Strange malfunction seen in my 04 E320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Strange malfunction seen in my 04 E320

Anyone ever seen this malfunction in their malfunction screen:

Battery Power convien. Package temporary unavaliable.

I am not sure what this means, from what I can tell, everything else is working except for the auto-telecoping steering wheel and that auto seat adjusting feature when you exit and enter the car.

So I drive it to the dealership, and upon arrival, whala... the problem is GONE....
Not sure what is going on. The tech is checking out the car now, but I figure I should ask around here as well... as most people are quite good here

Old 05-19-2005, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Never had that error message, but periodically, the auto-tilt feature does not work (on the entry side, going back down). I have to manually bring it down or hit my mem-1 button.. Seems to be random when this happens.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Here is my theory:

For years, Mercedes cars will shut off convenience electronics if there is not enough battery power. Even in my 190E, it would not run the heated mirrors, and heated seats or the rear window defogger if the battery was weak or the alternator is not charging sufficiently.

On the older Benzes the rear window defogger light would not stay on (it would blink) until the charging system would be OK, then it would stop blinking and stay on. This stuff only happened to me when my battery was around 5 years old and was about to expire. It was a sure-fire way to know that you better buy a new battery soon. So far, my W211 has never given me any error messages (knock on wood!!).

It could be that your convenience entry is not being activated because the system thinks that there is not enough battery power to run it when you first get in the car. However, I would also think that you might get an SBC error too. However, I think that the SBC error will go away once your alternator starts charging.

I would be willing to bet you either have a bad battery, maybe a faulty voltage regulator or alternator. You could also have a bad voltage sensor or battery control module. Tell us what the dealer says.

Steve
Old 05-19-2005, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
Originally Posted by sor_sor_mouse
Anyone ever seen this malfunction in their malfunction screen:

Battery Power convien. Package temporary unavaliable.

I am not sure what this means, from what I can tell, everything else is working except for the auto-telecoping steering wheel and that auto seat adjusting feature when you exit and enter the car.

So I drive it to the dealership, and upon arrival, whala... the problem is GONE....
Not sure what is going on. The tech is checking out the car now, but I figure I should ask around here as well... as most people are quite good here

you battery is running out of juice. You might want to ask dealer to see if there is a power drain somewhere.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:22 PM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
Check your battery electrolyte level. This sounds like the beginnings of a dying battery, which shouldn't happen in a year-old car.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
I've seen this before. Your battery is just a little below full capacity. You need to drive around for about 5 minutes and it will be OK. Did you leave the CD playing for a while whilst you were detailing the car or something?
Old 05-19-2005, 10:22 PM

E320
Originally Posted by Fastbuck
I've seen this before. Your battery is just a little below full capacity. You need to drive around for about 5 minutes and it will be OK. Did you leave the CD playing for a while whilst you were detailing the car or something?
Hi all,

thanks for your reponses. So its definitely a battery problem. There two theory to this case right now: 1 is that there is a baterry controller that controls the battery and I have some old software... Some e class's been having some battery problems with the old software.... so a new battery is out in, and also the software is update. Theory 2: I've been having some strange audio Gateway problems due to a old AG system. I got strange shutdowns, and sometimes it will not shut off. Its possible that eventhough the command seen to be off, the Gateway could hang and not shutdown properly, therefore draining the power. That AG is also being replaced.

If I got lucky, replacing these two thingss and updating my all the firmwares should solve the problem.

I won't get my car back til tomorrow, but I'll keep you guys posted.

-Chuck