E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

05 Mercedes E500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Mercedes E500

A friend of mine just bought a 05 E500 and they want to install a sirius receiver that integrates with their factory radio. I never put this unit in a MB and since I did many of their other installs they trust my work and want me to install the unit for them. I wanted to know what is involved or if anyone have any install pics. I beleive the only thing involved is to mount the reciever and antenna. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:59 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
What kind of Sirius receiver, and what do you expect from "integrates"? If you mean a Sirius (or XM) receiver that will play through the audio system, that's easy. Just use the "AUX" jack in the glove box to input the audio. If you want the Sirius channel info to display on the audio display, that's another matter. I don't know of any aftermarket satellite radio solution that will display on, or be controlled by, the factory audio system. But I could uninformed.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:14 PM

Thanks DWP....The unit is actually Mercedes. My friend was going to buy the unit from Mercedes and have me install it. I am not 100% sure, but I thought this unit would integrate with the factory Head Unit.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:10 PM

'05 E500 4-Matic Wagon
Originally Posted by DWP
What kind of Sirius receiver, and what do you expect from "integrates"? If you mean a Sirius (or XM) receiver that will play through the audio system, that's easy. Just use the "AUX" jack in the glove box to input the audio. If you want the Sirius channel info to display on the audio display, that's another matter. I don't know of any aftermarket satellite radio solution that will display on, or be controlled by, the factory audio system. But I could uninformed.

I can send you the 04 E500 MB install guide. Maybe it will be of some use. It's a PDF. If interested, send me a PM with your emaill address and I'll be glad to send it.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:19 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Originally Posted by HotWheels500
I can send you the 04 E500 MB install guide. Maybe it will be of some use. It's a PDF. If interested, send me a PM with your emaill address and I'll be glad to send it.
Hey, if I'm wrong, don't hesitate to say so. Wouldn't be the first or the last time. If M-B has some kind of Sirius module that can be added to an '05 that didn't come from the dealer with Sirius, I imagine that meh66 would be interested in seeing the instructions for it. Personally, I have no interest in Sirius. I'm invested in XM (in more ways than one) and I'll stick with my XM MyFi portable, thank you.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:01 AM

Air Force 1s
With the Mercedes unit can you take your radio from the car to the house? Is there a seperate receiver to do this? Seems pretty expensive for just the car. How much for the satellite to just play through your audio system without COMAND display?
Old 06-14-2005, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
The MB Sirius rcvr is fully integrated with and hardwired to the car, bolted into the trunk. It can not function alone, as it only is a receiver, which must be fed onto the car's stereo system. It contains nothing more than what is necessary to take the signal from the antenna & send it to the Comand Head Unit.

About 60 bucks will get you a unit for the house/beach/work. Check Sirius' website. They will have a deal on units for existing customers on the hardware & the subscription! That's not to say you can't do better at Costco or BJ's or Circuit City/ Best Buy. Personally, due to the state of Radio Programming by big Station owning corporations, plan on more than one satellite receiver in your life soon.