NOVA Dealer Service ... revisited

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 12:45 PM
jef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320 Platinum Blue, 1998 SLK230 Black
Question NOVA Dealer Service ... revisited

I realize there are some earlier posts about service in the DC/NOVA area, however I wanted to get some recent impressions from folks regarding ASC and HBL. I've owned MB autos since '95 and used ASC exclusively. That said, I have never been satisfied with their service. During this time I've owned Ford products as well (loved my Focus ZX3!). ASC could take a lesson or two from Ted Britt. Service there is amazing. They understand about what it takes to establish and maintain a relationship with a customer. ASC has so much attitude it's amazing. No matter who I deal with, they treat me like they are doing me a favor by even speaking to me. It really sours the Benz ownership experience.

Enough of my ranting... I wanted to know if people felt the service was getting any better at ASC.

Oh, on a different note, I must say the collision shop at ASC was awesome. I crunched the front end of my SLK last year and the repair was amazing... especially the paint.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:34 PM

2003 E500
My experience with HBL has been quite good. Nothing major has come up, just regular servicing, other routine stuff, and a few minor repairs; but their attitude and courtesy has been excellent. My wife had a terrible experience with the service department at European Motors, where we bought her car, a 2000 E430, and she finally took her car into HBL as well, which seems to have ended her complaints about her car. So far, so good.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by jef
I realize there are some earlier posts about service in the DC/NOVA area, however I wanted to get some recent impressions from folks regarding ASC and HBL. I've owned MB autos since '95 and used ASC exclusively. That said, I have never been satisfied with their service. During this time I've owned Ford products as well (loved my Focus ZX3!). ASC could take a lesson or two from Ted Britt. Service there is amazing. They understand about what it takes to establish and maintain a relationship with a customer. ASC has so much attitude it's amazing. No matter who I deal with, they treat me like they are doing me a favor by even speaking to me. It really sours the Benz ownership experience.

Enough of my ranting... I wanted to know if people felt the service was getting any better at ASC.

Oh, on a different note, I must say the collision shop at ASC was awesome. I crunched the front end of my SLK last year and the repair was amazing... especially the paint.

Over the years I have purchased my Audi, Porsche', and Benzes from HBL and the service is always amazing. I live next to Euro Motors in Bethesda and drive my car to HBL because of the serivce on my Benz. Dave Sullivan the SM for Benz at HBL is AMAZING

I just deal with him. The body shop which they just spend several million upgrading is a thing of beauty They bought the property across the street for Audi/Porsche, the old building is all MB and next door is AM.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:39 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
My previous e500 (Bordeaux & Stone) was purchased and serviced at ASC, Alexandria -- extraordinary service! My SA, Ramses, was always sympathetic to my concerns and would always ensured that I understood the work that had been performed on my w211 before leaving the shop. The only issue with ASC, Alexandria is that they do not offer MB loaners and that really sucks!

Anyway, wrecked that one, so I got another.

My current e500 (Silver & Charcoal) was purchased and is serviced at Euro Motorcars (EMC), Bethesda -- service sucks! I have been very unhappy with the SA's and have been through 3 of them! First off, when you walk into the service area, nobody looks like they want to be there - everyone looks like they want to smash your head in with the blunt side of a screwdriver .

Second, when you try to tell the SA "what brings you into their service department" they are not receptive to your concerns and no matter how hard you try, they do not write down what you tell them, but rather "their interpretation of what you've said" - now, admittedly, for most customers that may work, but when I bring you a print out of a TSB and tell you "this is the problem, I want this done.." what else is there to write!?

I was so unhappy with their service that I was relentless when I filled out the Service Questionnaire and gave EMC the lowest ratings in most aspects. A few weeks later, I received a call from MBUSA and had a half hour phone conversation with them regarding my w211 and the service received during that time. I expressed my discontent with the Quality of Service at the EMC to MBUSA and mentioned that I had since taken my vehicle to another dealership for service, EMC, Germantown, and raved about their service in comparison to EMC, Bethesda.

MBUSA discouraged me from taking the vehicle to different dealerships for service claiming that one should build a relationship with a service center (which I agree) and recommended that I take the vehicle back to EMC, Bethesda. They put me in touch with the Service Manager at Euro Motorcars, which has since assigned a shop foreman to work with me directly, rather than having to go through the SAs. The shop foreman and I now speak, then he passes the information along to an SA to write up the ticket.. I don't have to deal with the SAs anymore.. for now..

BTW, the problem that I've been taking my w211 in for is that nasty pulling to the right.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:53 AM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by Miguk_Saram
My previous e500 (Bordeaux & Stone) was purchased and serviced at ASC, Alexandria -- extraordinary service! My SA, Ramses, was always sympathetic to my concerns and would always ensured that I understood the work that had been performed on my w211 before leaving the shop. The only issue with ASC, Alexandria is that they do not offer MB loaners and that really sucks!

Anyway, wrecked that one, so I got another.

My current e500 (Silver & Charcoal) was purchased and is serviced at Euro Motorcars (EMC), Bethesda -- service sucks! I have been very unhappy with the SA's and have been through 3 of them! First off, when you walk into the service area, nobody looks like they want to be there - everyone looks like they want to smash your head in with the blunt side of a screwdriver .

Second, when you try to tell the SA "what brings you into their service department" they are not receptive to your concerns and no matter how hard you try, they do not write down what you tell them, but rather "their interpretation of what you've said" - now, admittedly, for most customers that may work, but when I bring you a print out of a TSB and tell you "this is the problem, I want this done.." what else is there to write!?

I was so unhappy with their service that I was relentless when I filled out the Service Questionnaire and gave EMC the lowest ratings in most aspects. A few weeks later, I received a call from MBUSA and had a half hour phone conversation with them regarding my w211 and the service received during that time. I expressed my discontent with the Quality of Service at the EMC to MBUSA and mentioned that I had since taken my vehicle to another dealership for service, EMC, Germantown, and raved about their service in comparison to EMC, Bethesda.

MBUSA discouraged me from taking the vehicle to different dealerships for service claiming that one should build a relationship with a service center (which I agree) and recommended that I take the vehicle back to EMC, Bethesda. They put me in touch with the Service Manager at Euro Motorcars, which has since assigned a shop foreman to work with me directly, rather than having to go through the SAs. The shop foreman and I now speak, then he passes the information along to an SA to write up the ticket.. I don't have to deal with the SAs anymore.. for now..

BTW, the problem that I've been taking my w211 in for is that nasty pulling to the right.
I agree it is all about realtionships! I only deal with my buddy the Service Manager and no one else when it comes to my car. This has allowed me to have the dealer install many of my mods to my E55 that most other MB dealers would not even consider. For example Kleemann IC MOD, LSD, Custom Sirius radio install, Headers, ECU, Pulley.......
Old 06-06-2005, 09:32 AM
jef

2003 E320 Platinum Blue, 1998 SLK230 Black
Originally Posted by 04E55 AMG
I agree it is all about realtionships! I only deal with my buddy the Service Manager and no one else when it comes to my car. This has allowed me to have the dealer install many of my mods to my E55 that most other MB dealers would not even consider. For example Kleemann IC MOD, LSD, Custom Sirius radio install, Headers, ECU, Pulley.......
I guess I'm getting cranky in my old age (41.. LOL). However, I resent that I have to WORK at building a relationship with an SA. (I've been through at least 4 myself.) I should be able to walk into the service department and be immediately greated by someone who is genuinely interested in making my expreience a pleasant one. That has NEVER happened at ASC. What it really comes down to is that I guess no matter where you go, the service is sub-par. Most employees don't enjoy their jobs and are quick to let you know. People have forgotten what the word service means.

I'm about to schedule my car for a "D" service.... I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
I have been asking around the Mercedes-Benz Club, and word is that MB of Alexandria is the bee's knees. I haven't tried them yet.

I have purchased cars from both HBL and ASC and neither has been what I would call a textbook customer experience, but for different reasons.

As I wrote in another thread ages ago, I found HBL's service department to be very congenial (and pretty close to my house), but I had to take the car back 3 times to have things fixed properly. Twice.

I generally don't have that problem with ASC. My problems there have been logistical: Not being to raise the SA on the phone in anything less than a day, or being told parts are in stock (after I made a special effort to check so as not to waste time), then putting my car in and having them call me back, only to tell me they don't have the parts.They have also done some little "value engineering" things like not changing the filter when refilling the crankcase after servce. The latter isn't a biggie, but it doesn't inspire confidence in a customer who's actually willing to take responsibility for ensuring their car is maintained.

All that having been said, I believe my ASC SA when he tells me he wants my business. I fear they're perhaps doing too well on volume and suffering the consequences.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Hey PA28... do you actually own a Warrior/Archer? Or do you just like the name? I've got probably 500+ hours in the venerable PA28.

I've also flown something a bit faster too..

http://homepage.mac.com/sjsamaha/PhotoAlbum5.html
Old 06-16-2005, 03:19 AM

03 E500
Originally Posted by Miguk_Saram

How did it go? My E500 had the pulling to the right problem, I took it in and my SA told me they put it on the alignment rack and everything checked out ok but I was not going to have non of that. With a little convincing he did get a head mechanic, not just a new mech who doesn't know his alignment rack, to do a road test with me and the HM did noticed the mis-alignment after all. Now they are going to take care of it, I will be getting my car back tomorrow.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:34 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Problem solved (I think)!

Dvinn,

Surprisingly enough, I think they fixed it (or so it seems)!

They kept my baby for a week. Got her back last Thursday (it's been a week) and so far so good.. I've put an additional 200+ miles on her and have noticed that she drifts a little, both left and right, but I attribute that to road crown; she no longer PULLS like she used to.

One concern though: noone explained what the deal was, nor how the problem was corrected. The foreman whom I was in contact with went out on vacation before the car was returned to me (what's up with that!). The service ticket says something about using a torch to free up a frozen component (!!!)..

In any case, I am concerned that they may have over-corrected to the opposite side of the pull, and that perhaps, when I rotate my wheels or re-align, the problem will re-appear. Haven't checked tire presssures yet (I keep telling myself to do this, but keep forgetting), but I probably should.. I recall reading a thread about a service shop correcting this problem by increasing the pressure on ONE of the tires and leaving the others at the recommended PSI. (not a solution!).

On a side note:

The Good
  • Complained about the squeaking breaks.. got free front breaks out of the deal (18k miles). Squeaking is gone.
  • Complained about the noisey wipers.. got free replacements (third set, still noisey though).
The Bad
  • They scratched my rear passenger rim and door (small blemish, but noticeable to me).. they're taking care of it on Monday.
  • This is the third time they replace my wipers, under warranty, and the problem persists. I really think the problem is the windshield; the wipers become noisey and skip/stutter in the same exact area at the mid (wiper up) and end (wiper down) of each cycle.
  • I had listed a number of other issues to be looked into, but got the typical "could not duplicate at this time" response on the service ticket.
The not so Ugly
  • I asked how much they'd charge to touch up my rear bumber (lots of small scratches), they offered a discounted price of US$250 (sounds reasonable to me).
The SA acting as proxy for the foreman is a welcome improvement over the previous 3 assigned to me. He has been attentive, respectful and curteous.

I still think Euro MotorCars, Bethesda is lacking in the customer service area; in my book, they are below average. On a scale of 1 to 10? 4.