E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

03 E500 transmission problem

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by bhmav8r
I understood the problem to be with the embedded tranny radiator in the engine radiator - glycol leaks into the tranny radiator.
Correct, it is not the transmission but rather the Valeo radiator installed at production that is the problem. Although the vehicle tests negative now this is no guarantee that failure will not occur in the future. PM your email address and I will forward DTB that includes instructions to identify “old” crimping method used on radiator in question.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Valeo radiator

Same issues on 2003 E 500 as previous posts.....Mercedes Benz misdiagnosed the problem as being motor mounts that contributed the jerking of the car....sure thing 2 weeks later my car is now immobilized with a transmission problem.....leaking tranny fluid and not catching gears correctly...Anything over 2000 rpms is a rough shift or occasionally no shift at all where I have to put car into neutral to have gears catch again. Now we all no Mercedes should have recalled this valeo radiator to see what kind of destruction this will due once into transmission and torque converter.....Does anybody know of a class action lawsuit due to MB's lack of due diligence and misleading representation?
Old 05-04-2010, 06:25 PM

03 E500
On my 2003 E500 Sport, I am having similar issues, though not as drastic as what some of you are having with the same car.

My car will randomly have that jerking back and forth at low speeds between 0-15mph. I've had 2 different Benz dealerships look into the problem and both claimed they couldn't reproduce it or find anything wrong. I'm determined there is something wrong with this.

In addition I've also had a weird rattle feeling on the brake pedals)when depressed) when the car is in motion that would come and go as well. Again, Benz looked into and said they couldn't find anything. Although they did mention today while I was getting my G service done, they said that a wheel bearing needs adjustment. I'm not sure if that has any relations to this problem, but I will find out when they perform the work which costed me $95.

I was hoping someone could forward me the TSB or File documenting the error(s) and how to get it looked at by the Dealer. Thanks.

BTW, I love the car, but these little random issues bug the heck outta me!

Last edited by aznduece; 05-04-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by aznduece
My car will randomly have that jerking back and forth at low speeds between 0-15mph. I've had 2 different Benz dealerships look into the problem and both claimed they couldn't reproduce it or find anything wrong. I'm determined there is something wrong with this.
i have the same problem still even after my tranny and radiator were replaced due to glycol, under warranty. now my mechanic is saying the transmission computer needs replacing.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:07 AM

E500
E500 transmission

I a m a widow driving my husband's 2003 E500. I wanted to keep this car both for emotional and financial reasons. In May, 2008 I brought to dealer with shuddering problem just in 1st gear, and they replaced the transmission control unit. I noticed it again soon after that, but it seemed very minor, so I let it go. When it recently returned at higher speeds, I returned to dealer. Leak from radiator into transmission, etc. Out of warranty. Any suggestions?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
How many miles on your E500?

Since the dealer confirmed glycol contamination, you absolutely have to replace the radiator and the radiator coolant lines [not sure of the price]. Then you probably have three choices:
(1) replace the entire transmission and torque converter with either a new one [around $10K+ labor] or a used one [around $2K + labor and delivery] and take your chances or
(2) replace the torque converter [~$1000 +labor] and fill with 7+ liters of fresh new transmission oil - would be a great time to replace the transmission seal or
(3) flush the transmission oil and take your chances [~$600].

What ever you try to do, hassle the dealership you bought the car from to help you out with the bill. The 03-04 E class (especially the E500) has a lot of potential problems. Good luck with what ever choice you make.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:57 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E500 CLK320
Ask the service manager for a good will repair. Coolant contamination -- it's a well known problem in these cars due to poor radiator design.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:08 PM

E500
Originally Posted by i8hotdogs
Hello All - My 03 E500 transmision started having problems yesterday morning. I thought it would go away after restarting the motor but it didn't. On a normal acceleration, the car starts jerking back and forth before shifting to second gear. Same thing occurs from 2nd to 3rd. After 3rd, the car picks up enough speed and seems to smooth out. I also accelerated hard around 55 mph and the car starts to jerk before taking off. Another thing I noticed is that once I am cruising around 60 mph, I here and feel vibration coming from the rear, it is like when you run over the groves cut into the sides of the road so it will wake you up if you are falling asleep. I also heard a quick low pitch hum once in a while. I am taking my car into the dealer today, I just wanted to know if anyone else seen this before.

Thanks
My MB is in the shop now with the exact same complaint and issue. I even described the grinding issue the same "as if you were running over groves in the side of the road".

I purchased my MB used about six months ago. I immediately noticed the "bucking" at low speeds usually in first gear and never thought anything of this being an issue. But now it bucks, and at higher speeds it makes a grinding noise when shifting gears.

I went to the MB dealership and after a few days of diagnosing, the told me it was the radiator that went bad and has leaked fluid into the transmission. Even though this is a known issue with MB, they refused to fix under warranty. I was smart enough to purchase an extended warranty with the car that covers the transmission, but this PLATINUM warranty does not cover the radiator. What's worse is that they will not cover the transmission if the problem was due to a pre-existing "uncovered" part (i.e. the radiator). Now they believe the problem was caught soon enough to save the transmission, but who during these times can afford to pay 2,500 for a new radiator and transmission flush.

I was laid off my job in April of this year and even though I'm on unemployment, I continued to pay this monthly warranty cost just in case of a major failure.

Can anyone make any suggestions of what I can do. Any lawsuits or attorneys currently pursuing a class action against MB? If so I'd love to be a part of this suit. This is my only source of transportation, and how can I find a job if I don't have my car.

Signed extremely upset with MB.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:12 PM

E500
Any Report to fight this issue

Originally Posted by konigstiger
Correct, it is not the transmission but rather the Valeo radiator installed at production that is the problem. Although the vehicle tests negative now this is no guarantee that failure will not occur in the future. PM your email address and I will forward DTB that includes instructions to identify “old” crimping method used on radiator in question.
Is there anything we can do to have this known issue taken care of by MB? The cost to replace the radiator and flush the trans is quite expensive.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:50 PM

2003 E500
Been through this issue as well. There is no remedy short of replacing the radiator and a trans fluid flush. Statistically, this level of repair will suffice for approximately 80% of those effected. This repair can be done economically by a qualified repair shop as opposed to the dealer, you will save in the labor cost, but will still run you around $1,600 - $2,000. The next level is the torque converter, and ultimately - a new/rebuilt trans. So, go for a level 1 repair and hope you caught it soon enough!
Old 09-16-2010, 02:52 PM

E500
E500 Radiator Issue

Thanks for the information. The dealer quoted me about 2,500, but I was able to get another quote around 1,800. Right now the car seems to be driving fine. Are there any signs I should look for as this is currently my only source of transportation. It will take me a couple of weeks to come up with the money and just hope that nothing happens in between that time frame.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:19 PM

2003 E500
I think there is a viable strategy for you, as I didn't get mine done right away because I didn't know what was wrong. I have a super knowledgeable, independant, MB repair shop 3 miles from my house, and they figured it out pretty quick.

What I did in the mean time was shift it manually to keep it out of the rpm range where the shuddering occurs. It generally does it between 1800 - 2800 rpms, so if you hold it in gear a bit longer and upshift manually it won't drop down into the shuddering range as often.

I think this will only alleviate your frustration while driving, I don't believe it will prevent further damage to the transmission - unless the shuddering and humming also cause damage. I think that once the glycol gets in, it removes the trans fluid from the clutch paks, without which the paks will wear off their friction material, and eventually they will not operate correctly. I might have the cause/effect a bit tweaked, but that's the impact.

Just a note, after mine was flushed I still had some lingering issues, and I was afraid that I would need the next level of repair = torque converter. My mechanic said to just drive it for awhile and let the computer do its thing. He was right. The car has worked well thus far, and I have put ~ 18k miles on it since the repair.

So, take your time, baby it a bit, shift it manually when you can, and save your pennies!

Last edited by 03E4ME; 09-16-2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 10-17-2010, 04:11 AM

Mercedes Benz E500, 2003
same problem

Originally Posted by rjm
Sadly, Mercedes has ignored this design problem for YEARS. I had the same identical problem in my 2001 E-430 which required replacing the transmission at 24,000 miles. I guess it's cheaper for them to replace an occasional transmission than to fix a design flaw in the transmission/cooling system.

I have E500, 2003, and my transmission was broken after 3 years which is in 2006. I paid almost $6000.00.
Last week, my air suspension is broken. Dealership estimated $6500 to fix it.

Mercedes Benz declairs their car is #1 in the world. Infact, it is just pain in neck, a piece of junk. Where should I complain about this crappy car.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:07 PM

2004 E500
Those of you with the 722.6 and cold start / shuddering problems should read these articles

http://www.sonnax.com/tech-articles/TCTip-05-10.pdf

http://www.tascforce.biz/tech-articles/TCTIP-06-10.pdf
Old 02-15-2011, 12:49 PM

I have a 2003 E500 that I just purchased with 105000 miles. If the radiator is the bad one. Would it of lasted this long? I am getting a bucking and a short vibration/droning noise when going up hills. I also have the pilot seal leaking and it is getting fixed this week with a fluid change. Could the wicking of the wires or low transmission flued cause this? Thanks.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:15 PM

2004 E500
If you send me a pm with your email address I will send you the document that tells you what to look for. You have to take the front belly pan off to see enough of the radiator.

Causes can be anti freeze in trans fluid, bad torque converter clutches, bad tcu from wicking, bad valve body. Did you buy the car knowing the problem was there?
Old 02-16-2011, 07:56 AM

2003 E55, 1998 540i
Originally Posted by pelletman
If you send me a pm with your email address I will send you the document that tells you what to look for. You have to take the front belly pan off to see enough of the radiator.

Causes can be anti freeze in trans fluid, bad torque converter clutches, bad tcu from wicking, bad valve body. Did you buy the car knowing the problem was there?

I just bought it about a week ago and started to notice the issue. The dealer that I bought it from has a mechanic and told me that he will replace the pilot seals and tranny fluid. He said that it could be a little low on fluid. After reading all of the issues on here. I am hoping for the best. My BMW 540i with 15000+ miles on it is still running strong.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:17 AM

2014 E550, 2003 E500, 1999 GMC Sierra, 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD
2003 E500 transmission failure

At 72k mi, my transmission, within 2 days, started slipping terribly. Had to stop and restart the car a few times to get the transmission to reset and limp over to the repair shop. Bits of metal and antifreeze in the transmission. Had an early 2003 with the bad radiator. Independent repair shop charged me $2700 for a rebuilt Tranny,(30 month warranty)$800 for a radiator totaled $5k installation and tax. Ouch!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:59 AM

2003 E55, 1998 540i
Mine is going into the shop Sat. They will be doing the pilot shaft seal and new ATF. I hope that this works!! When the weather breaks I will be doing leak check on air system. When car is cold I get the workshop message. Does not do it when it is warmer.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:59 AM

2003 mbz e500
Smile '03 E500 tranny problem class action/law suit..

Looks like there's soooo many of us w/ the same symptoms on our car. And MBZ did not bother to correct or make recall...

So, if there's a lawsuit related to this. pls include me.

I'm ready to signed hundreds of signatures for frustration. PEACE.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:42 PM

2003 E500
I've recently "inherited" an '03 E500 (not through a death but by mother-in-law's upgrade to a 2010 E350). It only has 34k miles. I've been exploring the board here because the transmission has a tremor at a variety of rpm's (like driving over rumble strips; mild jerking like the torque converter's not holding tight).

We had the same issue on a '96 accord when it was about 6 years old. ATF got old and a drain and refill fixed the problem. I'm not liking what I'm reading here about the radiator problem and glycol contamination......ugh!

Please accept a new member to the support group! Misery loves company.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:29 PM

2003 E55, 1998 540i
Originally Posted by VARam1500
I've recently "inherited" an '03 E500 (not through a death but by mother-in-law's upgrade to a 2010 E350). It only has 34k miles. I've been exploring the board here because the transmission has a tremor at a variety of rpm's (like driving over rumble strips; mild jerking like the torque converter's not holding tight).

We had the same issue on a '96 accord when it was about 6 years old. ATF got old and a drain and refill fixed the problem. I'm not liking what I'm reading here about the radiator problem and glycol contamination......ugh!

Please accept a new member to the support group! Misery loves company.
Check the pilot seal and do a fluid change. Mine had same problem and when these get low on fluid they do strange things. If there is a leak. It will be low. I would also check the rad. Mine still does weird things when cold and in slow traffic. But it is a lot better.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:12 PM

2003 E500
Glycol contamination symptons are gradually returning, might need to replace the torque converter. Let's hope its the engine mounts - as painful as that is to say.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:42 AM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by 03E4ME
Glycol contamination symptons are gradually returning, might need to replace the torque converter. Let's hope its the engine mounts - as painful as that is to say.
I ended up having to replace the radiator, which was NOT a Valero, and have the transmission totally rebuilt. Shop that did it is in DE. The tranny had contamination from anti freeze when it came apart. I have a BEHR radiator I'd take $150 plus shipping for, brand new in the box. I didn't bring it with me because I didn't think the radiator was the issue. Torque converter was rebuilt too. Build date of the car was 9/03
Old 04-09-2012, 11:05 PM

2003 Merc E-500
Transmission issues

Hello all,

Well I have a 2003, E500 with 119,000 miles on it.

I bought it used with a shade over 100K on the odo.

I have had two instances where the shudder happened when I was slowing down between 5-10 mph.

How do I identify my radiator to see if it is one of the bad ones? Should this problem have reared it's ugly head by now?

My indie has recomended changing the trans conductor plate, filter and fluid flush just as a precaution..he has an old bulleting regarding the valve body controller on my model.

I plan on keeping this car for a while, so does anybody have any tips to make sure this issue doesn't come up with the glycol contamination?

Thanks,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 03 E500 transmission problem