E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Broke down and installed mud guards...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
I also finally broke down and got mud flaps a few months after buying the car. I constantly take my E320 4-Matic on dirt roads, drive it in the snow, and even up ski slopes! I find that they are very practical. I also specifically kept 16 inch wheels because I have ruined too many 17 inch wheels on my Audi S6.

Bellow is a picture of a loaner E that did not have mud flaps, the accumulation gets so great that it makes a mess when it melts in the garage. With mud flaps, the snow accumulation never gets to be so big. There also are a few pictures of places where Mercedes cars are not usually found, I always get comments when they see me. Like, are you unloading a body from the trunk?

As I recall, I had to get a different part number for the rear mud flaps, don’t quote me, but the front set were the normal number, but the rears had to be for the sport package

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Broke down and installed mud guards...-croppede320-4-matic-ski-lift-breck.jpg   Broke down and installed mud guards...-tooth-time-philmont.jpg   Broke down and installed mud guards...-chnged-summer-tires-3-days-ago1.jpg   Broke down and installed mud guards...-wheelsnow.jpg   Broke down and installed mud guards...-cropped-dirty-pic.jpg  

Old 09-24-2005, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by SAguirre
I also finally broke down and got mud flaps a few months after buying the car. I constantly take my E320 4-Matic on dirt roads, drive it in the snow, and even up ski slopes! I find that they are very practical. I also specifically kept 16 inch wheels because I have ruined too many 17 inch wheels on my Audi S6.

Bellow is a picture of a loaner E that did not have mud flaps, the accumulation gets so great that it makes a mess when it melts in the garage. With mud flaps, the snow accumulation never gets to be so big. There also are a few pictures of places where Mercedes cars are not usually found, I always get comments when they see me. Like, are you unloading a body from the trunk?

As I recall, I had to get a different part number for the rear mud flaps, don’t quote me, but the front set were the normal number, but the rears had to be for the sport package

Steve
Pictures like those explain the reason why a used car from Phoenix and a used car from Denver (or other Snow fall regions) are just not the same. In 3 months of owning my car, I can honestly say, it's rained on it once, and the underside of my car still looks showroom new... The 1 year old Volvo is not much worse.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whatever there's gas in...

Steve
Is the 4th one down the same white E?? If so wow it looks black!..Does anyone know of a set of these for the W220 S?
Old 09-25-2005, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by S-Clusiv
Is the 4th one down the same white E?? If so wow it looks black!..Does anyone know of a set of these for the W220 S?
It was not the same car, but it was another E 320 4-matic wagon that I drove as a loaner car.

Originally Posted by CE750
Pictures like those explain the reason why a used car from Phoenix and a used car from Denver (or other Snow fall regions) are just not the same. In 3 months of owning my car, I can honestly say, it's rained on it once, and the underside of my car still looks showroom new... The 1 year old Volvo is not much worse.
Good point. The pictures do show my E looking quite bad; however, I do wash it thoroughly and take all the grime off. At least in Colorado, we don't use any salt. We do not have rusty cars here like there are in the Midwest or Northeast. However, if you don't have a clear braw on the front you will have road rash all over the front from the gravel on the roads I specifically use high pressure on the undercarriage of my car and I would be willing to bet that my E looks just like new. At least my service advisor thinks that I never drive the car in the snow. Little do they know. . .

I used to live in Florida, right on the beach, which was mush worse than here. I used to have to rinse my car off at least once a week. Not to mention, that the car liked to bake and fade.

Steve

Last edited by SAguirre; 09-25-2005 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
I used to live in Florida, right on the beach, which was mush worse than here. I used to have to rinse my car off at least once a week. Not to mention, that the car liked to bake and fade.

Steve
Beach is bad too, that's why it's a false rumor that California cars area better condition than other states... it's only if they're inland cars (Sacramento etc..)... but generally speaking you're hard pressed to find a state where there is less harmful damage to a car than AZ. The heat here, is about 10 degrees on average hotter than most hot areas, but a garaged car makes that a moot point.

I am impressed that you clean off your car every day after you drive it home... I would do the same thing even if it's a constant battle .. I too take the car in once a week or so for an undersides power wash, even though here I've only run over the occasional water puddle due to over watering of grass on the street or something.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mud guard for W211 (E-Class)

hi, i am from singapore. is there a on-line shop that i can buy a set of the mud flag / mud guard for my E-Class (W211)?

pls drop me a note to allentoh@singnet.com.sg if you can help. thank you.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by S-Clusiv
Yes...on the Accessory List for the W220 it show Mud Flaps for $144 (set of 4). Here is a copy of the Detail from the site. I am seriously considering for my White S430. With the AMG wide tires there is a lot of dirt behind the wheel wells and on the rear it splatters all the way to the rear bumper area. It only take a wet street (we don't see much rain here) to mess up the car.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:32 AM

2006 e500
Does anyone have the excact part numbers for the mud flaps put on? The parts manager at Keeler in New York suggests the sport flaps may fit the front with some trimming and the regular flaps are OK in the back. As well he thinks MB MAY soon offer flaps to fit exactly. anyone hear anything?
Old 12-22-2005, 05:33 PM

2004 E320, 2006 Infiniti G35X, Yamaha VMAX 700 (Snowmobile)
I purchased a set of these from my local MB dealer. The fronts fit nice with the body molding and were easy to install by just turning the front wheels. The rears are horrible, they don't snug up against the rear body molding like the fronts. You will also need to remove the rear tires to intall. I think I will keep the fronts and remove the rears. I paid 54 for each pair, 108.00 total for front and rears.

2004 E320, NAV, Dynamic Seats, Logic 7, Bi-Xeons, Intergrated Phone, VCM,
Old 12-22-2005, 05:56 PM
ON PROBATION

I always install mudflaps on my cars that will take 'em. I don't care what anyone else thinks about a detraction in looks -- they hide fairly well, and how good looking is a tire, anyway? One of my personal pet peeves is someone who threatens my life by not having them and temporarily blinds me at speed because they don't....
Especially bad in the winter with the sand and snow mix, or the mud and snow mix....
Old 02-01-2006, 07:23 PM

Did the same, ordered them though my local dealer, $100.00 for the set of 4. Can't say as I like the look with the color but with the winters up here in Boston and all the damn salt and sand they put on the roads I had to try something.

They have done away with the MB logo on them so they are flat out black and mold around the fenders nicely. One good thing about them is the way in which you attach them.. Each one has 3 clips and one screw, for the summer you can easily remove them and get ready for the summer tires.

I put a good coat of wax on the lip before I installed them, so far I am extremely pleased at the results, My wife's car Infiniti Q has no flaps and the rockers and sides are full of sh**. The Benz is quite clean on the sides. They will come off in April though....
Old 02-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Almost a Member!

I was picking my car up from MB for a service and asked the parts guy if he had them in stock. He looked up the flaps and only saw front flaps listed - he even double checked.

Are the front and back the same?
Old 02-01-2006, 10:14 PM

i like to ride my bike
OMG I have to be honest and say that this is one of the worst mods you can
do to any car as useful as it might be.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:48 AM

11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
The front and back are different numbers and really are different.

F_Porsche - If you want to "look cool" they aren't for you but if you drive where tar, oil, mud, sand, snow, or salt can abrade the rocker panel, the mud flaps are worth it.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:20 PM
ON PROBATION

Sorry - mudflaps are very useful. (I won't do curb-feelers though! )
Old 02-02-2006, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I never had them on any other Mercedes I have owned. I never found a set that looked good enough. I find these to be just right as far as being relatively non visible and yet they do their job.

I have them on the rear on my Audi, they actually add to the look of the car, but I have not decided to add them tot he front. I might get to doing that later though.

Steve
Old 02-02-2006, 01:04 PM

Right, one of the worse mod's, When winter is over I would much rather have my rocker panels along with doors with as few scratches as possible. We are talking about Salt, Sand and Mud.. Have you ever seen what the break dust does ?.. As I stated in my previous message, they are easily removable for the summer show..
Old 02-02-2006, 04:30 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Originally Posted by CE750
I wonder if it's brake dust, but it always seems like the lower body panels just behind the car get this black colored (almost invisible) dirt/dust on them... even if I never drive thru a puddle or anything that would throw dirt on them. It's especially pronounced in the rear which is odd since there is less dust off the brakes there. I wonder if these would halt that?

Anyone else notice this black stuff? I get it on my microfiber towel after I use some mist detail on the car..
I think it is more likely from your tire dressing. My dealer used to spray a crappy tire dressing on the tires each time when I took the car in for service. I had to tell them each time to stop using the crap!
Old 02-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I bought a pair of the front ones, hoping they would fit the E55. But they don't so they sit in the garage. I guess I should ask my dad if he wants em for his E350. If not, I will "donate" them to the coolest dude on here??
Old 02-04-2006, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jangy
I bought a pair of the front ones, hoping they would fit the E55. But they don't so they sit in the garage. I guess I should ask my dad if he wants em for his E350. If not, I will "donate" them to the coolest dude on here??
Determining the "coolest dude" should make this thread worth reading for months...:-)
Old 02-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Determining the "coolest dude" should make this thread worth reading for months...:-)
Definitely you Jack. Look at that sweet avatar of yours!!! :p

And you've got one of the best looking S-Classes I've ever seen.

And you used to have an E-Class.

And you have a ton of amazing pictures on your website/gallery.

:p

But, you won't have any use for the mud guards. Although you can sell them for a lot of money on eBay.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Haha!! Well, I'll ask my pops today and get back. I'm pretty sure he won't want them, but who knows. Hey nevadajack, too bad you got that S, or you would qualify. I've been following enough of your threads and i especially enjoyed your R class drama. HAHA. Now, let's rememebr that the "coolest" are actually my buds on the E55 section, so everyone is lucky they don't fit on those. I also need to check and see if they fit the standard E or the Appearance package. I have no clue why else i would have bout them, knowing the AMG is different; unless i was loony enough to think i could mod them. Oh well. i don't see the masses flocking for a set, so it may just be the first is the coolest??
Old 02-04-2006, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AsianML
Definitely you Jack. Look at that sweet avatar of yours!!! :p

And you've got one of the best looking S-Classes I've ever seen.

And you used to have an E-Class.

And you have a ton of amazing pictures on your website/gallery.

:p

But, you won't have any use for the mud guards. Although you can sell them for a lot of money on eBay.
HaHa...Me a "dude" is really funny! Thanks AsianML....

I would like a set but I don't think the stock guards for the S (or the E) will fit on a AMG trim body. Jangy found that out. The only place my car gets dirty is on the rocker panels and mostly from brake dust and sprinkler runoff.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jangy
Haha!! Well, I'll ask my pops today and get back. I'm pretty sure he won't want them, but who knows. Hey nevadajack, too bad you got that S, or you would qualify. I've been following enough of your threads and i especially enjoyed your R class drama. HAHA. Now, let's rememebr that the "coolest" are actually my buds on the E55 section, so everyone is lucky they don't fit on those. I also need to check and see if they fit the standard E or the Appearance package. I have no clue why else i would have bout them, knowing the AMG is different; unless i was loony enough to think i could mod them. Oh well. i don't see the masses flocking for a set, so it may just be the first is the coolest??
Those R Class threads are history I'm afraid. Was really hyped on that car and then lost interest in it. Happy I make the switch to the S though...really a fantastic car!

You ought to make a contest that the best "dude" has to say why he is the "coolest." Then start a poll to see who we all think is the most qualified to have them...:-)
Old 02-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Those R Class threads are history I'm afraid. Was really hyped on that car and then lost interest in it. Happy I make the switch to the S though...really a fantastic car!

You ought to make a contest that the best "dude" has to say why he is the "coolest." Then start a poll to see who we all think is the most qualified to have them...:-)
That would be a nice read.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Broke down and installed mud guards...