details review much faster.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:23 PM

Mercedes all the way!
it's very simple...

After reading this test drive report, I can't say I agree with all points, but thank you for a very thorough review. I don't think the W211 needs God's help though, they seem to be selling rather well

I think at the end of the day it's really simple. Would you own a Patek or a Timex? The Timex is tough, has a screen that tells you the exact time down to the closest millisecond (OK, maybe not), can tell you the date and time and only needs servicing once every 4 years to change the battery -- which costs maybe $10. The Patek might not be so accurate and when something goes wrong, it's gonna cost you an arm and a leg, but it is a work of art, it is beautiful, it is designed with care (look at those tiny mechanical parts!).

You might never realise it's running slower by a second every month until you have the Timex, which will theoretically go on forever and ever. But when you do, do you feel a pang of regret for having a Patek? How much functionality are you willing to trade for artistry? That is the question...

Of course, Mercedes has their work cut out for them for the upcoming E-class facelift (and the W212? Can't wait for that!), because cars are not as different, fundamentally, as a Timex from a Patek. The E-class blew the previous 5 away, whereas the competition is much closer now with so many manufacturers crowding in. May the games begin! At the end of the day, its the consumer's, us (unless some car industry bigwig is in this forum ), who benefit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GS testdrive report