E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Went to Lexus and MB today...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Daimler-Chrysler have gotten rid of Jurgen Schrempp and Dieter Zetsche has been appointed to take his place. Dr. Zetsche was appointed to take over Chrysler in 2001 and despite brutal market conditions, Zetsche restructured Chrysler and restored it to profit. He will now run Daimler-Chrysler.

Zetsche is also going to be in charge of Mercedes. Don't be surprised if Daimler-Benz dumps Chrysler and concentrates on Mercedes. Although Chrysler has rebounded I doubt that the recovery will have any legs.

BTW, Dr. Zetsche is an engineer. Engineers used to run the company.

Last edited by BudC; 08-22-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian McL
The proof is in the pudding....and only time will tell. MB has lost most all of it's hard won decades of reliability over the last 10 years. Do you really think they are going to turn it around in one model year....do you ? The last two E class cars I bought I thought, "well, maybe this time it'll be like the OLDE days" NOT!!!! These cars have become a cross between the pathetic Cadillac's of the 80's and the Jaguar's since...well,....the beginning.
I think it is time we all realized that MB has changed it's market approach and it's demographic....they are not going to return to producing a quality product that would reinstate their claim to "Best of the Best". It isn't going to happen. The VP's at MB must get no end of enjoyment reading these forums and the debates that go on, seemingly endlessly, about what has happened to MB and why. The point is they HAVE changed the product and the service with malice of forethought and they ain't going back to the way it was. New business plan and that plan doesn't include those of us who loved the car, in my case since the 70's. It's a hard pill to swallow....but if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and ****s like a duck...IT'S A DUCK! And in my books Mercedes Benz is a dead duck, a company that cooked it's own goose. Hell even they see the the value of Japanese technology just look at the "Made In Japan" labels on so many of the major components in their cars.
I'm sick of making apologies for MB to my neighbours when they see the courtesy bus drop me off at home, yet again...the car is just what they want it to be ...no more no less....and we are the fools for trying to convince ourselves that it is more....it isn't!!!
No, but you'd think Lexus winning top awards since they've come out would tell Mercedes to step up the game rather then slipping..?

BudC, You are very very right! The new management which helped Chrysler onto it's feet will do the same for Mercedes. It is only a matter of time. And with the new R-Class already being strictly allocated, dealers will HAVE to comply and beef up their service. It's just a matter of time...
Old 08-22-2005, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by rjm
Treat yourself to a long test drive in the NEW LS-430....you may be pleasantly surprised. I traded my MB E-430 (bought new in 2001) for a new Lexus LS-430 about 2 weeks ago and the ride is every bit as responsive and sporty as the Mercedes. Before trading, I drove the 2006 E-350, E-350 CDI, and the E-500. They didn't hold a candle to the Lexus.
As you can see from my signiature I also own a Lexus LS 430 that my wife drives. I like to compare it to a major appliance such as a refrigerator. It gets the job done, never breaks down and blends into the background. You will never catch me detailing it, never take it for a blast to hear it's compressor churning or sit there and admire its lines. Now maybe if they made an AMG refrig that would be different.

Nice car.reliable(no need to get me started on my '04 SC430 ownership experience) but terribly boring. As far as the dealership experience, it is true that the showroom is beautiful, the service writers always smile, a loaner is there when you need it but the service department is mechanically challenged. Lexus of Sacramento is an absolute travesty. I have said before that I found Larry, Curly and Moe; they work in the sevice department at Lexus of SAC.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Complain to Lexus then, they make instant changes. They don't sit around and wait for a rep to come visit to talk about your problem.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by CE750
BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN I CANNOT COMPLAIN ABOUT VYNIL SEATS that were sold to me as LEATHER! GET IT? Please, please.. say yes!

Yes, Yes, Yes..... I get it...
I'm sorry for being so blunt and to the point Sam.... You see, I tend to look at myself as a problem solver. We all know "the squeeky wheel gets the grease", but crying about your disappointments is going to do nothing for you here. I mean maybe you should be screaming at your dealer.

We all have different expectations and uses for are car purchases. That does not mean I have "lower" standards than you, just different. Perhaps your right when you say I'm not looking for the latest electronic gadgets as it has pleanty for me and maybe thats why this purchase worked (for me). Is the car supose to have these latest gadgets for the money???? HELL NO... The car speaks for itself. What the E class lacks in "push button" technology makes up for it in beautiful body design, superior engineering and build quality. I test drove many cars before choosing this one and felt the ride quality and of course the saftey record is what sealed the deal (for me). Maybe my priorities are in a different order than yours... I tend to want firm solid ride quality and saftey before the gizmos... I feel the car that has both does not exsist.
About service......I did not purchase this car for the reason of getting so called "superior and or *** kissing" service and I feel spending more for the car does not qualify us for it... We paid top dollar for a top quality built car and that sounds fair to me. Yes, we pay alot for services and I also expect quality work for it, but I do not expect to have my door opened from a person in a three piece suit or have the right to watch big screen T.V's and drink Starbucks coffee. If the dealership has these things (and mine does) then I consider that a perk and not a right for owning a Mercedes...Because I don't excpect these things does not mean I have "lower standards" than you, but maybe appreciate them more. If anyone feels the service sucks at the dealer they are visiting then show them your problem solving skills and simply move on, but please don't cry here.

I guess everyone has different expectations of a good forum.... In my world a good forum consists of questions (most good & some bad), but always an answer, fact finding and the sharing of info, some good humor and the comradeship of owning a Mercedes Benz.... Crying about something you can not change does not and will not do anything....Especially here. I guess this is the point I'm trying to make to you Sam and some others here as well. SO yes Sam and some others here, you have every right to cry, vent, whine, etc..... I just don't see the point is all.

Perhaps when you have been here as long as I, you will see its a constant thing.... They come, they ***** and then disappear in cyber space.. I've always said that a unhappy person will take the time to complain and a happy person is just to busy enjoying themselves to chime in here at the forum thus more complaints than complements about Mercedes. I'll let this one die Sam and move on and hope to read some of your more informative posts...

Do you work for MBUSA? common, now.. be honest! Cause you sure love the flavor of their Koolaid! :crazy
My public profile has always been available to look at.

B.T.W.... This is my first MB and the only vehicle I'm "brand loyal" to runs on two wheels....
Old 08-22-2005, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
B.T.W.... This is my first MB and the only vehicle I'm "brand loyal" to runs on two wheels....
OK, when are you going to place your order with Orange County Choppers

Oh BTW, aren't you embarrassed that an old Vincent Black Shadow can outrun you
Old 08-22-2005, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by BudC
OK, when are you going to place your order with Orange County Choppers

Oh BTW, aren't you embarrassed that an old Vincent Black Shadow can outrun you

We all know these hawgs aren't fast Bud, but what we lack in speed we make up in class and style.... Kinda reminds me of a certain car I own....
Old 08-22-2005, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
We all know these hawgs aren't fast Bud, but what we lack in speed we make up in class and style.... Kinda reminds me of a certain car I own....
I thought it was all about the vibration that was appealing. Isn't it supposed to act as an aphrodisiac? If I ever became a politician, the first thing I'd do would be to introduce a bill to make Harleys conform to noise abatement laws :p
Old 08-22-2005, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
I thought it was all about the vibration that was appealing. Isn't it supposed to act as an aphrodisiac?
You'll have to ask the ol'lady about that one....

If I ever became a politician, the first thing I'd do would be to introduce a bill to make Harleys conform to noise abatement laws :p

Damn bro.... You sure know how to hurt a guy...You must have spotted my fishtail "straight pipes" on my ride. Thats OK though, we in the biker world know "loud pipes saves lives".....
Old 08-22-2005, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
You'll have to ask the ol'lady about that one....

Damn bro.... You sure know how to hurt a guy...You must have spotted my fishtail "straight pipes" on my ride. Thats OK though, we in the biker world know "loud pipes saves lives".....
Yup... blaaat, pow, pow, pow, blaaat, pow, pow, pow.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Yup... blaaat, pow, pow, pow, blaaat, pow, pow, pow.

Naaaaaa Bud, its like this..... Its potato, potato, potato.....
Old 08-22-2005, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Harley, I think we're finally dialoging.. I agree that it does seem weird that I am complaining about this on the forum if you're view for it is just a Q&A.. I see it a bit differently. IF I can influence just one guy to pick up the phone and call or email MBUSA and complain about my issues.. Which I promise you have been brought to the attention to the dealer, MBUSA, and DC.. then I will have accomplished something good for ALL OF US. IT IS in our best interest to protect MB from it's managers and to insure that this remains the BEST car in the world, and that a glorified Toyota doesn't begin to take all of the credit that MB deserves (this also translates into re-sale, etc..).

Do a search of my posts, and you'll see many of them (including some to rjm) have been very defensive of MB, where MB deserves credit.. suspension, safety, design, workmanship.. etc.. but IF there is a flaw, I'll not sit quiet about it.
Other members, like DWP and Spartan have all been critical of MB for nickel and dime stuff.. it's not just me.

Frankly, had I gotten an E500 (or had the CDI come with standard Leather).. I could have overlooked the RDS, and other minor gimicks that the Japanese give you.. but that was the final straw for me, and frankly it was disgraceful of them to pawn it off as Leather, when it plain wasn't.

Anyway, I think we understand each other better now.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BTW... Harley .. We're both union guys.. I'm ALPA (though inactive now).
Old 08-22-2005, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Now that explains everything!!! I thought all along it was because you were from the Bay Area.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

that just compounds it!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Well Damn.... You can't all that bad then....

Glad we understand each other a little better.

Oh and Bud..... Quit trying to stir it up....
Old 08-23-2005, 11:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'90 500SL '07 C280 '98 E320, '19 C43
I see it all know

Well that explains it................
HARLEY-DAVIDSON = MERCEDES BENZ = HARLEY-DAVIDSON
Yup...that sums it up.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:52 PM

2016 E350, 2013 C300 4MATIC, 2004.5 C230SS
Originally Posted by xMBZ
I totally agree.

I bought cars at Fletcher Jones and you're right they do have a elegant facade. On the surface they look very elegant but the masses of cheap asses getting their car washed is really annoying. Plus, they do a terrible job I think they just hose it down and wipe it partially dry. They half *** their service as well, everytime I go there to get something repaired I often always have to go back for a second time to get it fix correctly. I try to find mid size dealers for warranty fixes such as Penske in West Covina, which is closer to my work to do a better job and for better service.
I didn't have so much luck with Penske in West Covina....

Already took three visits for my sun roof issue and finally they agree to replace my overhead module under warranty. However, the part has to be ordered.

Took my car in on 8/10 (Wed), was told there are three new recalls and they will perform them at the same time and will probably wont be ready 'till Friday. Friday comes the SA called and said they still don't have the parts yet (overhead module and one of the recall part); I told SA I didn't want to leave the car in the dealer over the weekend so get the car ready for me and call me when the parts arrived and I will bring in the car again.

Today is 8/25 and I still haven't heard anything from Penske yet!!! Sun roof problem still there.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:17 PM

Tesla
I used to have my car serviced at Johnson Motors before Penske bought them, extremely bad experience, even with their manager. I was hoping with big name like Penske taking over, situation may improve. WRONG. It got worse. On top of bad attitudes, the actual work quality degraded. I am glad I live in OC with more choices now.

Seems like all MB dealers have changed. I can still remember being pampered when visiting the dealer back in 80's. No crowd, just very professional SA with great service. Now most dealers are crowded with cheap @ss getting free car washes and free donuts. This is another reason why I think MB made a mistake by selling cheaper cars that appeals to larger population.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:55 PM

2016 E350, 2013 C300 4MATIC, 2004.5 C230SS
Originally Posted by steph280
I used to have my car serviced at Johnson Motors before Penske bought them, extremely bad experience, even with their manager. I was hoping with big name like Penske taking over, situation may improve. WRONG. It got worse. On top of bad attitudes, the actual work quality degraded. I am glad I live in OC with more choices now.

Seems like all MB dealers have changed. I can still remember being pampered when visiting the dealer back in 80's. No crowd, just very professional SA with great service. Now most dealers are crowded with cheap @ss getting free car washes and free donuts. This is another reason why I think MB made a mistake by selling cheaper cars that appeals to larger population.
Speaking of bad service dealers in L.A. area, Rusnake Arcadia service department's Saturday hours are only for "Non-Warranty Repairs Only". WTF
Old 08-25-2005, 05:07 PM

04 E55
I found both MB and lexus offer same good service.

The only thing that I did not like about the MB service is the hours. Beshoff does not open on weekend. Claridge i believe closes at 6:00.

Lexus of fremont service is open 24/7. So i can drop off the car at any time.

Also, I am sick and tired of only getting C as a loaner. Lexus gives you RX, IS, and ES to choose. Although not really rewarding to drive, it still gives variety.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
wow, that sucks. My MB dealer is not drab as your experience. They were very attentive, acknowledge you. Sorry about a crappy experience.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:18 PM

C32
Originally Posted by benzondubz
Hey rjm,

Unfortunately you are not comparing apples to apples... The S430 would be the proper comparison and I would still take the E-Class hands down next to your kung pao wagon.(lol)

ps. Nevada Jack Rules !
Funny as it may be, but it has really started to touch borderline. Kraut has always tasted like ****, and will be. Sorry I prefer kim chi in the most literal sense. And pizza? The only thing I can picture is a Sicilian necktie.

Good thing that you love your MB and I love mine as well, but stop preaching Murdoch propaganda

Last edited by ultraseven; 08-26-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:28 PM

C32
Originally Posted by zam2000
This thread is a prime example on why Mercedes could afford to treat its customer like crap: because people would take any sh*t thrown at them just to own a tri-star car.

The author simply compares the experience between Lexus and Mercedes dealer, his last sentences simply state that the German car still drive better, and he wish the Japanese would catch up someday. Guess what ? People jump on if as if he trash the Benz. He trash the dealer for lousy service, what's wrong with it ?
Nothing except you expect die hard MB loyalists on this board. I expect the same on BMW and Lexus forums.

FJ in Newport Beach is not different than a cheap GM dealer. At any morning, you have a long line of cheapo who willing to wait for couple hours to have a free car wash. Sitting in the waiting room and act as if they belong to an exclusive club in society. The amount of car in the lot waiting for service or car lot is like a college parking lot in Monday morning: a big mess. At least 1/2 of the car in the lot are the C, cost not much than a Camry XLE, and drive like a piece of crap (and feel so too).
Have you really driven one or just based on mere speculation? In my mind the new E, which drives better than the old one, feels much heavier and it just isn't catered to be a driver's car. The C230 is underpowered, but you definitely have not driven the AMG variants.

Part of the "owning experice" is the service at dealer, beside the driving & quality of the car. I don't see anything wrong w/ having lousy service, and have to kiss it up just because it's a Mercedes dealer.
Simple, just go buy a Lexus. Many have done so
Old 08-26-2005, 04:32 PM

C32
Originally Posted by krispykrme
I found both MB and lexus offer same good service.

The only thing that I did not like about the MB service is the hours. Beshoff does not open on weekend. Claridge i believe closes at 6:00.

Lexus of fremont service is open 24/7. So i can drop off the car at any time.

Also, I am sick and tired of only getting C as a loaner. Lexus gives you RX, IS, and ES to choose. Although not really rewarding to drive, it still gives variety.
Krispy - being fairly new in the new car business Beshoff would probably step up the service a notch above the other established names, like Smythe, Claridge's, and Autobahn. Do you go through Enterprise when you get your loaner? I have to go through them to get a C or a ML (the old one) as a loaner at Autobahn.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Went to Lexus and MB today...