E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E series Rear Seat Package/What's Best for Dogs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E series Rear Seat Package/What's Best for Dogs?

As you can see from all of my posts today I am trying to decide between the e350 4matic sedan or wagon.I have a 35 pound dog who tends to move around (even with his seatbelt).
I'd like a sporty looking car and don't want to look like a soccer mom (not that that is a bad thing, it's just not my image

My question is, with the rear seat package do the seats fold back perfectly flat? If so could i lay down a cargo mat?
if not, is there a space where the dog could potentially get caught & hurt himself?

Thanks again for your help
Old 04-18-2005, 01:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
Originally Posted by gadgetgirl
My question is, with the rear seat package do the seats fold back perfectly flat? If so could i lay down a cargo mat?
if not, is there a space where the dog could potentially get caught & hurt himself?
The seat (either left, right or both) folds flat and the trunk is, of course, finished.

You may want to check here:

http://www.caninecovers.com/

especially for the door protectors to cove the wood trim. Good lucK!
Old 04-18-2005, 01:35 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
I have a Mercedes rear seat cover that is fabric on one side and vinyl on the other so liquid can't get through. I have never used it and it is still in the box. I could sell it to you if you'd like - if you or anyone wants it PM me.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:45 PM

thanks for the link. good stuff.

QUOTE=TPAbnz]The seat (either left, right or both) folds flat and the trunk is, of course, finished.

You may want to check here:

http://www.caninecovers.com/

especially for the door protectors to cove the wood trim. Good lucK![/QUOTE]
Old 04-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E500
I have an E500 sedan with the rear seat package, and it works awesome for my dog, a 90 lb Lab. The seats fold perfectly flat (unlike the other cars i have owned), and the dog sits up high, which he likes. He also has plenty of room to lay down. Also, you can fold one seat down and leave the other up, and that works great for hauling both kids and canines at teh same time!
Old 04-18-2005, 05:24 PM

thanks for the first hand example. what a lucky dog i have
Originally Posted by hoffyvortex
I have an E500 sedan with the rear seat package, and it works awesome for my dog, a 90 lb Lab. The seats fold perfectly flat (unlike the other cars i have owned), and the dog sits up high, which he likes. He also has plenty of room to lay down. Also, you can fold one seat down and leave the other up, and that works great for hauling both kids and canines at teh same time!
Old 04-18-2005, 10:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Protect those door panels

Beware of damage to wood trim, etc if your dog can get his paws (and claws) on the door panels.

Does he always go with you? Maybe get a cheap second car like a TDI Jetta wagon or real cheap like an old beater Chevy Tahoe for dog trips.

KB
Old 04-19-2005, 04:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Good morning everyone,
I will light the fuse here and stand back. Having a large dog in a saloon car is not the safest, or wisest thing to do. There are seat belts for dogs, but I have no experience, or knowledge of there use, and that might well be the exception to my comments.

We are all responsible for our actions and driving a motor vehicle comes with a lot of responsibilities. There might well be dogs that simply get in to the rear of the car, lay down and not move, then fine, but the majority will sit up, move about, bark, lick their owners, sit on owners laps whilst the owner is driving, have there heads out of the window etc etc. Smaller dogs are not free of blame and should also be restrained and kept well away from the driver.

The only reason we have an estate car is simply because we have a dog. He simply gets in and lays down, folks can approach the car and he will just look at them and certainly would NEVER consider trying to climb over the seats. Our previous dog was more 'protective' and we had a very large, nice roomy cage that filled the rear compartment. It had ample room for the dog to stand, turnaround, sit, or obviously lay down, but he was confined in the rear of the vehicle.

It is a shame that in the US estate cars appear to have an 'image', a further and bigger shame though is that some people actually care about image. I tend to care more about what I like, and what is 'right'.

Sorry to be so contraversial and outspoken.

Take care,
John
Old 04-19-2005, 07:25 AM

Thanks. My dog tends to leap from the back seat into the front even when tethered. yes, it's a training issue, but you all raise good points regarding the potential impact to the inside of the vehicle. i could go with the wagon and solve that issue by putting up a barrier gate.

Originally Posted by glojo
Good morning everyone,
I will light the fuse here and stand back. Having a large dog in a saloon car is not the safest, or wisest thing to do. There are seat belts for dogs, but I have no experience, or knowledge of there use, and that might well be the exception to my comments.

We are all responsible for our actions and driving a motor vehicle comes with a lot of responsibilities. There might well be dogs that simply get in to the rear of the car, lay down and not move, then fine, but the majority will sit up, move about, bark, lick their owners, sit on owners laps whilst the owner is driving, have there heads out of the window etc etc. Smaller dogs are not free of blame and should also be restrained and kept well away from the driver.

The only reason we have an estate car is simply because we have a dog. He simply gets in and lays down, folks can approach the car and he will just look at them and certainly would NEVER consider trying to climb over the seats. Our previous dog was more 'protective' and we had a very large, nice roomy cage that filled the rear compartment. It had ample room for the dog to stand, turnaround, sit, or obviously lay down, but he was confined in the rear of the vehicle.

It is a shame that in the US estate cars appear to have an 'image', a further and bigger shame though is that some people actually care about image. I tend to care more about what I like, and what is 'right'.

Sorry to be so contraversial and outspoken.

Take care,
John
Old 04-19-2005, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by gadgetgirl
Thanks. My dog tends to leap from the back seat into the front even when tethered. yes, it's a training issue, but you all raise good points regarding the potential impact to the inside of the vehicle. i could go with the wagon and solve that issue by putting up a barrier gate.

Hi gadgetgirl,
I hope you don't think I as being too hard. My wife is the sole driver of our estate, and she absolutely loves it (so does the dog )

When we purchased our vehicle I paid extra for the Mercedes-Benz Protection pack (this is a UK option) I think the US has something like Scotchguard???? but others will put me right.

We have a long haired playful German Shepherd that has still to learn how to wipe his feet!!!! After vacuuming, the rear only needs wiping with a damp cloth and it looks as good as new. We also bought the heavy duty rubber insert which is invaluable.

Good luck with your decision,
John