Drive dynamic seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500, 1987 560SL
Drive dynamic seats

I was wondering if anyone else has drive dynamic seats that work intermittenly. Sometimes it is already on when I get in the car, sometimes it is off. Sometimes the side bolsters are working when I turn and then other times it doesn't go at all. I just want to know if these seats are usually problematic.

How about that seat belt sensor on the passenger side? Mine is so sensitive that I can put my cell phone on it and it goes off. I heard the dealer can set it to where it goes off if it is anything over 10 or 11 pounds. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

I am getting ready to bring the car in for that "before 3000 miles" service and I want to bring my SA a list of all the little things wrong with my car and need to sound like I know what I am talking about. He sometimes dismisses me because I am a girl. Thanks.

Last edited by Ggirl; 04-21-2005 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Do you have keyless go? For mine to stay on all the time, I had to have my key on me and my wife's NOT in the car. Set the mirrors, seats and what not the way you want them and turn on the dynamic seats. Then press the memory button and your number of choice. That should set it to your key (I have key dependency switched on). Even without keyless go, I assume you'd have to do the same thing with your key in.

Once I thought something was wrong when I got in and the seats were not on. Then I remembered I had turned them off and, with them off, had rememorized my seat/mirror settings after adjusting the right mirror for backing up. Ta da! The system worked fine. It now left the seat off just the way I had (unintentionally) set it.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:18 PM

2004 SL55, 2005 E500 Wagon
Originally Posted by Ggirl
How about that seat belt sensor on the passenger side? Mine is so sensitive that I can put my cell phone on it and it goes off. I heard the dealer can set it to where it goes off if it is anything over 10 or 11 pounds.
Please let me know if you get this resolved. My wife complains that she can't put her purse on the passenger seat.

Jim
Old 04-20-2005, 11:31 PM

'05 E320, '07 MDX
These are the same issues I've noticed with my car, at 2600 miles. It seems that if I turn on the DD and only use the key to start and stop the engine for trips, then DD usually stays on. But if someone sits in the car while in the garage, and turns on the radio without the key in the ignition, then there's a good chance the DD will not be on the next time I start the engine. I haven't had time to prove this hypothesis though. You may want to try it...or not.
As for the passenger seat belt warning, just the weight of exposure to sunlight seems to trigger the warning. Early next week the car is going to Caliber to review these items. Otherwise no problems. Just wish the stereo would play louder!
Old 05-03-2005, 10:53 PM

Mine do the same thing. My driver's left dd bolster popped, and is on backorder. Service said it was the first dd bladder they'd needed to replace, though I wonder about this...
Old 05-04-2005, 01:00 AM

2004 SL55, 2005 E500 Wagon
Originally Posted by dacbiet
As for the passenger seat belt warning, just the weight of exposure to sunlight seems to trigger the warning.[/i]
Those photons aren't very heavy, but they move really fast.

I was in a radar detector installer's place today talking about an installation on my SL55, and my service advisor happened to wander in from next door. We got to talking, and I asked him about the overly-sensitive passenger weight detectors. He said that MB knew about the problem, and that he expected some new weight sensors to arrive shortly. He also said that he expected them to be retrofittable, and the the retrofit should be covered under warranty.

I'll let everybody know the outcome.

Jim
Old 05-04-2005, 01:53 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 E500, 1987 560SL
Yes, please let me know of the outcome because I just dropped off my car for service today and told my SA about the sensitivity of the seats and he said nothing can be done about it. I hope it is a good outcome so I can print it out to show him later.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
I just dropped my car off for the same thing. Overly sensitive passenger seat and same thing with my DD seats.

I hope the sensor will be here soon as I hear it from my fiancee that she can't even put her purse on the passenger seat without it beeping.

Will post pics soon. Love the "E"
Old 05-05-2005, 06:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
I just put mine in for it after it happened to me. I found the bulletin online.

The operative document is DTB P-B-91.80/85
"Seat Belt Reminder Telltale Light Illuminated and Chime Sounding When Passenger's Seat Not Occupied."

There is a revised weight sensing system (WSS) control module with a weight triggering threshold of 9 kg (20 lbs.) FYI: My service advisor tells me that the revised sensor has already been revised once with a new part number, different from the one in the bulletin.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by Ggirl
I was wondering if anyone else has drive dynamic seats that work intermittenly. Sometimes it is already on when I get in the car, sometimes it is off. Sometimes the side bolsters are working when I turn and then other times it doesn't go at all. I just want to know if these seats are usually problematic.
Had that very same problem. Luckily the dealer listened and done a very thorough job of investigating the problem. The cause was eventually located to a kinked air line.

Unfortunately it is much easier for the dealer to just say there is not a problem.

Good luck,
John

A cool sunny morning in Torquay
Old 05-06-2005, 10:48 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
Originally Posted by pa28pilot
I just put mine in for it after it happened to me. I found the bulletin online.
Where are you finding these online?