E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

silly topic, but since the forum is dead..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
silly topic, but since the forum is dead..

The W211 forum seems slow lately.. anyway.. so I am outside watering some plants as my wife takes the CDI to the store... and for the first time, I get to hear the car take off... WOW! The sound was like 70% turbo, and 30% subdued semi truck.. really cool actually.

I don't know if any other CDI owners have heard their cars from outside, but they sound nothing like the old D's.

Old 08-13-2005, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
More silly sounds

I absolutely love the sound of the diesel as it purrs when it first starts. I guess I like engine sounds. I had a 911 and never turned the radio on. I just listened to the engine!!! These CDI's are really great. The V8 will be awesome. I wonder if it will purr like the I6.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm
I absolutely love the sound of the diesel as it purrs when it first starts. I guess I like engine sounds. I had a 911 and never turned the radio on. I just listened to the engine!!! These CDI's are really great. The V8 will be awesome. I wonder if it will purr like the I6.
it will sound nice, but there's always been something special about the sound of an I-6, especially the gassers. The whole V thing is cost/weight savings and contributes nothing to the engineering and performance. Ask any experienced auto guy, he'll tell you the same.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Turbo Talk

I hear it most in "tunnelled" areas such as beneath an overpass.

Turbo is most noticeable windows down, under bridges, 1/4 throttle acceleration in "C" mode.

More throttle and you hear more engine and less turbo, since the Variable-Nozzle turbo is then wide open.

Virtually never hear it in car with windows up....the noise has obviously been engineered out of the cabin.

RE diesel clatter, there is sound deadening material in the engine cover and below the oil pan. If you ever hear a CDI run without these shields, the clatter is much lounder.

Ken
Old 08-13-2005, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll probably get lynched for posting this, but here goes.

My daily driver is a 2001 Dodge 3/4 ton long bed 4x4 truck. It has the Cummins Turbo Diesel in it. I've chipped it, put a bigger turbo on it, injectors, and straight piped it. Man, since it's a six speed, I love to hear the turbo whine when shifting.

Oh, I do have fun crop dusting and fumigating BMW convertibles by flooring it and watching the soot and smoke roll out the 5" exhaust tip.

I would never do that to a MB!

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PHXATC
I'll probably get lynched for posting this, but here goes.

My daily driver is a 2001 Dodge 3/4 ton long bed 4x4 truck. It has the Cummins Turbo Diesel in it. I've chipped it, put a bigger turbo on it, injectors, and straight piped it. Man, since it's a six speed, I love to hear the turbo whine when shifting.

Oh, I do have fun crop dusting and fumigating BMW convertibles by flooring it and watching the soot and smoke roll out the 5" exhaust tip.

I would never do that to a MB!

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.
yup, sounds like a standard issue Arizona monster truck..

:Climbs onto soapbox:

I am amazed, no.. flabergasted at the amount of LARGE trucks sold in this state! In my 200 home subdivision alone, there are several Chevy 2500, Dodge 3500, and Ford F3/450's with diesels... Makes me wonder what property values would be if they move out since they can't park those monsters inside the garage! People in this town spend $60K on a pickup truck and don't think twice about it, then look at you funny when you spend that much on a German car, and call you a snob..

:Climbs off soapbox:

nothing personal to my ATC friend.. I'm always nice to ATC , even if they drive a monster truck.

Last edited by CE750; 08-14-2005 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by CE750
yup, sounds like a standard issue Arizona monster truck..

:Climbs onto soapbox:

I am amazed, no.. flabergasted at the amount of LARGE trucks sold in this state! In my 200 home subdivision alone, there are several Chevy 2500, Dodge 3500, and Ford F3/450's with diesels... Makes me wonder what property values would be if they move out since they can't park those monsters inside the garage! People in this town spend $60K on a pickup truck and don't think twice about it, then look at you funny when you spend that much on a German car, and call you a snob..

:Climbs off soapbox:

nothing personal to my ATC friend.. I'm always nice to ATC , even if they drive a monster truck.

I knew I'd get lynched and flamed. J/K

I used to own an overpriced powerboat (it should've come with the chest hair and gold medallion), so I towed it with that. Then, my wife got herself a horse trailer, so it's good I have a truck. She has one too, though, the 2004 Dodge diesel. Realistically, we spent about $31K out the door for them during the end of season reductions, cut into their holdback and then added about $3K worth of performance goodies on each.

I am amazed at the massive numbers of trucks here too. I see them everyday that are blinged out with every option known to man as they cruise along with their "look at me" smiles. I'm okay with that too.

Funny thing is, I'm casually thinking of purchasing a C Class to replace my truck with. After the rains (remember the news with Queen Creek getting washed away?), I'm glad I still have my truck. No, I'm not a moron who roars through puddles and soaks other folk. That's just plain rude.

I just dust cheesy wanna-be's in their convertibles out for a spin.

Drop me a line next time you're taking a lap around the airport and throwing the hammer down on the X. Now that's a sweet ride that I wouldn't complain about the price tag.

Edit: I have a 4 car garage that I can easily park both trucks in and walk around both ends. Custom houses are cool!
Old 08-16-2005, 11:34 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Originally Posted by PHXATC
(it should've come with the chest hair and gold medallion),
So good..!