E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Contitouringcontacts - Flat Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contitouringcontacts - Flat Tires

There is clearly a problem with the Continental Contitouringcontact tires. I have a 2005 Mercedes E500 4Matic and have had four (4) falt tires since January, 2005 after driving over minor ridges in the road. Fortunately I was driving at low speeeds when the tires went flat.

I know of two other people who own the same vehicle and they have each had a blowout too. My sister owns a BMW 530i which has a different size tire than the E500 and she has had two blowouts. I also spoke to Luke at the Tirerack and he has had several complaints about the Contitouringcontacts. It is my opinion that THHSE TIRES ARE NOT SAFE!!!

I contacted Continental Tire consumer affairs and they initially said that there was nothing that they could do for me. After much discusssion that had me bring the most recent flat tire to National Tire and Battery (NTB). The manager at NTB determined that the sidewalls were to soft and that was what was causing the problems. We compared the sidewall from the Contitouringcontact with tires from other manufacturers and the Continental tire clearly had a much soft sidewall that one could indent by applying light pressure with a finger. The NTB manager re-contacted Continental and they agreed to replace one of the tires at no cost. I told a Comntinental supervisor that I had no confidence in these tires and requested an alternative. Continental is discontinuing the Contitouring contact and it is being replaced with the Contiprocontact which has a much stiffer sidewall and can support more weight. After much haggling with the Continental supervisor, he agreed to replace all four tires with the Contirocontacts if I paid for two of them. I told him that I did not think it was fair that I should have to pay for the tires (at retail cost no less!), but he would not agreee to pay for all four. Thus, I am stuck paying for two of the tires.

Today, I contacted the National Highway Safety Administration (NHTSA). They were most helpful and took down my information regard the tires. They stated that if there were enough complaints that they would determine whether a recall was warranted.
My suggestion is that anyone that has had a blowout or flat tire with the Contitouringcontacts call NHTSA at (800) 327-4236 to lodge a complaint. You will have the option of filling out the complaint on the internet or speaking to a NHTSA representative on hte telephone. I strongly suggest that you voice your complaint via the telephone.

Thank you - ahg54
Old 05-27-2005, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 E320 ML350
I didn't have the problems you encountered but I decided to switch to Michelin Pilot Sports. A fantastic tire! When you are ready, try 'em!!