E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

DIY : Rattles FIXED. Secrets reveled

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E500
Originally Posted by Brav
I have a few rattles, not bad. Most annoying is the pano roof which is getting progressively worse, especially when they tried to "fix" the minor problem it had before.. It makes a bad pop and crack sound when theres torsional stress on the frame (ie, going over speed bump at an angle).

Thanks for the writeup
My GS has the moonroof rattle, which is very loud. I also fixed it pretty easily, with electrical taped between the metal frame and the rubber roof...rattle is gone. Maybe a similar fix can be made for your roof as well. I'll do a diy for it if my roof rattles. (Hopefully never):v
Old 05-07-2005, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Great thread! Rattles also drive me nuts. It's funny but my E55 seems to be tighter than what I remember both my pre-nav E500 and replacement E500 were. The only thing I have has to do with the seatbelt system. Both sides in the front, where the "anchor" is (not sure if that's the right word), depending on the road surface I get a "buzzing" from both sides. Passenger side is worse. If I lean over and just put a finger on it, it goes away. Dealer removed and fixed, but of course was then worse!
Old 05-07-2005, 02:25 PM

The only time I hear a rattle is when my baby is in the backseat with her toy.

j/k only.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:24 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 e320
Nice info, Thanks. Tthe rattles I hear comes from the vibration of the car when the speed is around 16-21 mph. I noticed it when I was stuck in a 10-30 mph traffic flow. It didn't matter if the car was speeding up or slowing down the rattle/vibration occurs. It could be caused by the engine mount or tires (very loud road noise)? I will have it looked at this month, when it goes in for the 2nd free maintenance.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
Nice write-up with pics!

The only rattle I used to get with our E320 is the passenger side headrest... it's at 24k miles, 04.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:26 PM

2004 E500 4Matic
Originally Posted by Dvinn
Center ac vent rattle :

This one is coming from the top vent, I am not sure it's an ac vent or speaker vent. Apply presure on it and it will squeek, lifting it up shows the top vent have archs that sit on the lower bridge of the vent. This is what's causing the squeeking.
it's actually an AC vent *and* a speaker. There's a clip on each side where you have to stick a small flathead screwdriver and the whole vent panel slides away from the windshield very easily.

My 04 has only one of your squeaks... the driver seat bolster. I asked the dealer to fix it and they said they couldn't replicate the problem, even though it makes the sound every time you sit down.

The only other squeak I have is from the panorama control bar in the middle of the roof... but it only happens when the unibody is twisted as I exit my steep driveway onto the street on cold mornings. maybe some foam would do the trick...
Old 05-19-2005, 05:39 AM

E200 Kompressor
Hopeless Mercedes Service Center in Singapore!!

hi all,

it seems you guys are really fortunate to have dealers/workshops who are willing to attend to your rattling problems.

just sent in my '04 E200k for a musty smelling aircon 2 weeks ago. since then 2 intermittent rattles have developed. 1 is coming from the passenger footwell and the other is coming from the ashtray in the center console. am sure those guys at the workshop must have screwed (or unscrew) up certain parts while working on the a/c.

bought the car in yesterday and was asked a damn stupid question by the service manager : "what make you so sure the noise wasn't there before ??"

i failed to replicate these annoying rattles and was further told : "by diamler chrysler standard, there is no fault unless it can be proven" !! these words have to come from the official mercedes service center in Singapore !!

what would you guys do if you were in my shoes ??