E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Acoustic Foams 4 Home Theater

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acoustic Foams 4 Home Theater

Hi, any audio/home theater experts in here?
www.soundsuckers.com

I want to build a room size 15'x16' (not very big) to be a home theater that looks and sounds.... like a home theater. I'm farely educated in sound/audio but very new how to set up a real home theater so here's my questions:
There's many acoustic foams and diff materials out there to chose from to help eliminate unwanted noise from outside and echos. What are these acoustic foams do and which one does work best for this room size. Do I need to completely fill all these foams in all walls or just in sections and where? I want to learn so please help.
I don't want to tear down the walls just so to install the sound blockers, I'm not that serious.
They averagely start from $15 and up per 2'x2' piece.... you do the math.
Attached Thumbnails Acoustic Foams 4 Home Theater-classic.jpg   Acoustic Foams 4 Home Theater-installceilingtiles1.gif   Acoustic Foams 4 Home Theater-marronpyramid.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2005, 11:19 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
https://mbworld.org/forums/off-topic-21/
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=19
Old 09-13-2005, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
The link DWP provided is a great source and this should be in off topic.

Outside noise coming in is not as large a problem as you think, unless you live in the LAX flight path. The biggest annoyance I've seen is sound escaping the theater to the rest of the house. I used to **** off the neighbors when I had my system cranked up. Thank God the new house is over 200' to the neighbor's house. Regardless of what direction you are controlling noise, be careful not to over do it.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 MB E320
it really all depend on your preference, E55AMG is right, you're trying to control sound waves and how it will bounce around your theater. are you proofing your sound to proof your house so you don't hear outside noise? or are you proofing it so sound doesn't disturb your neighbors? How about windows, are you also sound proofing your windows too? Its all acoustic preference. Standard house will acutally work since they use certain fillings between the walls now like recycle newspaper or fire retartdant foams or nylon fillings. I suggest to match your front speakers and center speaker together and use the surround & back speakers to fill in. Find a good receiver with plenty of power like onkyo, denon, intergra, and Yamaha with 7.1 dts, or 5.1 dts. also don't skimp on your bass speakers...either go with Velodine or SVS. you get the idea. Here's a link to the SVS speakers, i have the 20-39pc+ bass speakers and it is awesome.
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pcplus.htm