E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Wheel shaking @ 55-60mph is normal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Angry Wheel shaking @ 55-60mph is normal?

Are you all noting a shaking at 55-60mph?

I took mine in to the dealership and the Shop Foreman rode with me and acknowledged the shake.

Then, I return to pick up the car and he claims that they re-drove the car and determined that the shaking is "normal for this model".

WOW!!
Old 03-10-2005, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
NO! it is not normal at all.

Steve
Old 03-10-2005, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 320 CDI
Cetainly not normal, get it sorted under warranty as soon as possible. Probably the wheels need balancing.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL55, 2005 E500 Wagon
Most probable causes in a new car

1) Unbalanced tires (check static and dynamic balance)
2) Non-uniform tires (measure tire force against roller on high-end balancing machine)
3) Out-of-round wheel (test is the same as 2, but replacing tire won't fix it)

Did the car once run right? If so, look for weight that fell off. Did you hit a curb?

As the other poster said, this is abnormal. Get it fixed.

Jim
Old 03-10-2005, 12:48 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Also check for rocks in the tires..
Old 03-10-2005, 12:52 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by jangy
Are you all noting a shaking at 55-60mph?

I took mine in to the dealership and the Shop Foreman rode with me and acknowledged the shake.

Then, I return to pick up the car and he claims that they re-drove the car and determined that the shaking is "normal for this model".

WOW!!
probably the tire is out of balance. Typical for rear drive cars after a while. Just need to rotate and rebalance the tires. No biggie.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:09 PM

none
Mine had a MINOR shake first then in the morning... after 10 minutes of driving it went away.. Mine was just cold tires..
Old 03-10-2005, 04:52 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
Never normal. Check that repair technician's credentials because he's
Old 03-10-2005, 04:55 PM

Tesla
I just brought my car (800 miles) to the dealer this morning for this exact same problem. It has been vibrating since day 1.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Are you all noting a shaking at 55-60mph? I took mine in to the dealership and the Shop Foreman rode with me and acknowledged the shake. Then, I return to pick up the car and he claims that they re-drove the car and determined that the shaking is "normal for this model".
What is up with these dealers? How can they throw out such garbage and expect anyone to believe them - a shop foreman no less! No of course this is not normal, request that the service director drives the car with you as a passenger to see if he thinks it’s normal. When this guy told you he was the shop foreman, did he have an old broom in his hand and a dust rag sticking out of his pocket?
Old 03-10-2005, 06:16 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by steph280
I just brought my car (800 miles) to the dealer this morning for this exact same problem. It has been vibrating since day 1.
If this is a new car, then check the alignment and tire balance.

All my car upon leaving the dealer the alignment were off and tires have to be rebalance.

The situation was resolved. It has returned on the E500 (since is has the most miles right now- just pasted 16k today).

Prior experience on the BMW, the minor shaking would go away with simple tire rotation and balance. Due to the way the tires are mounted, the tires on most german RWD does not wear evenly. Hence, shaking will occur after a long period of driving.

That's why unless the shaking is severe. This is a fairly normal events and should not be something that is problematic.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:30 PM

I had a similar problem, but it was because of the snow that got onto my rims.

1st snow day this year I still had my summer tires (low pros) on my 19 inch summer rims, I was too lazy to change them. Snow was on the rims and the care was shaking like crazy on the highway even though the highway itself was clear of snow. Turned out the snow on the rims put the whole darn thing out of balance.

Once the snow got melted/cleared off, everything was fine.

if thats not the case, its probably what one of the other members suggested above.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:27 AM

I think you may be experiencing the same thing as what we have on our E-class. Initially our car was also pulling to the left but after balancing and allignment it tracks straight now...the steering still shakes however...not all the time but sometimes. At other times it feels like the shaking is coming through the suspension. Obviously our MB technician didnt notice a thing...everything is meant to be normal Im planning on insisting on a test drive in another similarly specified vehicle so i can be sure for myself that the shaking is not normal and then insist they do somthing about it.

Please let us know if they figure out what the problem is...we've already had the car balanced and alligned several times.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Angry

Thanks everyone. Does anyone know of a reputable facility that can verify that the balance of the wheels is within specifications while on the car? I am getting frustrated with this dealer and am truly considering a law suit. They are treating me like a thug treats a shop owner and I'm sick of it. If this is normal, then Mercedes Benz cars flat out suck!
Old 03-11-2005, 01:42 AM

2004 SL55, 2005 E500 Wagon
Does anyone know of a reputable facility that can verify that the balance of the wheels is within specifications while on the car?
I don't, and I dont think there are any such facilities. The wheels need to be removed from the car for the testing, for all the machines that I know of. Sure, there are the quick and dirty spin-the-wheel-while-on-the-car-and-see-if-it-vibrates operations, but they can't measure vertical force accurately, and they can't tell you to take the tire off the rim, turn it 120 degrees and remount it, because it's likely that the wheel is out of round and the tire is nonuniform, and if you get the forces generated by the tire and those by the wheel opposed, you may get a good ride.

You never mentioned whether this problem just cropped up, or whether it has been there since the initial delivery of the car. That is important information for the diagnosis of your problem. Can you be forthcoming in this regard?

Jim
Old 03-11-2005, 01:46 AM

11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
My 02 BMW 530i does the same thing at 55-60. I took it in for service and they rotated, balanced and aligned, 10k miles later problem persisted, they showed me the that tires were wearing inside and were "cupped". Got new tires, balanced and aligned and car steering wheel still shakes although a little less than before. As I said this is mostly at 55-60, but sometimes a slight vibration/shaking at other speeds. Very frustrating. I hope one of you figures out so I can clue my BMW dealer in too. *problem started at about 24k and now car has 34k

Last edited by sacguy; 03-11-2005 at 01:48 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
It has been mentioned, but any major shaking that is consistent at speed is not normal for any new car. The cold weather can certainly cause it due to water leakage in to the tires, but that should go away after driving for some time.

Check the following site to find a Hunter GSP9700 balancer in your area (and to verify that your MB dealer has this eqiupment, or just ask them straight out). Considered to be the best balancer in the business, and really should be all that is necessary to make your car shake free.

http://128.242.141.111/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm
Old 03-11-2005, 01:10 PM

04 E55
Thanks everyone. Does anyone know of a reputable facility that can verify that the balance of the wheels is within specifications while on the car? I am getting frustrated with this dealer and am truly considering a law suit. They are treating me like a thug treats a shop owner and I'm sick of it. If this is normal, then Mercedes Benz cars flat out suck!
Ask your dealer to give you a print out of the tires setting. All MB dealer should have a machine (forgot what is the model and brand), that would pin point the exact alightment/balance issue with the tires and suspension settings.

I had print out made out by the dealer on each of the car to verify that alignment/balance were indeed off. It also shows before and after readings. (I forgot what is called, i will see if i can find it in the car).

If they really had put it on the machine, that read out should be in the computer. Insist that they do a check on it and provide the read out. If they fail to comply and call MBUSA to raise hell.

MBUSA unlike BMWNA is very pleasant to deal with and will go out of their way to help you get the problem resolved. Give them a call.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:15 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by sacguy
My 02 BMW 530i does the same thing at 55-60. I took it in for service and they rotated, balanced and aligned, 10k miles later problem persisted, they showed me the that tires were wearing inside and were "cupped". Got new tires, balanced and aligned and car steering wheel still shakes although a little less than before. As I said this is mostly at 55-60, but sometimes a slight vibration/shaking at other speeds. Very frustrating. I hope one of you figures out so I can clue my BMW dealer in too. *problem started at about 24k and now car has 34k
I had this problem on the 01 530i, although my was taken care of after simple tire balance and rotation.

There are two other things you can check.

1. Control arm. The E39 suspension is made of light weight aluminum and has tendency to deform/break (especially the rear) after a long period of use or heavy use on bad road. So this might cause vibration. (BTW, this is a known problem area with E39).

2. Check the wheel is self to see if the construction is off.

BTW, have you isolated the vibration is from the front or the rear? You should be able to tell a difference.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:13 PM

Tesla
Just an update on my car. Got it back yesterday and work statement said rotate/balanced all tires. Vibration is now completely gone.

It took them all day to do this though, probably too many cars in at the same time. Since their policy is no loaner car if work can be done in 3 hours, I was going to take the shuttle. But the shuttle wouldn't take me because I am outside the coverage area. So they actually called a cab for me and paid the $100 round trip fare. Surely a loaner car wouldn't cost them $100 a day! Smart, very smart.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:28 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by steph280
Just an update on my car. Got it back yesterday and work statement said rotate/balanced all tires. Vibration is now completely gone.

It took them all day to do this though, probably too many cars in at the same time. Since their policy is no loaner car if work can be done in 3 hours, I was going to take the shuttle. But the shuttle wouldn't take me because I am outside the coverage area. So they actually called a cab for me and paid the $100 round trip fare. Surely a loaner car wouldn't cost them $100 a day! Smart, very smart.
You really have to appreciate mercedes service.

BMW would probably go ask you to go to hell 1st.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Actually, my dealer decided it was normal by driving it again. They never gave me any type of computer print out on the balancing. They did on the alignment and it was off in many specs. Does anyone have more info or better contact info from MBUSA. I have contacted them and they just hide behind the local service manager, who blew me off. At this stage, it looks like I will be going to court. They have taken a pretty rude stance with me, and it is even reflected in the notes that they are documenting. My only recourse has been to ask passengers with me to write a statement and have it notarized for use in court. Man, i am so pissed I bought from this dealer. The car could be great, but now it has 12K miles on it and I already hate it just because of how they have treated me!