E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Those with airmatic and sensor lowering method..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Those with airmatic and sensor lowering method..

Have you noticed that your suspension actually feels softer?

Little bumps and things dont change ("spring" rate) but the dampening seems less. I guess this is due to the fact that the MB computer thinks the car is higher and is not compensating for the extra dampening needed. I know the car is lower, but even on Sport 2, it acn easily come down off a speed bump and bottom out (hit the bump stops).

I am wondering if an actual lowering module or Star Diagnosis method would provide a different feel for the same lowering.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Some of our customers (a significant number) have actually reported an increase in the firmness of the suspension after lowering with DAS. Although I was at first skeptical and attributed it to some sort of placebo effect, a few of the drivers familiar with tracking their cars were amongst those that made similar reports. They also had some reasoning as to why it was firmer; similar to your idea of less dampening at a greater height.

-s-
Old 05-21-2005, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E500
Originally Posted by Brav
Have you noticed that your suspension actually feels softer?

Little bumps and things dont change ("spring" rate) but the dampening seems less. I guess this is due to the fact that the MB computer thinks the car is higher and is not compensating for the extra dampening needed. I know the car is lower, but even on Sport 2, it acn easily come down off a speed bump and bottom out (hit the bump stops).

I am wondering if an actual lowering module or Star Diagnosis method would provide a different feel for the same lowering.
YES! When I lowered mine via the sensor, for the total of 3 days, the first thing I felt was how "comfortable" the car became...well, after feeling impressed with the looks first . At first I actually liked how smooth it became and wanted to keep it that way but sense tells me that something is wrong, while I haven't bottom out at speed bumps per you described but the shocks did felt softer/comfortable. You might be right as to DC is compensating for the "tricked" higher ride height by softening the shock pressure. My initial thought was DC struts is not sitting correctly with the car being so low, on a spring lowered car you'll get a bouncy feeling if they are not able to fully extend and compress in the normal position or worn out but since our E equiped with airbags this feeling translates into a comfortable feel. So I ended up raising mine back to stock height and drive around feeling rough.

Last edited by Dvinn; 05-21-2005 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:53 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E500
Brav,

I just had my E500 lowered by MBenzNL yesterday, using stardiagnose. (Dean did a great job and was very helpful.) I noticed that it actually feels slightly firmer after lowering. It also seems to have less body roll (I am not sure if that is because of the firmness, or simply the lower center of gravity, but I like it.) I also noticed that selecting the raise function makes the ride slightly softer (I had not noticed this before lowering). My speculation based on driving impressions is that the "spring rate" is non linear and changes slightly with position. As I was leaving yesterday, I noticed a car that looked similar to the pic in your sig - was that you?