E270 CDI Test Drive Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mecedes E-Class
E270 CDI Test Drive Impressions

Hello

I have been reading posts here for a while because my parents are going to purchase an E-Class sometime this year. We currently have a 1992 230E. Well last week we had to go on a trip to visit relatives on the Friday and decided to try and get an E-Class to try out. My Dad contacted our local dealer but they said we could only have the car for a couple of hours when really we wanted one for a couple of days. So after much phoning around we ended up renting one from a company called Guy Salmon, they could not guarantee a specific engine but we went for it anyway.

So on Friday morning we went and picked it up from a national car rental place just down the road. The E-Class was a Late 2004 E270 CDI Elegance with CD Changer, Leather and Parktronic. It was that gold colour outside and had dark grey leather inside. The guy who went through the controls didn’t have a clue told my dad the headlight washer button was for the foglight. Luckily the manual was in the glove box so I read pretty much the whole thing.

Anyway the trip we went on was mostly motorways the car is a lot smoother and more composed than our current car obviously and it was a lot more powerful as well as quiet. My dad loved the power delivery and we where going along at 70-100 the whole time the car was just planted and the brakes where amazing not grabby like the early cars just natural. Also when travelling at high speeds it feels as if you are going so much slower say your ding 90 it feels like 60.
The engine was also really quite the only time you hear it is when it gives of kind of a faint growl just as you accelerate just before the turbo gets going I guess. On some country roads just before we got to get where we where going we where overtaking other cars like two or three at a time just because the car just gets going on the huge torque. Yet when overtaking it’s not strained it just feels completely natural and calm.

Well the best bit in my opinion was the Interior it is just spot on. The mix of the leather, which smelt great and wood, is brilliant and the attention to detail is just unbelievable. Stuff like the rear multifunctional armrest, ashtrays in the doors with there chrome detailing, the tasteful touches chrome all over the place as well as the ambient lighting and CD changer. I also like that you can adjust everything to suite you and the seats are very comfortable as well as not giving me backache even though I’m 6ft2. The stereo and climate control also just do their jobs brilliantly and the standard stereos quality is rather good also very clear I thought.
I was also impressed with the build quality it felt solid all trim grain and colour match perfectly and felt great to the touch as well as all the switches and buttons working with a nice dampened fell. There was not one single creak or rattle from anything the hole time even on the roads we have here in the UK.

Overall me and my dad where really impressed the car exceeded my expectations as well as his we just have to convince my mum now she wants a c-class thinks e-class is to big. Sorry to write so much was just really impressed and though I would share positive experience. By the way now hoping to get E270 CDI Advantgarde in Tealite Blue with dark grey interior like to hear thoughts.

King regards
Sam
Old 04-01-2005, 05:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
Your Mum will alway thinks it's too big if she is that way minded. It's unlikely she'll get used to it. Tell your Dad just to buy it an make sure he gets parktronic. He will not be disappointed.

Thanks for your review.