E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

'06 CDI, "more for less"

Old 07-26-2005, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
'06 CDI, "more for less"

I just received my '06 and the FIRST thing I noticed is that they remove the DVD-audio. I should check under the hood to see if there is still a freaken engine in there.....

Why did they remove the DVD player? For a lousy dollar in a $60,000 car? Are they CRAZY?

The armrest SUCKS BIG TIME. I had the early '05 armrest and it was great, now they got this stupid wooden tam-boor door and it is bloody UNCOMFORTABLE. Why? So they can save another couple of dollars?

What else have they cheapened that we can NOT see? How many ounces have they shaved off the steel? What about the thickness of the plastic?

You know what? Mercedes is falling into the Chrysler/GM/Ford world and they are NOT fooling anyone with the name anymore. This is NOT the Mercedes Benz philosophy and product that we all come to expect. This is now about style, glitz and gizmos.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
Originally Posted by Spartan
I just received my '06 and the FIRST thing I noticed is that they remove the DVD-audio. I should check under the hood to see if there is still a freaken engine in there.....

Why did they remove the DVD player? For a lousy dollar in a $60,000 car? Are they CRAZY?

The armrest SUCKS BIG TIME. I had the early '05 armrest and it was great, now they got this stupid wooden tam-boor door and it is bloody UNCOMFORTABLE. Why? So they can save another couple of dollars?

What else have they cheapened that we can NOT see? How many ounces have they shaved off the steel? What about the thickness of the plastic?

You know what? Mercedes is falling into the Chrysler/GM/Ford world and they are NOT fooling anyone with the name anymore. This is NOT the Mercedes Benz philosophy and product that we all come to expect. This is now about style, glitz and gizmos.
Spartan,
Respectfully, did you not perform your due diligence before spending a couple of pennies? The arm rest was a well known issue and the DVD, well who knows. As for the cheapening of the steel and plastic, I believe you are way off base as this would affect the structural integrity of the car and it's safety ratings.
My advise, give it a couple of days and see if this is really a car you can live with. The CDI motor, the safety and the build quality (as much as you disagree) are excellent. I personally would never trade my 05CDI for anything else!
Try to enjoy and give us updates.
Jay
Old 07-26-2005, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by saffrontiger
Spartan,
Respectfully, did you not perform your due diligence before spending a couple of pennies? The arm rest was a well known issue and the DVD, well who knows. As for the cheapening of the steel and plastic, I believe you are way off base as this would affect the structural integrity of the car and it's safety ratings.
My advise, give it a couple of days and see if this is really a car you can live with. The CDI motor, the safety and the build quality (as much as you disagree) are excellent. I personally would never trade my 05CDI for anything else!
Try to enjoy and give us updates.
Jay

I didn't buy it, it was a REPLACEMENT for the '05 CDI. Now try to imagine how serious a problem it had to be for them to REPLACE the car. Because they DID do the right thing and replace the '05, I will NOT talk about it BUT it does not mean I am a blind follower anymore.

Yes, I know about the armrest and I was one of the first to criticize it, now I am living with it and it's worse then I thought. As for the DVD, it is annoying to see them pull a one dollar stunt like that.

As for the steel, if they are willing to cut corners with things we see and use, what else have they done that we do NOT see? You know, if you cut a ounce from the window mechanism, you can save 4 cents. Four window mechanism is 12 cents. How do I trust that they have NOT done that? If they are willing to cut here...why not there?

I've had 6 Benzes in my life. A quarter of a million miles was ROUTINE for my cars. I have always believed that they were the "king" of cars.......but......
Old 07-26-2005, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Spartan, do some searches for my previous posts, and especially my debate with Hell on a Harley about this lack of features on the CDI (at over $62K with taxes!). I agree with you that MB is cutting the wrong corners.. but after long though on the subject.. I realize that the car has features (albeit hidden) like a boron steel cage, 5-arm multi-link suspension and such that make it a great car.. but How do you think I fealt when I found out my rear seats were vinyl? I was told by the dealer that I had "leather inserts" on ALL my seat surfaces... didn't bother to tell me that the ALL applies to the front seats only!

There are a few areas where I was disappointed with the "Standard" features packages, but like you, I am blind no more... next MB I get will be special order and it will have those items. I don't mind paying for them, but I was just shocked that they weren't standard.. I honestly would have felt like a chump asking the dealer if my car's stereo had RDS for example, when my friends '04
Audi A4 @ $34,000 does, and my '05 Volvo XC @49,000 did.. I figures it was a given on a $56K sticker E class.. guess not.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:36 PM
jhh
Almost a Member!

2005 E500
I just received my '06 and the FIRST thing I noticed is that they remove the DVD-audio.
Sorry to be so ignorant, but what is the "DVD-audio"? Is this something different from the single-disc CD player that sits right above the LCD screen?

BTW, I think the option/feature configuration is specified by MB-USA, not the folks in Germany. I also believe that MB-USA (wrongly in my opinion) changed out the old style arm rest for the new one because of loud complains in the US about the cup holders in the old style arm rest. The old style rest is still used in the ROW.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jhh
Sorry to be so ignorant, but what is the "DVD-audio"? Is this something different from the single-disc CD player that sits right above the LCD screen?

BTW, I think the option/feature configuration is specified by MB-USA, not the folks in Germany. I also believe that MB-USA (wrongly in my opinion) changed out the old style arm rest for the new one because of loud complains in the US about the cup holders in the old style arm rest. The old style rest is still used in the ROW.
I find that very believable..

I used to sell Volvo's back in 1994-5.. and THE single biggest complaint about them was "no cup holder???" what???

It used to annoy me how the American car buyer was obsessed with this feature... and it wasn't enough to have a small one like most European cars have.. it had to be a Big-Gulp sized one!

In Europe, the idea of drinking inside your nice car is just unheard off. I am one who took his two cup holders out and stored them away for the day I sell the car.. Nobody eats, or drinks in my car (period).
Old 07-28-2005, 12:24 AM

03 E500
Originally Posted by CE750
I find that very believable..

I used to sell Volvo's back in 1994-5.. and THE single biggest complaint about them was "no cup holder???" what???

It used to annoy me how the American car buyer was obsessed with this feature... and it wasn't enough to have a small one like most European cars have.. it had to be a Big-Gulp sized one!

In Europe, the idea of drinking inside your nice car is just unheard off. I am one who took his two cup holders out and stored them away for the day I sell the car.. Nobody eats, or drinks in my car (period).
I agree that the cup holder thing is stupid as well. Although I do have drinks in my car, nothing like a big gulp, it's more like star bucks coffee and things like those that actually fits but I never ate in my car. The idea of fries and onion rings stuck in between the seats just ills me.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:16 AM

'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
I agree. The cheapening is unbelievable. I don't think I would take a replacement for our early '05 CDI. We have drive dynamic seats, ventilated seats, accurate tire pressure monitors, rest on the A/C, the old and better style armrest, etc.

Even then we were PO'd about the loss of available 4-place climate control with a charcoal filter and a heated steering wheel with the ventilated seats.

We would have taken the refund and bought an Audi, Lexus, or Infiniti. Depending on price, maybe an STS-V.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:18 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Yeah, the reason for the new center console was all the N/A people complaining about the cup holders (which I love by the way). People complain and the engineers say, "Okay, how about this then" and laugh..
Old 07-29-2005, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
I agree. The cheapening is unbelievable. I don't think I would take a replacement for our early '05 CDI. We have drive dynamic seats, ventilated seats, accurate tire pressure monitors, rest on the A/C, the old and better style armrest, etc.

Even then we were PO'd about the loss of available 4-place climate control with a charcoal filter and a heated steering wheel with the ventilated seats.

We would have taken the refund and bought an Audi, Lexus, or Infiniti. Depending on price, maybe an STS-V.
Lets not get carried away now.. ... I will admit the Audi's interior is probably better than the MB, but I know from first hand experience that the Cadi is absolute crap (chevy w/ leather) on the inside.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by atssystems.com
Yeah, the reason for the new center console was all the N/A people complaining about the cup holders (which I love by the way). People complain and the engineers say, "Okay, how about this then" and laugh..
No kidding they laughed...but the joke on US!

Of all the possible engineering solutions, sticking strips of wood where you elbow is just so f'en hilarious.....

Oh well, now I am going to have to look into finding a crashed E and replacing the center section.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ

I loook at several cars while deciding what to do. The bottom line is that I still love the CDI. It has the best combinations of ride, handling, noise, economy, etc....BUT.....I am pissed at their pettyness.

BTW, they also removed the seats movement from the easy entry feature.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
The very latest 05 European CDI's are now listed as being the V6. They still have the conventional armrest. (Your complaint should be addressed to MBUSA) Plus all new 211's have a new safety headrestraint.

The 2004 211 was the best specced model and from approximately July we have seen 'down' speccing. Hopefully this has changed with the latest innovations.

John
Old 08-01-2005, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BTW, they also removed the seats movement from the easy entry feature.
no kidding? Are you sure cause my mom's '06 E350 has it. Did you look in the menu for the MFD to see if there is a setting for that?
Old 08-01-2005, 09:15 PM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
"Sorry to be so ignorant, but what is the "DVD-audio"? Is this something different from the single-disc CD player that sits right above the LCD screen?"

Cars built from mid-04 or so to recently have a single-slot drive (the one above the COMAND screen) that'll read DVDs and play MP3 recordings. This is a huge advantage, as you can squeeze enormous numbers of CDs onto a single DVD-R using MP3 compression techniques.

I put most of my 200 CD collection onto three DVDs. The COMAND screen will display all the CD titles on the disc currently in the drive and let you scroll through and choose which one you want. It will then display all the track titles on the CD you've chosen and let you scroll through them and choose which you want to hear.

Great pity that DC elected to drop this feature, IMHO!

Last edited by khaug; 08-01-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, 2004.5 C230 Sport Sedan, 2005 E320 CDI, 2008 C300 4-Matic Luxury
this is amazing, i never knew about this feature as there is no mention of it in the user manual (the DVD part anyway). so is it actually able to play DVD-Audio or is it simply able to read burnt DVD discs?
Old 08-06-2005, 07:19 AM

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, 2004.5 C230 Sport Sedan, 2005 E320 CDI, 2008 C300 4-Matic Luxury
ok, there must be something wrong with the info concerning the DVD audio part...i just tried playing a DVD-R in the drive above the screen in our new 2005 E320 CDI (just picked it up last night) and all it says is CD Error. is there some kind of trick or am i missing something here?
Old 08-06-2005, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by inFiniTE LooP
ok, there must be something wrong with the info concerning the DVD audio part...i just tried playing a DVD-R in the drive above the screen in our new 2005 E320 CDI (just picked it up last night) and all it says is CD Error. is there some kind of trick or am i missing something here?

Look on the door sill (driver side) and tell us your build date.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:58 PM

the build date is 03/05
Old 08-06-2005, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by inFiniTE LooP
the build date is 03/05
odd.. So you're saying it won't play a DVD, or a DVD-R recorded with .mpg?

Cause, I'm pretty sure mine plays mpg recorded on DVR.. I should double check.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:23 PM

yea, i recorded a bunch of mp3s on to a DVD-R as data in separate folders, when i put the disc in it says CD error or something to that extent, i've also tried a DVD movie with the same result. haven't actually tried an actual DVD Audio disc yet, but i doubt it will work...any suggestions?