E Owners Thoughts on the R Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
E Owners Thoughts on the R Class

This has been asked in regard to the CLS. How about the E Class wagon (Estates) and sedan drivers. What is your preference regarding a new E or a new R350/500 to replace or become your E Class replacement in the future?

I have made my choice already but am interested is seeing how others feel. I cancelled a order for a new E Class wagon in February and decided to wait on the R500.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:15 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
The R Class isn't for me. My wife and I don't need all that room. Nonetheless, DCX can't be blamed for expanding the M-B line into nontraditional (for M-B) market niches, such as SUVs, vans and styling exercises (the CLS). I'm not a long-time M-B owner and so I don't have any particular concerns about DCX diluting the "purity" of the M-B brand by expanding beyond its traditional base of sedans, coupes and roadsters. OK, so I might draw the line at a M-B pickup truck, but that's not likely to happen. If somebody finds that the R-Class meets their needs or wants, and it brings them into/keeps them in the M-B corral, then DCX is just doing what a company has to do to survive in a competitive marketplace. On top of that, the R-Class seems to be a fine vehicle.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own a e500 wagon. For me, it's more streamlined looking, much faster 0-60, and actually seats seven (3 in the middle). So I don't have any regrets. If I needed the vanlike convenience of moving between rows of seats, then I might feel different.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by operations
I own a e500 wagon. For me, it's more streamlined looking, much faster 0-60, and actually seats seven (3 in the middle). So I don't have any regrets. If I needed the vanlike convenience of moving between rows of seats, then I might feel different.
With an E500 wagon there is no need for any regrets...:-) I have had 3 wagons and loved every one of them. Just thought the R was something different and has so many nice features that I would go that direction.

One thing, you mention the E500 wagon is "much faster 0-60." Reviews of the R500 are indicating a 0-60 in 6.5 sec. which is pretty swift for a 4800 pound car. They both have the same 302HP engine so I would expect the 0-60 to be quite similar.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:03 PM

09 S550
I vote for E-500. R reminds me of honda.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
We like the style but won't consider it until the diesel becomes available.

Where's Barney going to sit in your new ride?

Last edited by TPAbnz; 08-01-2005 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TPAbnz
We like the style but won't consider it until the diesel becomes available.

Where's Barney going to sit in your new ride?
A good move on waiting for the diesel. It will be the best package of the bunch when released in late 2006 or so, especially if they put in the bigger V8 CDI. I just did not want to wait another year for it.

Barney usually gets the front row in any situation but the car...:-) He is crate trained and jumps into his crate like it was a palace. In the E320, it is a little inconvenient with the crate in the back seat. It will be nice to have all that room in the R500 like I had in my wagons.

(thanks for checking out the site...:-)
Old 08-01-2005, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
One guy's opinion of the R500.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/con...8981648765506/

I certainly don't need a seven passenger vehicle although I'd like to have something I could carry larger items in. My first choice would be a BMW Sport Wagon or a Mercedes C-Class wagon. Unfortuntely, neither marque put their biggest sixes in them.

I'm still not convinced I would buy a vehicle that has much of it sourced in the U.S. The early M-Class looked more like it was designed in Dearborn than in Sindelfingen.

If the R-Class isn't a station wagon nor an SUV nor a minivan, then who are they appealing to? If it's Mercedes version of the minivan then they blow away the domestic competition and maybe even Toyota and Honda. However, when the price crosses the $60K threshold then it'll be a tough sell.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:41 PM

'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
I have a very strong preference for the body style of the wagon. I think the R (and the Chrysler Pacifica) is better looking that a conventional minivan but neither the Chrysler nor the R suits my taste. I have a E500 sedan and an E320 wagon. When they're sue for replacement, I may or may not simply go with whatever the MB line has in that regard, but it will certainly not be an R. Obviously, there are some who might go R, but I think that MB is more interested in attracting new customers to the marque that in simply shifting existing MB customers from one model to another (unless it is to prevent them from deserting MB).
Old 08-01-2005, 03:44 PM

'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
I have a very strong preference for the body style of the wagon. I think the R (and the Chrysler Pacifica) is better looking than a conventional minivan but neither the Chrysler nor the R suits my taste. I have a E500 sedan and an E320 wagon. When they're due for replacement, I may or may not simply go with whatever the MB line has in that regard, but it will certainly not be an R. Obviously, there are some who might go R, but I think that MB is more interested in attracting new customers to the marque than in simply shifting existing MB customers from one model to another (unless it is to prevent them from deserting MB).
Old 08-01-2005, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BudC
One guy's opinion of the R500.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/con...8981648765506/

I certainly don't need a seven passenger vehicle although I'd like to have something I could carry larger items in. My first choice would be a BMW Sport Wagon or a Mercedes C-Class wagon. Unfortuntely, neither marque put their biggest sixes in them.

I'm still not convinced I would buy a vehicle that has much of it sourced in the U.S. The early M-Class looked more like it was designed in Dearborn than in Sindelfingen.

If the R-Class isn't a station wagon nor an SUV nor a minivan, then who are they appealing to? If it's Mercedes version of the minivan then they blow away the domestic competition and maybe even Toyota and Honda. However, when the price crosses the $60K threshold then it'll be a tough sell.
I read the article...more creative writing than a hard nosed review. But he made some good points and apparently liked the car.

Mercedes is searching for a place to put the R Class...they probably will be happy with anything except "minivan." It is just something they have tried to avoid and I don't know if they will be sucessful. When BMW and Jaguar and Audi hit the streets in a year or so with the competition then you will see a group the cars will fit into.

As to who they are aiming at...all the truck SUV buyers first and to the wagon buyers second I think. There is no way they are going to have a Odessey buyer looking at the R Class. Pricing for the R500 will well exceed $60,000 if the customer wants a "well equipped" version. So they have their work cut out for them.

I have no problem with the made in the USA based on initial reports of the new ML fit and finish and quality of materials.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by weinschela
I have a very strong preference for the body style of the wagon. I think the R (and the Chrysler Pacifica) is better looking that a conventional minivan but neither the Chrysler nor the R suits my taste. I have a E500 sedan and an E320 wagon. When they're sue for replacement, I may or may not simply go with whatever the MB line has in that regard, but it will certainly not be an R. Obviously, there are some who might go R, but I think that MB is more interested in attracting new customers to the marque that in simply shifting existing MB customers from one model to another (unless it is to prevent them from deserting MB).
If the style does not suit your eye then something else will fill that need when the time comes. Having owned MB wagons I was hard pressed to cancel my order earlier this year. However, seeing the production model of the R and reading the intial reviews in the past week I am convinced I made the right decision for me.

You are 100% correct in that MB is not intending to make people "switch" models but it will happen. I wonder how many CLS buyers would have bought the E500 had they not made the CLS available? The same with the R Class...there will be E and maybe even some S drivers who will buy the R. In the case of the E they will spend a little more so no harm, no foul. But they have to impact the competition and get new buyers.

One big impact will be the R320CDI. When that model is introduced in late 2006, I think MB will be in an envious position with a product people will really desire.... a luxury 4 wheel drive, SUV, minivan, station wagon with 30+ mpg...:-)
Old 08-01-2005, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
I would love to buy an S-class estate, but Mercedes-Benz have never made one. Is the R-class the next best thing or should we spec up the E-class.

Will owners of the R-class use all six seats or are they merely buying a highly specced vehicle?

In my own opinion the R-class is the 'S' class estate that has never been produced, so I will be looking at one when they arrive in early 2006?

John
Old 08-01-2005, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by glojo
I would love to buy an S-class estate, but Mercedes-Benz have never made one. Is the R-class the next best thing or should we spec up the E-class.

Will owners of the R-class use all six seats or are they merely buying a highly specced vehicle?

In my own opinion the R-class is the 'S' class estate that has never been produced, so I will be looking at one when they arrive in early 2006?

John
I personally will not be using all six seats. I plan to drop the 3rd row on a permanent basis and as described in the article you posted, have the 2nd row seats all the way back for the maximum space for the passengers. I don't think MB can "spec up" the E Class or will want to if they want it to survive in the market.

A agree with your opinion that the R Class "is" the S Class wagon. It may be shy some of the S Class higher level trims but it is the top of the line "Estate."
Old 08-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Almost a Member!

06 E350 Wagon, 05 MINI Cooper S Convertible
Nevada Jack,
Although I think the R Class is a unique and interesting car (?), it just doesn't "do it" for me in the looks department. It's kinda like looking at Martha Stewart...she can do a lot of neat stuff and isn't bad looking, but is no Catherine Zeta Jones (replace with "the one" for you). For $60K, I gotta walk around with wood all day. My E350 Wagon is blue, kinda like that little pill!

Last edited by e350; 08-02-2005 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by e350
Nevada Jack,
Although I think the R Class is a unique and interesting car (?), it just doesn't "do it" for me in the looks department. It's kinda like looking at Martha Stewart...she can do a lot of neat stuff and isn't bad looking, but is no Catherine Zeta Jones (replace with "the one" for you). For $60K, I gotta walk around with wood all day. My E350 Wagon is blue, kinda like that little pill!
Hey e350...how goes it in Germany. When are you bringing that machine of yours to the states?

I know what you mean about the look, but I don't know if you have seen one of these yet (I have not) but everybody comments on how great it looks. Got a response on another thread that said he drove a test one for a week and it got more looks than a SL65 he tested. Anyway, the E350/500 wagon is the greatest and you have a great car and color. I passed on the new Alpine Rain (lighter metallic blue than the Platinum) because no one has seen one yet. If I see one and like it prior to my lock down on the Pewter, then I may go the blue route.

Don't take too many of those little blue pills...4 hours is a long time...:-)
Old 08-02-2005, 05:08 PM
Almost a Member!

06 E350 Wagon, 05 MINI Cooper S Convertible
NJ,
I'll be here for another year or so. What a great place to really enjoy the E Class. I am one of the lucky ones because I got many of the 05 options on the 06 MY. Kinda the best of both worlds. I've had my fair share of "weird" things happen since I got the car. As you may recall, I got stuck in the snow about a week after I brought it home, I've had tire problems, since resolved with a new set all the way around, my kids threw a rock at my car and I had to have an entire panel repainted (looks great) and just last week a black car ran out in front of me and I hit it. (No damage) I recently got a 05 MINI Cooper S convertible and really enjoy driving it. I think I may let my wife get some time in the E350. Maybe my MB is trying to tell me something!

I know how excited you must be to take delivery of your new car...and I look forward to reading all about it. Hope you'll stay up on this forum, as you are a pleasure to hear from.
Cheers...
Old 08-02-2005, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
We are waiting for the R63 to come out with that new 6.3litre AMG V8. I sure as hell will buy one then.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
We are waiting for the R63 to come out with that new 6.3litre AMG V8. I sure as hell will buy one then.
That will be some "sleeper" at the stoplights....:-)
Old 08-02-2005, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
That will be some "sleeper" at the stoplights....:-)
Thats the look I am going for haha. Of course a twin turbo version would not hurt either now lol.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:08 AM

E-500 Wagon goes 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, according to MB.

One thing, you mention the E500 wagon is "much faster 0-60." Reviews of the R500 are indicating a 0-60 in 6.5 sec. which is pretty swift for a 4800 pound car. They both have the same 302HP engine so I would expect the 0-60 to be quite similar.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:09 AM

Oh, and weighs 600 lbs less.

Old 08-04-2005, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by operations
Oh, and weighs 600 lbs less.
Thanks. The weight I guess could make some difference in the just over a half second advantage of the E500. Is that for the 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive model? The R speed is with the standard full time 4 wheel drive.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
a bit too Chrysler Pacifica looking to me.. I didn't care much for the XC90 when it first came out, but we ended up with one as my wife had to have a family vehicle.. so if you're going to get a family car, and it's very safe.. go for it.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:51 PM

4-matic.

Thanks. The weight I guess could make some difference in the just over a half second advantage of the E500. Is that for the 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive model? The R speed is with the standard full time 4 wheel drive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E Owners Thoughts on the R Class