E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

CL-style grill with Distronic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
CL-style grill with Distronic?

Has anybody tried the CL-style grill with distronic?
Old 06-10-2005, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
I really doubt it will fit but I can tell you the DTR STar on the front of the CL is about 170 bucks alone.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:46 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450

Unless I am mistaken, the CL-style grille for the w211 has the same dimensions as the original grille (I've installed the CL grille on my w211). I honestly don't see how replacing the grille would have any impact on the distronic system.. if anything, there will be less obstructions, since the CL grille provides less horizontal bars than the original grille.

..hmm.. come to think of it.. the chrome components might be a problem, if they're actually chrome rather than plastic (but I think they're plastic).

Other than that, I don't see a problem.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 06-10-2005, 09:52 PM

E55
Thanks for the responses guys. Oslo, that is a cool picture. Where is it from, and is it indicating that the distronic will work with the CL-Style grill? If distronic is an option on the CL or CLK I would think that it must work. As most of you know, the standard grill on an E-Class with Distronic has a small shielded area for protection. What I would like to do is put the CL-style grill on and if possible, make a small shiled out of plexiglass that fits behind the star for protection. The part that I do not understand is what that would do to the functionality of the unit. Any other help/comments are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
I think it's a different grille for the models with DTR. You might want to check with your dealer and see if they come up with two different part numbers for the grille, one for vehicles with DTR and one for without. Even the hood ornament needs to be replaced when you retrofit DTR to the E-Class.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:24 PM

CL550
Originally Posted by SUNILP
I really doubt it will fit but I can tell you the DTR STar on the front of the CL is about 170 bucks alone.
Where can I get the DTR Star on the front of the CL550? I already have a distronic grille installed, current star is peeling under the plastic. In the alternative, do you know whether the plastic case can be opened in order to clean or chrome plate the existing star?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:49 PM

2012 W212 | 2016 W205
Distronic will work with basically any Mercedes grill, i used to have the stock Elegance grill when i was getting my distronic grill painted.

However when the weather gets nasty sometimes distronic will stop functioning, but who uses distronic in wet weather anyway, i don't really trust it.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:22 PM

CL550
Distronic Star

Thank you willy_manilly for your interest. However, we have a 2008 CL550 and we replaced the stock grill with a distronic star grill. We do not have distronic, we replaced the grill merely to get a better look. We think we succeeded because we also painted the fins black with only quarter inch chrome trim on the fins. Also, we put chrome plastic trim around the three piece lower grills for an AMG look. Everything was great and we received many compliments. However, the star under the clear plastic has substantially peeled to an unsightly state. All distronic stars do not fit all models. We sent for and had to return one that was approximately a half inch smaller in diameter than the one in our grill. Very simply, we need to know where we can obtain a distronic star that fits our car. Or in the alternative, is it possible to open the star, take out what we suspect to be the plastic interior star and get it re-chrome plated. If so, we need directions on how to open the star. We checked ebay and can find nothing to help us. Information from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:22 AM

2012 CL550
I know this is years later but does anyone in the US still have their old CL grill knocking around? One of the chrome trim pieces fell off mine.