E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

I got some help detailing the car this weekend

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320
I got some help detailing the car this weekend

My nephews helped me reach the lower places without having to bend too low... Its great having help!

BTW: I used Zaino for the first time... it is phenominal... takes some time to do it right 3-4 hrs but once u apply the first couple coats it is real easy to wash/apply additional coats... smoother/glossier than I hoped and it stays for 6-9 months!!!! no kidding... friend did half his car with regular wax other half with zaino about 1 1/2 months ago. The regular wax is gone and the zaino is like day one.

I plan on applying a couple more coats but I'll let u know 9 months from now
Attached Thumbnails I got some help detailing the car this weekend-carwash_092405.jpg  
Old 09-28-2005, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
My little ones insist on taking out their "cars" which are basically tricycles and detailing them while I do my work.

I too have the Zaino system on order, and some Clay.. I'm gonna strip off the Wolfgangs wax and try it in a couple of weeks or so when it cools down here. Looking forward to seeing what everyone is talking about with this wax.

BTW... did you get the Z-8?
Old 09-28-2005, 12:39 AM

2005 E320
No Z-8 I bought the Zaino Total Protection Show Car Kit
  1. Wash with Dawn
  2. Zaino Claybar & Z-7 Car Wash mix for detail spray
  3. Wash with Z-7 Car Wash
  4. Coat of Z-2 Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes w/ ZFX Flash Cure Additive (wait 30 min)
  5. Z-6 ultra clean gloss
  6. Coat of Z-2 Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes w/ ZFX Flash Cure Additive(wait 30 min)
  7. Z-6 ultra clean gloss
... Plan a few more rounds of Z2/Z6 before the winter comes

You can replace Z2 w/ Z5 to remove swirl marks and the like.

The trick seems to be to apply many, thin layers with something like z-6 sandwitched between. The z-6 really adds to the shine... I must say
Old 09-28-2005, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

so now this ZFX is added to the wax when? Before you apply? is it mixed in or something? I couldn't quite figure it out from their website.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:57 AM

2005 E320
U can use the polish without the zfx but it will take much... much... longer ...i mean many hrs.. to haze before u can wipe off.

The kits comes with 4 2oz mixing bottles.
Befor you wax u mix in bout 1oz(or 2oz) of polish (z2 or z5) and 4-5 drops of ZFX (per oz) ... NOT TOO MUCH ZFX... Shake well for 90 sec and then it is ready to apply.. the polish/zfx mix can only be used with the next 12 hrs.. If it sits befor use just shake for bout 10 sec b4 using again.

the zfx basically lets the polish dry/haze for removal in 20-30 min instead of several hours without.. really wait until the thin layer u applied comes off very easily with a slight buff... (BTW it wont hurt or be harder to come off if u wait tooo long)

when your done u must clean the 2oz mix bottle of all mix or u can not reuse

Remember apply verry little of everything z2,z5,z6.... the polish is better applied in VERY EVEN,THIN coats... u can layer as many as u like... this guy has many coats on his...looks almost like liquid body...lol
Attached Thumbnails I got some help detailing the car this weekend-paulg35.jpg  
Old 09-28-2005, 08:32 AM

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
2023 GLC 300 4MATIC
Those boys look like TROUBLE!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2005, 09:42 AM

What the hell are they doing stopping their waxing action and stopping for a photo opp?

GET BACK TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2005, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
I'm a long time Zaino user. If you put a couple coats on your wheels when they are clean, the brake dust wipes off easily.

The hotter/dryer it is, the quicker Zaino will cure. It goes a lot faster in Arizona than in Minnesota. It can get expensive and you MUST use their pads to apply it so that you get thin coats. Besides, it goes much faster with the pads. If you order Zaino you will probably get one free pad but order an extra one or two.

People rate their waxes by how long they bead. So do I but I also want a finish that has a deep, wet look. Zaino is the one to use.

Forget about the stuff you get at discount stores. You never get what you don't pay for.

One more thing. There is a fixed shipping charge so make sure you get enough to last a while. You won't regret using Zaino...believe me.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
I love Zaino too, but watch those boys! Let them do their bikes like CE750 said. I remember my 5 year old daughter "helping" me on my old 540. While my back was turned, she dropped the sponge on the pavement only to pick it right back up and go to work. It didn't take me too long to work out the little scratches, but now she washes her bike when I wash my car.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
no zaino for me.... I recently have converted to cheaper/easier alternatives that provide better shine. I know the polymer sealant lasts longer by itself, but I wash/clay/detail my car often enough that I dont need the longevity of the product.

Car looks good though.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by [MB]CRS
no zaino for me.... I recently have converted to cheaper/easier alternatives that provide better shine. I know the polymer sealant lasts longer by itself, but I wash/clay/detail my car often enough that I dont need the longevity of the product.

Car looks good though.
What have you found that will give you that deep, wet look you can get with Zaino? I've tried an awful lot of products over an awful lot of years and haven't found anything else that will give me more than just a shine. Nor have I found anything else that is as easy to use.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:21 PM

2005 E320
Heres some more pics post zaino... this stuffs amazing!!

BTW: Pics taken with my phone camera.. not too shabby huh..
Attached Thumbnails I got some help detailing the car this weekend-dsc00203.jpg   I got some help detailing the car this weekend-dsc00204.jpg   I got some help detailing the car this weekend-dsc00210.jpg   I got some help detailing the car this weekend-dsc00212.jpg  
Old 10-01-2005, 11:50 PM

E320
Lol..what cute kids
Old 10-03-2005, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BudC
I'm a long time Zaino user. If you put a couple coats on your wheels when they are clean, the brake dust wipes off easily.

The hotter/dryer it is, the quicker Zaino will cure. It goes a lot faster in Arizona than in Minnesota. It can get expensive and you MUST use their pads to apply it so that you get thin coats. Besides, it goes much faster with the pads. If you order Zaino you will probably get one free pad but order an extra one or two.

People rate their waxes by how long they bead. So do I but I also want a finish that has a deep, wet look. Zaino is the one to use.

Forget about the stuff you get at discount stores. You never get what you don't pay for.

One more thing. There is a fixed shipping charge so make sure you get enough to last a while. You won't regret using Zaino...believe me.
Just got the Z-18 clay, Z2,ZFX,Z6 and Z8 today... gonna wait till it gets in the 70's here in the late part of the year, and then break down and strip off the current wax and do a few layers of the Zaino... can't wait to see the results.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by CE750
Just got the Z-18 clay, Z2,ZFX,Z6 and Z8 today... gonna wait till it gets in the 70's here in the late part of the year, and then break down and strip off the current wax and do a few layers of the Zaino... can't wait to see the results.
You can remove the old wax with Dawn dishwashing soap. Here's what Zaino says about it.

Prior to using Zaino Show Car Polish for the first time, we recommend using Dawn dishwashing liquid to wash your car. Dawn will dissolve wax and other sealants, and easily removes grease, tar and bug remains. Be sure to rinse your car very well after using Dawn.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:53 AM

2005 E320
Thats what I did. Idea is that you want to get down to the unwaxed surface... then clay to non-invasivly remove smaller contaminants... then wash & buildup zaino polish layers...

btw: make sure u rinse well after dawn & use the orig dawn (in blue bottle) & don't use dawn too often.. 1-2 times a year is fine
Old 10-03-2005, 05:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Originally Posted by BudC
What have you found that will give you that deep, wet look you can get with Zaino? I've tried an awful lot of products over an awful lot of years and haven't found anything else that will give me more than just a shine. Nor have I found anything else that is as easy to use.
TRY THIS PLACE ONLINE

Give these guys a call and see what they reccomend for your application.. Just describe what color you have and basically tell them what kind of results you want to obtain. I know the Zaino works much better on darker color cars, but some of these Natty's/Clearkote products are as good if not better. The best thing to do if you want to do it right is to completely wash the car with dawn as mentioned before. Next claybar the entire car using the same wash soap for lubricant or you can use a quick detail spray. Then once you have the paint feeling smooth(contaminants removed from the surface) you can either polish it or just go straight to wax. You can pick up a PorterCable low speed polisher online or at lowes or homedepot(I can get the exact model if interested).. Then SMP will probably reccomend some of the SSR with foam pads in a couple different stages depending on the amount of swirls/scratches in the paint. For wax, most use a polymer sealant as the basecoat and then top it with a pure carnuba to get the extra shine out of it.

I however am too lazy for all that... I wash it, clay it, wash it again, dry it, then I apply Meguiars NXT(ease of use, significantly cheaper, still great shine). The only sacrifice is the longevity compared to a sealant such as zaino. I try to wax like once a month or so and keep it fresh with NXT detailer spray after washes. My paint stays smooth as glass and alway get compliments on how clean my car is.

The Zaino is good but I think its kinda overpriced. Plus, I never exactly know how much I need to put in the little tiny bottle, and end up disposing of a lot of it after I am done. It tells you to put on a very light coating, but it is next to impossible to see the wax on a light colored car with such a light coat.

For tires, I usually dress them before I wash so I don't get any sling on the body. I havent found anything that won't show on a white car and some stuff "Blue Ice" that actually stained the paint.

For chrome wheels and glass, I use this pink colored glass polish that I get from the local detail supply guy at the dealer. It works awesome... Keeps the windows looking amazing and the wheels even better.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by [MB]CRS
I apply Meguiars NXT(ease of use, significantly cheaper, still great shine). The only sacrifice is the longevity compared to a sealant such as zaino. I try to wax like once a month or so and keep it fresh with NXT detailer spray after washes. My paint stays smooth as glass and alway get compliments on how clean my car is.
Ditto!