Went to Lexus and MB today...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by larryssf
I have only visited the local dealership once (San Francisco MB) for my "free"checkup. I was greeted in about three minutes by a gentleman in a suit and tie who was the Service Advisor. He was pleasant and asked if I had any issues. He recorded my concern (squeeky windshield wipers) and said the car would be ready in two hours and directed me to the shuttle to the city center. I also requested that the front license plate holder be attached (drilled) to the bumper. He agreed and suggested that they also mount the plate and the frame.

The car was ready on time and washed. The Service Advisor discussed the squeeky windows and offered a solution. No, the waiting room was not plush with a big screen TV but looked comfortable. Who do you think pays for that? I was very satisfied with the experience. (Note: this car was not purchased from this dealership)

Well no wonder Hella on a Harley is so satisfied... must be a Bay Area thing... Come to think of it, Autobahn Motors is rather nice to my mother..
Old 08-17-2005, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CE750
the service advisors may as well be working for Dodge the way they deal with you.

Hey, my Dodge guy takes great care of me...$1200 AC compressor & labor for $200. Of course I slid him a 30 pack of Coors Light under the table!

I haven't had any experience with MBZ yet. We'll see........
Old 08-17-2005, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
I do agree that they need a little more work with the service departments. Mine is a like I just stepped in to a madhouse. People going all over the place like they are missing their heads. No matter when I have dropped the car off, I know that I am in for long wait. And they don't open particularly early, either. I need to be at work at 8 AM, and they open the service department at 7:45. So now I drop the car off the night before, but it is just a long process. Sit and wait for me to be called, usually about 5-10 minutes. Talk to the service advisor. Then, arrange for the loaner, and wait for about 5-10 minutes for them to deliver it. And my service advisor kind of does not believe me when I tell him the EXACT problem, thanks to my friends here at this forum. He will give you the kind of look and say, "so, the SBC makes groaning noises?"

This is in contrast with my Lexus dealership for my previous car. True, I was never totally satisfied with them, either, but I always knew that it was a consistent process that never took too much time. I would be called, go in to and office, discuss the work to be done, arrange for a loaner, and go outside, and see that the loaner car was ready and running.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by CE750
Well no wonder Hella on a Harley is so satisfied... must be a Bay Area thing... Come to think of it, Autobahn Motors is rather nice to my mother..
Actually I take my ride to Smothers in Santa Rosa... Am I happy????? Yes I am but I'm a simplton....I didn't buy my car to have a grease monkey kissing my *** because of the price I paid for my ride.... Frankly I find it quite offensive as I can clearly see they can really give a **** about me. I bought my car for saftey reasons as my family means more to me than looking at a big screen, drinking yuppie coffee, stuffing my face with cheap *** donuts and having my *** wiped by the service advisor.

For the fine people here that think they are not being treated with respect or the speed at which your accustom too, then thats to bad....Why don't you simply go somewhere else that meets you high expectations.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
I see we have a couple of former MB owners besides rjm that have sold their MBs yet still linger around here......Maybe regrets or perhaps Mercedes owners are better people to chat with???? I have to wonder what their real intentions are. Sorry, I just can't understand the preaching of how nice a lexus is on a Mercedes forum .....
I agree with you totally. I traded my LS430 for an E55 AMG and I have never even thought about looking at the Lexus forums. If I wanted the pampering, quiet, plush ride with dependability, I would have kept the Lexus, but I much prefer to drive a luxo rocket that burns up asphalt like the space shuttle eats air molecules. No regrets and not looking back. And besides, I prefer the tast of kraut to rice anyday, anytime.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Excellent ! can drive 55 and HELL ONA HARLEY
Old 08-18-2005, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
the MB dealership you take your car to must be an old one, because the way you describe the looks of the lexus dealership sounds like our Mercedes dealership in Fresno(mb of fresno), granite floors, a waiting room with leather couches and TV's, a nice snack bar with coffee, drinks, cookies etc, beautiful showroom with a 2 story high ceiling with glass walls, etc., there's nothing bad about the design. The service at your dealership must be out of the ordinary bad. At our dealership, we pull into the service bay, and if our service advisor doesn't see us we simply walk into his office along the driveway, he comes out, fills out the service form, has a rental car already reserved, and were off in no more than 15 minutes, depending on the Enterprise line. He'll call us when the car is ready, we drop off the rental car(usually free of charge), go to the service counter, and the car is waiting outside when we're done. Nothing extraordinarily good,like the way you say Lexus treats you, but nothing bad. Maybe you just had a bad experience, or is it always that way? What dealership is it?
Old 08-18-2005, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
I am with HOH on this one. I dont need a grease monkey to come kiss my *** or my wifes *** for that matter when I pull into the service dept at Laguna Niguel. This dealership has treated me more fairly and with more courtesy than Fetcher Jones has.

The primary reasons for my purchases of 2 E class has been and always will be the excellent safety record of all Mercedes products, their tecnological innovation, looks, and the overall execution of the car. Sure I have a Honda Odyssey, and an Acura TL, but for different reasons.

The Lexus dealership I went to with my sister to take her SC430 in was a piece of crap to be honest. They didnt offer a loaner car or a rental car, were down right rude when we complained of the many problems that had plagued the car and other things. Clearly her husband has too since decided that they will not purchase another Lexus in their lifetime.

I wont purchase a Lexus since when I took the LS430 out for a test drive the transmission went out on the car with only 10 miles on it. Clearly this is unacceptable for any auto maker. But for me it was more than enough not to purchase the car.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by steph280
Speaking of Fletcher Jones Newport, I've been a long time customer, long before Fletcher jones bought the old dealer and moved to the current location.

I don't know if it's the volume of cheap C-class, or just overall degrading of MB quality, the service center is constantly swamped with people. It wasn't like this before. and the quality of SA has degraded too. I used to enjoy bring my car in for service, now I hate it like going to the dentist. The long line of people waiting to get their car washed, the short attention span of SA, the service quality (I have ALOT of stories about this), and the overall atmosphere just made me wish I went elsewhere. It's just a zoo out there.
I hate FJ in Newport beach. I took my car in for service couple times and i encountered hassel everytime. It is always crowded and I have to wait or chase someone to help me. Mine is not a "beat up" car. It is 04 E320. One incident they gave me a wrong car. Unfortunately, I work close to the dealer so it is convenience for me drop off the car on my way to work.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
next time, get a service appointment first before bringing your mercedes in for service
Old 08-18-2005, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by tyltan
I hate FJ in Newport beach. I took my car in for service couple times and i encountered hassel everytime. It is always crowded and I have to wait or chase someone to help me. Mine is not a "beat up" car. It is 04 E320. One incident they gave me a wrong car. Unfortunately, I work close to the dealer so it is convenience for me drop off the car on my way to work.
Your car certainly is a fantastic car. The one thing I have noticed at FJNB is that they think you have to spend above 100 grandin order to be treated well. Thats a load of **** man.

I bought my E55 from them since they were the closes dealer to me at the time and I got a decent deal, but could have done better. Anyways, I took the car in for a simple service and when I came back they had broken the headlight on the brand spanking new 2004 E55. I had to argue with the SA and SM to get them to fix it and replace it at their cost and not mine. In the end they did fix it. However, they should be able to fuss up and say hey, we broke your headlight and we will take care of it. I should not have to argue with them.

I now live in San Clemente, and i will only take my car and future business to MBZ Laguna Niguel. They are sincere, honest, and let you know what the status of your car is at least 3 to 4 times thorughout the day. This my friends, is customer service at its finest. I dont want someone to open the door for me or give me a leather couch (though they have those as well), I jsut want an honest and hardworking person to keep in touch with me when my car is in for service.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Without providing dealership names this post doesn't make any sense. For example my MB dealer has no car wash at all, but has a big TV I do not watch anyway. My Lexus has car wash but it's constantly broken. I would expect better service from Lexus because I pay for every visit from my pocket, but all my MB visits are free.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:14 AM

Mercedes all the way!
heh, rjm, no offence but you sound like quite the typical Lexus owner, i.e. top of the list of things is a cushy ride, insulation, lots of features, "it just works" etc, with not much interest in the car itself (damn i almost said "car herself" :P).

i'm not saying there's ANYTHING wrong with having a list of priorities like that. but can't help quoting from your post:

ride is every bit as responsive and sporty as the Mercedes. Before trading, I drove the 2006 E-350, E-350 ADI, and the E-500. They didn't hold a candle to the Lexus.
1. the RIDE is "responsive and sporty"? you mean it judders over bumps a lot? didn't think so.

2. what in the wold is an e-350 ADI??

well, good luck with the Lexus anyway

moving on...
at least you guys have dealerships. where my Mercedes is there isn't even one. i need to drive over a hundred miles just to get to the nearest one - but i'm assured of the best service possible (since i'm usually the only person there!) although parts are sometimes late in coming by. and it's nothing like american dealerships to - clean, but the work area is basically a garage that could have been used for servicing anything.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:10 AM

2007 S550/1990 300CE
I think you should send a copy of your experiences to MBUSA. Maybe they will
do something eventually if they hear enough negatives. You have every right to
expect prompt, polite, personal, and pleasant service from any business you
deal with. Not just high end companies. The pampering may not be necessary,
but it sends a strong signal about their attitude toward the customer. Nothing
wrong with that. More businesses should pay attention. Who do you think will
survive in the long run.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:19 AM

2005 E-500
Exclamation Use your Power

This has been a spirited discussion, but one element is missing. All of us should recieve a customer satisfaction survey directly from MB. If you have a poor experience, fill it out and return it. A delaership customer satisfaction index determines the quarterly incentive payments received as additional bottom line profit. Why do you think many service invoice contain the following request: "If you can not rate your service experience as excellent, please call the Service Manager at ......"

That process is the manner in which you can acheive change.

Overcast and windy in San Francisco
Old 08-18-2005, 11:37 AM

08' S550,,,C63!
I also have a lexus and mercedes benz and bmw and let me tell you that the best service I have ever got in my life is at lexus service. Now when it comes to mercedes benz and bmw the worst service here in Puerto Rico is the BMW I hate even going there and the 745Li I have is a problem car. The mercedes benz is a so so service I have to say that there service is not okay nor bad but compared to lexus they are way behind them! I would have to say the best cars I have seen in quality and service in LEXUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2005, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dberger1
I think you should send a copy of your experiences to MBUSA. Maybe they will
do something eventually if they hear enough negatives. You have every right to
expect prompt, polite, personal, and pleasant service from any business you
deal with. Not just high end companies. The pampering may not be necessary,
but it sends a strong signal about their attitude toward the customer. Nothing
wrong with that. More businesses should pay attention. Who do you think will
survive in the long run.
Apparently not according to some of our fellow members here.. I guess we're supposed to drop off our car, and wait in lines like at the Airlines for the $110/hr we pay.. while we sip on cold coffee from the night before... This is the direction some seem to want to drop the bar for "service"

Glad, my expectations are NOT low.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:25 PM

2004 E320 4matic, 2007 530xiT
MB fanatic....where art thou?

Old 08-18-2005, 08:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
I had a similar experience with South Bay MB in Torrance. I have since begun taking it to Downtown LA Motors and they have a little bit better service but still not what I would expect.

I think I get better service at my Ford dealer when I take my Expedition in for work. At least there I can pull in, give the advisor the keys and then walk over to the Enterprise desk and pick up a rental all in about 10 minutes.

I once sat at DTLA motors for over two hours just waiting for a rental and I get some POS Mitsu Eclipse convertible that I can't even see out of because the windows are so damn small!
Old 08-19-2005, 03:38 PM
jef

2003 E320 Platinum Blue, 1998 SLK230 Black
I would have to disagree with those that say we shouldn't expect much of an "experience" from the dealership. I don't want someone to kiss my ***... but it would be nice to actually be acknowleged for the 15 years of loyalty (and 10's of thousands of dollars) that I've given them!!! We in the Washington DC area have no choice since it seems all MB dealers basically suck here. I am 2000 miles past my scheduled maintenance visit because going to the dealership is such an awful experience. However I have no choice since a big chunk of metal flew up from the car in front of me on the highway and gashed my hood and busted up my windshield. So it's at the dealership now as we speak... and now I get to suffer the fight between the insurance company and the dealership over what should be covered. My insurance company insists that the dealer is ripping them off... (but that's a different problem). Guess I'm just soured on the whole MB experience any more... I'm selling it when I get it back from the dealer. Going to go carless for a while.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
This thread is a prime example on why Mercedes could afford to treat its customer like crap: because people would take any sh*t thrown at them just to own a tri-star car.

The author simply compares the experience between Lexus and Mercedes dealer, his last sentences simply state that the German car still drive better, and he wish the Japanese would catch up someday. Guess what ? People jump on if as if he trash the Benz. He trash the dealer for lousy service, what's wrong with it ?

FJ in Newport Beach is not different than a cheap GM dealer. At any morning, you have a long line of cheapo who willing to wait for couple hours to have a free car wash. Sitting in the waiting room and act as if they belong to an exclusive club in society. The amount of car in the lot waiting for service or car lot is like a college parking lot in Monday morning: a big mess. At least 1/2 of the car in the lot are the C, cost not much than a Camry XLE, and drive like a piece of crap (and feel so too).

Part of the "owning experice" is the service at dealer, beside the driving & quality of the car. I don't see anything wrong w/ having lousy service, and have to kiss it up just because it's a Mercedes dealer.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Old 08-20-2005, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
SInce we have a mini iLexus forum here, is anybody going to taste of lexus event? I plan to be there on 6th. www.tasteoflexus.com
Old 08-20-2005, 01:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Well said Zam. Lot's of folks just can't get over the fact that they are brand loyal.

Might as well call yallselves republicans while you're at it.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well said Zam... some people just can't be objective when it comes to something they love.. I love many things, including my wife and Kids.. but I'll be the first to say that my wife could lose a few pounds, and my kids are not behaving as well as they can!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Went to Lexus and MB today...