E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Aftermarket Airmatic suspension for E W211?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211, W212
Aftermarket Airmatic suspension for E W211?

Hello,

I just wonder if Airmatic can be fitted to a W211 as aftermarket installation?

Can someone tell me the difference in ride quality between a W211 fitted with Airmatic and one fitted with normal coil springs?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:42 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Theoretically, almost any feature or option can be retrofitted to a W211 that didn't come from the factory with it .... BUT, the question is, at what price? Airmatic is so integral to not just the physical suspension of cars that have it, but also to their stability systems (see below) that the cost of a retrofit would be, I suspect, outrageous - if anyone competent to do it could be found.

I wouldn't assume that Airmatic provides a better ride than coil springs alone (Airmatic cars also have coil springs). I think that my Airmatic car rides poorly over rough surfaces even on the "softest" setting, and many drivers of W211s without Airmatic are very satisfied with the ride quality.

Airmatic DC air suspension with Adaptive Damping System (ADS II) Standard Airmatic Dual Control is a semi-active suspension that provides greater ride comfort yet responds to reduce pitch, dive and roll during braking, accelerating and cornering by instantaneously firming up spring rates as driving dynamics change. Electronically controlled pneumatic spring-struts integrate variable-rate shock absorbers and coil springs. ADS II continually optimizes ride and handling by automatically selecting one of four damping profiles for each spring-strut every time a wheel changes its direction of up - down travel. Dual driver-selectable Sport modes engage firmer damping profiles either full-time or at lower thresholds of body movement. Automatic 4-wheel level control includes driver-selectable ride-height control, and automatic speed-sensitive lowering at higher speeds or when in Sport mode.

(from the MBUSA web site)