I'm back!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK, CLK, GL, C2S
I'm back!!

Hi All,
I feel like a newbie. After selling my CLK 500 for a 911, I've decided to get an E-wagon as a new addition.

My wife an I are expecting our first baby so its time to get a car with more room.

We thought about an SUV or a mini-van. Frankly, I'm not old enough for a mini-van and if you've ever seen my wife drive, you'll know why we can't own a big SUV.

The wagon fits us perfectly. Not too big, but big enough to fit 4 adults, a baby and a little nephew and niece.

Now for the fun part. What are your thoughs on the wagon.

Here are my options:

- Used low mileage 2002 (or older) E320 wagon

- New 2004 E320 wagon that the dealer wants go get rid of ($48,000). Comes with keyless go, appearance package, and bose stereo.

- New 2006 E350 wagon (msrp is $55,000 but sales rep said that he can deal...not sure what kind of deal though)

My concern in getting a new car is that it needs to be parked outside. We next to the water and the dew gets pretty heavy in the mornings. Worried about the salt and all the friggin birds crapping on the cars parked outside. It would hurt a lot to see a beautiful virgin car covered n bird crap.

As you can see, I'm all over the place. If I go used, I would rather spend no more than $25,000. However, I would be willing to go new if I get a smoking deal.

Any one know of any deals out there?

My color preference is Pewter exterior and Charcol interior. Don't really care about options except the airmatic suspension would be nice.

Mel
Old 03-26-2005, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by MBZ4LIFE
Hi All,
I feel like a newbie. After selling my CLK 500 for a 911, I've decided to get an E-wagon as a new addition.

My wife an I are expecting our first baby so its time to get a car with more room.

We thought about an SUV or a mini-van. Frankly, I'm not old enough for a mini-van and if you've ever seen my wife drive, you'll know why we can't own a big SUV.

The wagon fits us perfectly. Not too big, but big enough to fit 4 adults, a baby and a little nephew and niece.

Now for the fun part. What are your thoughs on the wagon.

Here are my options:

- Used low mileage 2002 (or older) E320 wagon

- New 2004 E320 wagon that the dealer wants go get rid of ($48,000). Comes with keyless go, appearance package, and bose stereo.

- New 2006 E350 wagon (msrp is $55,000 but sales rep said that he can deal...not sure what kind of deal though)

My concern in getting a new car is that it needs to be parked outside. We next to the water and the dew gets pretty heavy in the mornings. Worried about the salt and all the friggin birds crapping on the cars parked outside. It would hurt a lot to see a beautiful virgin car covered n bird crap.

As you can see, I'm all over the place. If I go used, I would rather spend no more than $25,000. However, I would be willing to go new if I get a smoking deal.

Any one know of any deals out there?

My color preference is Pewter exterior and Charcol interior. Don't really care about options except the airmatic suspension would be nice.

Mel
I would go with the 2004 at $48,000 and maybe you can get him down a little more. That is a good price for a new wagon depending on the extras.

I almost ordered the 2006 with the 350 engine and 7 speed tranny but at the last minute decided to go with the new R Class due this fall. Base price will be under $50,000 but options I am sure will up that figure. You can see pictures by clicking on the URL's in my signature.

As far as used, I can't remember exactly but MB did not have the wagon in the US for a few years before the 2004 model was released here. So you would be looking at a late 1990's model year.

I would check out all the SoCal dealers and see if you can find the best deal on a 2004/5 or 6 and take the best one you can negotiate. You can also get hyped on the new R Class like I did and wait for that to arrive. I owned 3 MB's wagons and always wanted a SUV but could not stand the style of them. The R has the features of both and that convinced me. It is called a minivan by some and I agree but it looks like no other minivan made in my opinion.

Good luck on your selection and you cannot go wrong on the year...MB's makes the best looking wagon made anywhere.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
The wagon's a nice looking car, but truth be told a minivan is much more practical once you have a kid. My buddy thanks me every day for talking him out of a wagon.

A wagon is basically a car with the trunk lid raised to roof height. There is no comparison between the two types of vehicles in getting junior & all his paraphanalia in & out of the vehicle while standing comfortably outside the van, in an upright position, not crouched with your knee on the edge of the seat, fumbling with the thousand or so clips and straps on an infant seat. Access is incomperable with a minivan. Walking through to the rear while in motion to open juniors jacket, or adjusting his clothes, or picking up a dropped toy is awesome! Dude, they're not sexy, sporty, fast, or eye-catching, but the minute you bring a baby home those days are over, and for at least the next 13 years priorities change.

Trust me, the 1st time you throw "Aladdin" into the DVD/Tape player, and the pride of your loins shuts up & watches uninteruptedly for the duration of the drive, you will praise the heavens! Your biggest problem will be that he doesn't want to leave the mini van when you get to Grandmas house.

Why not wait until the little dude comes home, & begins to go out with you. Rent a mini van for a weekend & see how easy they are to USE, & how parent friendly they are.

Like I said, they'renot beautiful, but oh how functional they are here in the States, with all the crap we buy for our Babies! People haven't bought them in such tremendous numbers for their beauty, sportiness, or "Chick-Magnet" looks, you know!

Oh yeah, all the nice stuff you are so proud of in your house? What the kids don't damage, will be sticky to the touch, but it will be OK with you!

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 03-26-2005 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:09 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
A wagon is basically a car with the trunk lid raised to roof height. There is no comparison between the two types of vehicles in getting junior & all his paraphanalia in & out of the vehicle while standing comfortably outside the van, in an upright position, not crouched with your knee on the edge of the seat, fumbling with the thousand or so clips and straps on an infant seat. Access is incomperable with a minivan. Walking through to the rear while in motion to open juniors jacket, or adjusting his clothes, or picking up a dropped toy is awesome! Dude, they're not sexy, sporty, fast, or eye-catching, but the minute you bring a baby home those days are over, and for at least the next 13 years priorities change.

Trust me, the 1st time you throw "Aladdin" into the DVD/Tape player, and the pride of your loins shuts up & watches uninteruptedly for the duration of the drive, you will praise the heavens! Your biggest problem will be that he doesn't want to leave the mini van when you get to Grandmas house.

Why not wait until the little dude comes home, & begins to go out with you. Rent a mini van for a weekend & see how easy they are to USE, & how parent friendly they are.

Like I said, not beautiful, but oh how functional they are here in the States with all the crap we buy for our Babies! People haven't bought them for their beauty, sportiness, or "Chick-Magnet" looks, you know!

Oh yeah, all the nice stuff you are so proud of in your house? What the kids don't damage, will be sticky to the touch, but it will be OK with you!

Very well said. You hit it on the nail.

My kiddo grew up in my Odyssey minivan and now I don't have it, she tells me that she misses it.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:17 PM

GLK, CLK, GL, C2S
Thanks for all the great advice

The R Class does look nice, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to brave a new model. When the MLs first came out, I heard there was a nightmare of problems. I've never liked the ML. I found it sits too high for it's size and it looks too boxy.

The minivan is practical, but this car will be mainly driven by my parents and my wife. Unfortunately, none are capable to drive a minivan.

However, I think I'll drag my wife out to the honda dealeship. Ya never know...she might like driving the odyssey. It's actually quite funny. The word odyssey translated to chinese sounds very close to "take a *****".

Regards,
Mel
Old 03-26-2005, 12:47 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
The R Class does look nice, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to brave a new model. When the MLs first came out, I heard there was a nightmare of problems. I've never liked the ML. I found it sits too high for it's size and it looks too boxy.

The minivan is practical, but this car will be mainly driven by my parents and my wife. Unfortunately, none are capable to drive a minivan.

However, I think I'll drag my wife out to the honda dealeship. Ya never know...she might like driving the odyssey. It's actually quite funny. The word odyssey translated to chinese sounds very close to "take a *****".

Regards,
Mel
I like the look of the R class. I'll let her bake awhile before considering it. (considering my first model year '03 w211 and '05 R171 have not been too kind to me)

On the note of "capable to drive a minivan", that's what I said about my wife but when I had the Ody, after getting used to it, my wife actually drove it so agressively that I thought she was driving her BMW. That box on wheels really haul a$$ on the road.

Maybe someday I get one again as after test driving the newly redesigned Ody ... WOW it really handles well...

Last edited by GearHead; 03-26-2005 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
ANYBODY can drive a minivan. They are car sized, just taller. They drive & handle just like a "regular" car (not a sporty car, a regular car). They require no mor effort to controll. Visibility is excellent, the car ends right where you expect it to. Get what you need, not what you want this time. Everyone will get used to it. (And if you ding/dent it, they're cheap & easy to fix because there are a million of them on the road & LKQ parts abound!)
Old 03-26-2005, 05:40 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Get the new E500.. You will have it all, a family car with power.. A perfect match. Plus you will get it exactly the way you want it. If it isn't, then You can deal for more of a discount.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:55 PM

GLK, CLK, GL, C2S
my research...

Here's my research from Consumer Reports.

2005 Odyssey (Touring w/ DVD RES and Nav)
- MSRP (w/ destination charge) $39,010
- Dealer Invoice $35,138
- Wholesale Price (after $1,155 Dealer Holdback) $33,983
I've called around and no one is willing to go below MSRP.

2006 E350
- MSRP (w/ destination charge) $53,020
- Dealer Invoice $49,359
- Wholesale Price (after $1,155 Dealer Holdback) $47,790

My head (and bank account) says Odyssey, but my heart says E350.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:10 PM

GLK, CLK, GL, C2S
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
ANYBODY can drive a minivan....Get what you need, not what you want this time
I know you're right but it just hurts to hear the truth.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:44 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
I know you're right but it just hurts to hear the truth.
But look at the bright side, you still have your toys even if you get the practical one.

If the need arises and I go for the new Ody, I'll not be sacrificing my SLK and I bet my wife will definitely not give up her X5.

p.s. Since you live in Southern California, try the dealers around San Gabriel valley. I recalled some of them advertising discounts on their Odys
Old 03-27-2005, 01:59 AM

GLK, CLK, GL, C2S
San Gabriel

Took my wife to Norm Reeves Honda for a test drive tonight. She was pretty good with the car...until the the salesman told her to pull over, she almost rubbed the curb!

Couldn't stand the salesmen there though. We had two guys working us. After the test drive they sat us down, asked for my license and began writing up the sales receipt. When I kindly informed them that I was not ready to buy, their reply was "no problem, can I run a credit check on you?" What the F@#$.

Thanks for the tip about the SG dealerships. My wife's medical practices are up in San Gabriel. I'll give the local SG dealers a ring. Does anyone know of any sales reps I can talk to?

If you ever go to Fletcher Jones, ask for Roy Lopez (he's an ex-CEC wheels guy). He's really cool. No pressure or any cheezy sales tactics.

Mel